You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

We need to replace Bobby, I agree with others that we won't but we really need to. Our front line doesn't have enough players with a football brain. Salah has always been poor in his link up play and passing.

Gakpo does have a football brain, Jota is decent. But Diaz I'm not so sure, great dribbler and a threat, but his final ball and decision making leaves alot to be desired.

Nunez, well...erm yeah. It's kinda obvious at this point. Sure he's a handful but that's not going to create the symmetry and dynamic movements or sustained attacks we need to scare teams again.

We need a proper footballer up there who can actually link our attacks together and bring others into play. And not another fucking tall one either.  

10 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If the Mount rumours are true he's another that can cover the forward positions with Bobby off

'The forward positions' doesn't actually mean anything though.

Can he play as a false 9?

Can he play as a wide forward?

In the absence of that can he play as a more traditional 9?

The first two are the roles of our forward positions in our 'standard' set up.

1 hour ago, Mil-ing Around said:

We need to replace Bobby, I agree with others that we won't but we really need to. Our front line doesn't have enough players with a football brain. Salah has always been poor in his link up play and passing.

Gakpo does have a football brain, Jota is decent. But Diaz I'm not so sure, great dribbler and a threat, but his final ball and decision making leaves alot to be desired.

Nunez, well...erm yeah. It's kinda obvious at this point. Sure he's a handful but that's not going to create the symmetry and dynamic movements or sustained attacks we need to scare teams again.

We need a proper footballer up there who can actually link our attacks together and bring others into play. And not another fucking tall one either.  

I think you've answered your own question there, Gakpo looks like the Firmino replacement.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Rio Ferdinand saying Bellingham should go to United as they are on the up and Liverpool have stagnated and are being surpassed. This season is a write off but next season we finish above them I've no doubt.

For all their celebrations, "if" we beat them today, we are only 7 points behind them. It's not like a huge gap.

3 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

For all their celebrations, "if" we beat them today, we are only 7 points behind them. It's not like a huge gap.

Tomorrow isnt it. I dont think we will beat them but it's this season that's an anomaly for me, we buy energetic midfielders in the summer and we tear it up again.

18 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I'm not sure if I agree with any of this. Salah is a sublime passer of the ball. Nunez has shown he is exceptional at creating chances for others and the big let down has been the players on the end of his chances this season. Diaz looked very tactically astute last season and didn't look out of place when he placed centre and right too. Genuinely I don't know what you think is good if you think our forwards aren't. We have some of the smartest forwards in football. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not sure if I agree with any of this. Salah is a sublime passer of the ball. Nunez has shown he is exceptional at creating chances for others and the big let down has been the players on the end of his chances this season. Diaz looked very tactically astute last season and didn't look out of place when he placed centre and right too. Genuinely I don't know what you think is good if you think our forwards aren't. We have some of the smartest forwards in football. 

If we end up with a midfield that has Thiago and Bellingham in it, a player that is sublime at breaking the lines and then a player that has composure and ability in the final third, we can have all arrows in attack.

If we want to have the workhorse midfield, which is what most people want us to have, we need a forward like Firmino who can play between the lines. 

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Rio Ferdinand saying Bellingham should go to United as they are on the up and Liverpool have stagnated and are being surpassed. This season is a write off but next season we finish above them I've no doubt.

We'll be 7 points behind them tomorrow evening, in a season where they are an all conquering machine and we are poor for the first season in years. Ya I'd go to the club that have had a good (nowhere near great) 6 months rather than a team that has been almost great for 6 years

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we end up with a midfield that has Thiago and Bellingham in it, a player that is sublime at breaking the lines and then a player that has composure and ability in the final third, we can have all arrows in attack.

If we want to have the workhorse midfield, which is what most people want us to have, we need a forward like Firmino who can play between the lines. 

I think gakpo has shown his is capable of that. I think Diaz could do it in a different way, but he'd still be between the lines. Both would take it and run with the ball like Bobby did earlier in his time here, before that injury prior to Madrid 19, but both have excellent touch in tight spaces and great awareness of where people are around them.