You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) - Sat 1st Oct 2022 (3:00pm)

Trumo

3 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Ah OK. Although with the amount of injuries we have over the last 6 weeks you'd swear we had no medical team. 

Yet Diaz came on and had a positive impact.

IMO these medical people have too much influence...i wonder how many of our rivals will have left their better/infleuntual players on bench this weekend as a precaution?

• Upvote 2

Should have spent the money on midfield in the summer rather than Nunez. Thats nothing against the lad nut there were more pressing areas that needed investment and to spend that amount on Nunez when supposedly there was no money or next to nothing is baffling. 

We just need to prepare for a shite season where we end up in 6th or 7th. 

Klopp is always the man. He's getting it wrong now though I don't know how often we have to watch us chase back and concede to think hang on a minute this needs fixing. We play high risk with no reward, we are predictable as its possible to be every single side knows how to play us and we oblige them. The stubbornness is killing us. Nunez plays every fucking game now from minute one.

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Bizarre choice. In a season of bizarre choices. 

And speaking before kickoff at Anfield, the manager said: “Darwin and Diogo came home with little things, and the medical department asked me not to start them.”

He added that they are “probably able to come on” but he would “have to wait and see,” suggesting that, in an ideal world, he would prefer not to use either of his reserve strikers.

In Diaz’s case, a place on the bench comes due to a late return from duty with Colombia, who played Guatemala and Mexico in friendlies in the United States.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/10/jurgen-klopp-reveals-fitness-concerns-for-darwin-nunez-and-diogo-jota/

48 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Absolutely baffling. 

They may have been on international duty etc. and were a bit fatigued. Start them, play well, score a couple then swap them at HT. Not the other way around. I've no idea what Klopp is at sometimes.

Even with the medical team’s suggestion that they don’t start - surely introducing all three as subs (as we did) poses a risk to them regardless? 

As someone else suggested, why not start one or two of them and take them off on 60 if needs be?

And if we don’t choose to use our £80m (or whatever it was) Mane replacement at home against Brighton, in what situation do we actually trust him? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

We still haven't replaced Wijnaldum. That's just one of our problems.

He’s such an underrated player. He was absolutely ideal for the Klopp system.

Supremely fit. Could press all day. Brilliant at beating the opposition press too. Plus, while he’s had his unlucky leg break recently, he was rarely out with long term injuries for us. He’s been a big miss for the team, particularly when you consider the injury prone dross that was retained while he was allowed to leave. 

On a more general point, while the table looks bad, we’ve surprisingly only lost 1 league game. It’s the draws that are costing us again. As @VERBAL DIARRHEA says, if we can get a bit more defensive solidity and start grinding out some wins rather than cheap draws, then we could push up the table a bit. Just a shame that we have a bad run of fixtures coming up.

Arsenal and Man City next two games with 2 games where Rangers will no doubt be looking to kick us to death around them.

I appreciate we could win both of those league games and things would look a lot better - but it is hardly a stretch to say we could come out of them with nothing - and if we do we are in trouble.

I do wonder what impact Klopp"s constant moaning has had on turning our squad into a bunch of lazy bastards.

Don't want Afcon, don't want winter world Cup, want a winter break, don't want a winter break, not enough subs, too many games, games on at bad times, too many internationals.

You do wonder if this narrative about these lads - who're professional athletes on huge amounts of money - somehow being overworked exploited pieces of meat, has somehow started to be soaked up.

I can't be arsed with it, I never.

• Like 1

Trents a right back play him as a right back. I'm sick of these podcasts and such saying its stupid to play trent in midfield he's prolific as a right back keep him where he is .. tell fucking klopp trent isn't a right back he hasn't been all season, his positioning on the pitch is a joke.  He's being hung to dry I'd say so is fabinho but he looks slower than molasses dripping off a tortoises bellend. We keep taking jabs to the face i don't know what we are expecting.

• Upvote 2

Trent is a midfielder, all his natural tendencies come out there. 

He would be brilliant there, not only due to his ability, but his knowledge of how to best help his full back and cover for them.  

It's just a shame/crime we don't have a back-up RB. It's beyond comprehension that our only cover is some teenage Scottish jellyfish. 

Also, is Kaide Gordon dead? 

• Upvote 1

Fuck. Ing. Hell. I dont call our players shit but that 'performance' was appalling. We look to be back almost to where we were before Jurgen came in. The regression is scary.

Before I go any further, the MoTM for me is Alli. Single handedly, he saved our sorry arses with at least 3 magnificent saves. Without him today, Brighton would have put 6 past us. Let that sink in because the players certainly should, Brighton could have scored 6.

The whole day got off to a shit start. It seemed like George had forgotten to play YNWA after the pre match formalities and the dirge that is the PL anthem.

When George did manage to press the play button, virtually everyone stopped singing half way through. Even the kop couldnt be arsed as normally, when George fades YNWA out, most of the crowd who dont start clapping like demented sea lions carry on singing. Not today.

Then we lost the fucking toss.

And within another 5 minutes, we'd conceeded a soft arse goal when Hendo, Fabinho, van Dijk, Matip, Trent and others all seemed to go 'After you, Claude!' expecting someone else to clear the danger.

Except no one did and that little Trossard couldnt believe his luck and drilled in his first of the game.

Within 17 minutes, he'd made it two. I think Alli had made one fantastic save by then as well. The defence and team was all over the place.

Dont give me this shit we always look lethargic after a break etc. We're piss poor this season and it needs to be sorted.

I thought it would be sorted after Bournemouth. Nope. I thought it would be sorted after Newcastle. Nope. And I thought the 'break' after the funeral and internationals would sort it but nope, it fucking isnt and frankly, doesnt look like it's going to be any time soon.

More of the same will be dished up unless attitudes change. There's no urgency in the team. There's no press to speak of and too many players appear indecisive and wanting too many touches.

You can look at virtually any player and they're underperforming: van Dijk, Fabinho, Hendo, Mo. WTF happened to Mo? He's on 350k a week and he looks a shadow of himself just 18 months ago.

Has his mega contract shattered the team unity? It's unfair to lay the blame at Mo's feet but something isnt right with this team any more.

Despite this, Bobby got us back in the game. As his goal was down the Kop, I couldnt tell if he was offside even though the lino had flagged. The lengthy VAR suggested it was tight and to a great cheer, VAR said it was good.

2nd half Diaz started for the pretty ineffective Carvalho and on 55 minutes, he laid the ball on for Bobby to score his second. Bobby had the chance to grab a hattrick with a header but there wasnt enough power on it to beat the keeper.

From a corner we then got an oggie to put us ahead for the first time. But, I had an uneasy feeling Brighton might have another goal in them given the way we were defending. I dont know if Kostas had a knock but it seemed bizarre for Jurgen to take him off and play Milner at left back. Was it tactical?

Again, in the 2nd half, Alli made another remarkable save when everyone defending just seemed like they couldnt give a fuck. The ball got cleared up field and Mo was 1 on 1 with a Brighton player racing to the ball.

Mo just had to win the race or take the man out but he did neither.  The ball came back into the box and Trossard rifled the ball home to make it 3-3.

I was fucking livid. Previous seasons once we'd got our noses in front, we'd close that game out. But we're so poor right now we cannot do it. Too many times this season we've let the oppos score first, Fulham, Newcastle, united, Palace, Ajax, Napoli and today Brighton.

People say other teams have sussed us out. Well, it's the job of the coaching staff to sort that out isnt it? And how does sussing us out end up as virtually every fucker scoring first against us?

I really dont know what's going on. Jurgen has a massive problem to sort because today wasnt Trent's defending. The whole team's defending was poor. Too many hopeless balls played to no one. And what is the point putting Darwin on with 4 minutes left? Love you, Jurgen but give the lad a chance!

Truth is, we didnt deserve to win today even if we had. I listened to part of Jurgen's post match comments. He sounded utterly pissed off. Either the players arent listen to him, arent carrying out his instructions or are no longer able to.

11 points behind arsenal and we play them next in the league. Im normally at optimistic person but, right now, Id take the draw.

• Upvote 3