You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Didn't he leave Arsenal under a cloud - bust ups with lego head and all kinds of talk about his attitude/behaviour.

Issue between him and legohead. He got the arse with him when he grabbed Maupey round the neck after a game and threw him to the floor a d refused to apologise. 

While at Marseille he took a few whacks when he was one of the players protecting Psyet after the Lorient(I think) fans attacked him on the pitch. 

Got a bit of edge and fight to him which I'm fine with. Too many nice guys in our squad, explains why they get kicked around so much but get fuck all protection. 

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Issue between him and legohead. He got the arse with him when he grabbed Maupey round the neck after a game and threw him to the floor a d refused to apologise

While at Marseille he took a few whacks when he was one of the players protecting Psyet after the Lorient(I think) fans attacked him on the pitch. 

Got a bit of edge and fight to him which I'm fine with. Too many nice guys in our squad, explains why they get kicked around so much but get fuck all protection. 

If we were evertonians he'd be a hero now....

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Bought him for £10m, will sell him for £45m six months later. 

He is a good player, only 23 as well. Would be happy enough with him and another of a similar profile. 

Yeah, any French side except PSG will cash in on a player if they can, but that tweet said loan. Not sure what would be in it for Marseille in such a deal. 

I do think we're probably looking for an upgrade in midfield now if we can get rid of someone also, but I don't know if this one makes sense for Marseille. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, any French side except PSG will cash in on a player if they can, but that tweet said loan. Not sure what would be in it for Marseille in such a deal. 

I do think we're probably looking for an upgrade in midfield now if we can get rid of someone also, but I don't know if this makes sense for Marseille. 

Doubt this is happening but a decent loan fee, wages off the books, they've just signed a Ukrainian midfielder, possibility of working up an optional/obligated fee for the summer.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Doubt this is happening but a decent loan fee, wages off the books, they've just signed a Ukrainian midfielder, possibility of working up an optional/obligated fee for the summer.

That's a good point. They signed Malinovsky from Atalanta and they actually play in the same position because they play this 3-4-2-1 where Guendouzi was often one of the players behind the striker. So maybe they wouldn't mind if he left now. 

The reason it probably isn't happening is aren't we at the max for non-homegrown players, I make it 16 in the A list on the PL website but Gakpo isn't on that list which would take us to 17. Rhys WIlliams comes back to take the 7th home grown position Phillips currently occupies which leaves us 1 Homegrown position.

For a minute I thought Guendouzi might qualify but he joined Arsenal at 19.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's a good point. They signed Malinovsky from Atalanta and they actually play in the same position because they play this 3-4-2-1 where Guendouzi was often one of the players behind the striker. So maybe they wouldn't mind if he left now. 

They also let Gerson go to Flamengo mind.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

If we manage to sell our fifth choice centre back we might be able to loan a central midfielder. 

It really is difficult to work out why Klopp isn't winning back to back trebles with us. 

You just irrationally hate the owners and want to be owned but the richest state with the vilest human rights record in the world. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The reason it probably isn't happening is aren't we at the max for non-homegrown players, I make it 16 in the A list on the PL website but Gakpo isn't on that list which would take us to 17. Rhys WIlliams comes back to take the 7th home grown position Phillips currently occupies which leaves us 1 Homegrown position.

We'd probably leave Arthur Melo unregistered if we really wanted another non-homegrown midfielder. What a signing.

I wouldn't be against letter Oxlade go for free. Save the wages but I'd imagine we could get a small fee for him. Even 3 to 5 million would be good, he's worth that without doubt. Maybe he goes to Brighton and we get first dibs on Caecido in the summer? Let the clear out commence. 

17 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Brighton would probably ask for £100m for him as well. At which point we'd obviously walk away. And then Chelsea would pay it.

The lad had trials with us and we wanted him but he felt Brighton offered him a quicker path to first team football.

51 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Be real nice if FSG stopped being the stingiest cunts in football and backed our once in a lifetime manager whilst shit is going tits up.

They didn't make him enough when we were on top no chance now. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Em City said:

Apparently he's a Liverpool fan and we were in for him but he decided to go to Brighton for more opportunities.

He looks the real deal.

He was dead right. While Klopp is better than most for giving kids a chance, I think the overwhelming majority of youngsters are irreparably damaging their potential careers by joining a big club. The odds against them succeeding are far too high. They'll never get those few years of not playing competitive football back either. 

12 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

If that was the only or indeed main issue, there's plenty of easy ways to fix it.

Don't register Arthur frees up one space, release Adrian and bringing in a third choice keeper that's home grown or under 21 frees up a second space.

We could be doing everything possible to try and improve the squad in January, but incredibly we find ourselves in exactly the same situation as we were in in the summer. Scrambling around for a loan move for a midfielder not wanted by their club!

I'm almost 100% certain this isn't on Klopp and the management, but comes from FSG not wanting to do anything more than the bare minimum they can get away with as fucking usual! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

If Brighton want Ox for free, that would save us >£3m in wages. 

Personally, I’d keep him until the summer. 

Honestly can't see why keep him until summer..

He adds nothing - forwards will all be back over coming weeks so he isn't needed to add nothing there.

Midfield are actually all pretty much fit so he isn't needed to add nothing there.

Take him Brighton on Sunday and leave him there.

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

He adds nothing - forwards will all be back over coming weeks so he isn't needed to add nothing there.

Midfield are actually all pretty much fit so he isn't needed to add nothing there.

Has he played in midfield this season even? It feels to me klopp is only trusting him in the forward line, unless I've forgotten moments in midfield. And you would think carvalho and doak are both on front of him now too. 

I'm not expecting to see Jota or Diaz on the pitch for another month or more though! 

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

I see an issue here...

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

Because you'll have to unregister a player.