You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's Matheus Nunes and Bellingham. Everyone knows it at this point.

Agreed. If we don’t sign either, it’ll be frustrating. 

Bellingham more so than Nunes.

Still, I think we need somebody else as well. 

2 minutes ago, aws said:

Could be but I think that this summer will be one of the few occasions FSG are prepared to put a bit of cash in. They’ll need to do something to protect the value of their investment - particularly if we don’t make CL. 

I don't expect this summer to be any different from any other summer unless we have a change of ownership. With no CL money next season, it would feel pretty unlikely they'd suddenly go wild. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Are there some decent bosmans available this summer? It's hard to see with our spending record we go for Bellingham at all and if we do, surely there's nothing left for anyone else? 

Some may have signed new deals but a quick look shows

Milan Skriniar

Youri Tielemans

Thomas Lemar

Evan Ndicka

Marcus Thuram

Wilfried Zaha

Ilkay Gundogan

Adrien Rabiot

Marco Asensio 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't expect this summer to be any different from any other summer unless we have a change of ownership. With no CL money next season, it would feel pretty unlikely they'd suddenly go wild. 

If we miss out on CL for a few seasons their £3bn investment will start looking like a £2bn investment. Putting in £100m to prevent that would make economic sense. 

Also, what about these Federico Chiesa rumours? 

I know i like to screenshot stories I see, I’ve genuinely only seen Chiesa & Berge trending, clicked on their names and saw we were linked. 

Chiesa looked great in the Euros, shame he was injured for the final. I see he’s done an ACL and recently back.

I know it takes time to get back to full fitness etc, I see Ademola Lookman has been voted in the Serie A team of the half season in Chiesa’s position (right wing), so this makes me question him greatly.

Plus Italians for us don’t work. If we went for him, I’d sign an another Italian to keep him company, like a gerbil, otherwise they’d get lonely and depressed. Barella would be nice.

1 hour ago, aws said:

If we miss out on CL for a few seasons their £3bn investment will start looking like a £2bn investment. Putting in £100m to prevent that would make economic sense. 

I get that, but I'm not sure they think like that. I think they just have a view everyone should do better with what we have. In the covid season we faced the same top 4 pressure and they backed out of spending. Klopp claims the club expected the issues we're facing this season after last. Yet we made no investment in the midfield till they were all injured and we loaned Arthur. I think they just carry the view, what if we spend and don't qualify. With the Saudi's adding to the pressure up there, the sale, the lack of ESL or project big picture, it just feels to me that they've just thrown in the towel and they're just banking on the genius of klopp. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Some may have signed new deals but a quick look shows

Milan Skriniar

Youri Tielemans

Thomas Lemar

Evan Ndicka

Marcus Thuram

Wilfried Zaha

Ilkay Gundogan

Adrien Rabiot

Marco Asensio 

N' Dicka to replace Matip. Is Asensio more of a forward than a midfielder?.

Rabiots Ma is a fucking crank. Lemar has done virtually nothing since we were linked with him.

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I get that, but I'm not sure they think like that. I think they just have a view everyone should do better with what we have. In the covid season we faced the same top 4 pressure and they backed out of spending. Klopp claims the club expected the issues we're facing this season after last. Yet we made no investment in the midfield till they were all injured and we loaned Arthur. I think they just carry the view, what if we spend and don't qualify. With the Saudi's adding to the pressure up there, the sale, the lack of ESL or project big picture, it just feels to me that they've just thrown in the towel and they're just banking on the genius of klopp. 

Agree fully except the bit where Klopp said the issues were expected. I am not saying Klopp didn't say it but I just find it bizarre he says that now after arguing in the summer that we had every type of midfielder and therefore there was no need to sign one. Before accepting he was wrong and bringing Arthur Melo.

1 minute ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Agree fully except the bit where Klopp said the issues were expected. I am not saying Klopp didn't say it but I just find it bizarre he says that now after arguing in the summer that we had every type of midfielder and therefore there was no need to sign one. Before accepting he was wrong and bringing Arthur Melo.

I said the moment klopp made a point of pushing that line with every journo on the preseason tour, he said it because he knew there was no money there and he wanted to kill the conversation and big up the players he had. As this window shows, it's impossible to deny we need a midfielder or klopp wants one, so it ends with every press conference becoming heated on that discussion. Klopp knows this and didn't want that right through last summer. So instead, before that subject came up, he got in front of it in Thailand to kill the midfielder discussion. What else could he do "yeah we could do with some fresh legs in midfield, but after making almost the maximum money from last year, we're skint, so strap yourself in for a bit of chaimbo."?

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I said the moment klopp made a point of pushing that line with every journo on the preseason tour, he said it because he knew there was no money there and he wanted to kill the conversation and big up the players he had. As this window shows, it's impossible to deny we need a midfielder or klopp wants one, so it ends with every press conference becoming heated on that discussion. Klopp knows this and didn't want that right through last summer. So instead, before that subject came up, he got in front of it in Thailand to kill the midfielder discussion. What else could he do "yeah we could do with some fresh legs in midfield, but after making almost the maximum money from last year, we're skint, so strap yourself in for a bit of chaimbo."?

We had 8 midfielders already, none of which were going to leave, and were only going to buy the top of the top (Tchouameni), or manage with the ones we had.

It was a case of thinking it wasn't worth it to spend money on lesser targets given the number of midfielders we already had. There was money there, as seen with the Gakpo signing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

We had 8 midfielders already, none of which were going to leave, and were only going to buy the top of the top (Tchouameni), or manage with the ones we had once we bought Darwin. 

It was case of thinking it wasn't worth it to spend money on lesser targets given the number of midfielders we already had. There was money there, as seen with the Gakpo signing.

Gakpo is out of this summer's pot, that's when we planned to bring him in. 

I can't be arsed going over that 8 midfielder argument again as it's been done to death. Anyone who genuinely thinks that midfield was ready for the season ahead is kidding themselves. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Gakpo is out of this summer's pot, that's when we planned to bring him in. 

I can't be arsed going over that 8 midfielder argument again as it's been done to death. Anyone who genuinely thinks that midfield was ready for the season ahead is kidding themselves. 

The money for Gakpo didn't suddenly appear in the bank account on Jan 1. Even if you plan stuff for windows in advance, you can buy whenever you want if the money is there. 

The 8 midfielder thing is just a fact, really. I don't know why people ignore it. When some of them leave this summer, we'll magically buy a couple midfielders. 

• Upvote 1