You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

5 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Let's get this straight, we basically have decided to downgrade on Fabinho to this guy for the sake of bringing in about 20M euros?

Brilliant stuff Liverpool.

it was virtually impossible to downgrade on Fabinho last year.  Let's see how the lad does first.

• Upvote 1

He doesnt strike me as a dud. We need someone to break up the play and be aggressive, the rest of the team will do the rest. I could imagine him putting Sterling in his place on Sunday, looking at the footage.

Our squad is 19 deep with a few goalkeepers on top. We need quality but also bodies. lets give the lad a chance.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

He doesnt strike me as a dud. We need someone to break up the play and be aggressive, the rest of the team will do the rest. I could imagine him putting Sterling in his place on Sunday, looking at the footage.

Our squad is 19 deep with a few goalkeepers on top. We need quality but also bodies. lets give the lad a chance.

This is the one time you're allowed to be a moaning cunt and you go all positivity on us.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Its a bit of a drop in profile of the players we've been targetting but he's a very good solid player. He won't be a dominating monster that Fabinho was when he was at his best but he'll be a consistent 7/10 and will definately help us be abit more solid. He should be an upgrade on what we had their last season

We whould now buy Tomiyasu for right back and go big for the Japanese market.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We need to buy another big midfielder or a big defender to justify it. No doubt.

We’ve seen this story before though, and we know that’s not happening. This is Steven Caulker, this is Ragnar Klavan, this is Ben Davies, this is Ozan Kabak, this is Arthur Melo.

Just waiting for a weary Klopp to tell us that “this is the best we can do” because we don’t have limitless money to spend, or even as much as that ever increasing list of clubs who spend more despite having far smaller fan bases and never sniffing European football.

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Based on what though?

as someone just said above, and I said yesterday (below) nobody seems to really know what Luis really is, he might be amazing or he might be one of those players that everyone hypes with no real justification.

At the moment he's 3 days away from being 24, has had one real season with Benfica, is yet to play for the national team, gone on loan to Monaco and Getafe and has been replaced by a younger (supposedly better) player in Neves.

If he goes to a team like Forest and we end up regretting signing him in a years time then all credit to him I just don't get the clamour for him like he's an undeniable world class talent at the moment though.

I've watched a bit of him over last few months - based on my best mates mrs' arl fella who is Portugese and a big Benfica fan raving about him.

He impresses me and would IMO fit perfectly into the DM spot for us for the next 5 years.

He is a ball winner, he uses it well when he wins it - his distribution is really good....

His defensive qualities are top drawer - The below figures compare his numbers with the players in similar positions from Europe’s top five leagues — he is in the 99th percentile in interceptions and in blocks, and he has completed 93% of his passes over the past year. He is basically Fabinho from about 5 years ago IMO and if he is available at price that report says Notts Forest are looking at then for me we should be steaming in there.

Screen-Shot-2022-12-05-at-11.34.15-PM.pn

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hopefully he's a young 30 as he doesn't have too many miles in his legs. 

22k minutes compared to Fabinho's 37k allegedly.

somewhere in the 14-16 million range (that being the top price including addons) as a player to back up another #6 and I'm warming to the idea, especially if the Bundesliga references play out.

If he's THE #6 then less so.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Agree. But It's alarming how out of touch our club is. It might sound silly but optics matter, and if you want to bring this guy in, you wait until you bring in the big midfielder and defender first before you announce it no?

The worry now is that there aren't any big midfielders that make up for this. I haven't heard a name that would make me feel better about this signing.

I think he will probably be an ok buy from what I've seen but that's about it.

Seeing the potential fee, I think that might be it for midfield. If we are paying about 15m for the profile of player he is, I assume there is some real belief he will be a contributor. This isn't a last minute loan deal, it's a financial commitment.

I would accept that if we sign a really good defender, and honestly that's maybe where we should pivot. The midfield does have a fair bit of quality and has a good age profile now. But central defense is in that real danger zone, with two declining players, one leaving next season and one who will have a year left, one injury prone player and one shit, injury prone player. 

I think now we have to go all in there. Move has probably been made in midfield, I'm afraid.

Just now, an tha said:

I've watched a bit of him over last few months - based on my best mates mrs' arl fella who is Portugese and a big Benfica fan raving about him.

He impresses me and would IMO fit perfectly into the DM spot for us for the next 5 years.

He is a ball winner, he uses it well when he wins it - his distribution is really good....

His defensive qualities are top drawer - The below figures compare his numbers with the players in similar positions from Europe’s top five leagues — he is in the 99th percentile in interceptions and in blocks, and he has completed 93% of his passes over the past year. He is basically Fabinho from about 5 years ago IMO.

Screen-Shot-2022-12-05-at-11.34.15-PM.pn

And yet he's lost his place at Benfica and is being courted by Forest, something somewhere is amiss.

Has also played in defence, apparently. 

To be honest, I'm not going to shit on the move. I have no idea. We wanted Schmadtke to do something/the scouts to earn their keep/a signing to come out of the blue like old times. Not sure which one this is, but something's worked!

Looks a scrapper and a selfless player, some of the stats are quite encouraging.