You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

Just now, littletedwest said:

Really? Surely there are more people earning than there are houses to be heated. And for example if someone earns average salary (28k say) that's a 22,800 payment each year. 

People working for big financial corporations (a huge amount of workers), were not furloughed. Certainly no one I know of was. In fact, I reckon the majority of people weren't furloughed but I could be wrong on that.

18 minutes ago, Mook said:

People working for big financial corporations (a huge amount of workers), were not furloughed. Certainly no one I know of was. In fact, I reckon the majority of people weren't furloughed but I could be wrong on that.

Easily fewer and most people worked throughout.

For a start the entire public sector could not be furloughed, add all those working throughout/not furloughed and also minus the economically inactive (pensioners, unemployed etc).

10 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Really? Surely there are more people earning than there are houses to be heated. And for example if someone earns average salary (28k say) that's a 22,800 payment each year. 

74% of employed people were not furloughed (according to the ONS), chuck pensioners and those not working in on top of that and the number who were furloughed will drop even further.

11 hours ago, littletedwest said:

I read somewhere that this will cost more than furlough. Anyone else seen that and if so how?

Isn't it the fact that the government is taking a short position on the price of fuel but if the wholesale price goes up we are liable to actually pay more than the £120bn?

• Upvote 1

As a freelancer with under 2 years' tax returns prior to the start of the pandemic, I received a total of £77 assistance (1 week's JSA) about a year in. Which they then wrote to me and asked for me to return when I stupidly told them that my work had actually picked up around the time I claimed. Not that I'm bitter.

• Upvote 1

On 13/09/2022 at 10:09, sh#t waffle said:

As a freelancer with under 2 years' tax returns prior to the start of the pandemic, I received a total of £77 assistance (1 week's JSA) about a year in. Which they then wrote to me and asked for me to return when I stupidly told them that my work had actually picked up around the time I claimed. Not that I'm bitter.

Yeah I was on the dole the other year. Its mad but despite what the daily mail says I was actually better off working than getting 140 quid a fortnight for six months.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Yeah I was on the dole the other year. Its mad but despite what the daily mail says I was actually better off working than getting 140 quid a fortnight for six months.

Yeah, I was at least expecting them to give me a flatscreen telly, a new phone and a beach holiday like they apparently give to every single immigrant.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I saw Simon on Tuesday. Forgot to mention you.  Sorry.  

Damn, I'd arranged to go for a few pints with him on Monday, guess that's out now as well.

50 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Looks like they have applied fuck all!  As we know, it's a unit price cap plus the £400. How does their actual current price projection of £214 compare to your actual current bill?

It's pretty accurate, I've given a few meter readings recently. and their estimates have been reasonably close to what I used. Oh well, fuck paying off the mortgage early or putting more into my pension, might as well piss the money away on cooking and keeping warm.

15 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Do you get in and switch everything on just in case you need it?

The only thing we use a lot more than 'normal' (from various reports in the media comparing usage) is the washing machine for my missus's fitness stuff. Everything else is about average, thermostat doesn't go above 18°C etc.

Saw something earlier that said the UK reaped £50 billion (in today’s money taking inflation and what not into account) when Thatcher privatised the energy industry.

The price cap subsidy is going to cost £150 billion of taxpayers money (that’s three times 50 for those at home) and the energy companies are all still private and making massive profits.

Top win for privatisation there.

Just got this from Octopus which reads pretty encouraging that the impact of the prices changes from October will be less than feared.

Based on our consumption last year, these increases amount to £214 extra for leccie and just over £461 for gas. Obviously, if it's a colder winter, the gas bill will be even higher. Time will tell.

The Government has announced a 2 year Energy Price Guarantee that caps variable energy prices at £2,500 for a typical home.
This represents a discount of around £1,000 for a typical home compared to the Ofgem price cap for October to December, and is in addition to the £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme that will reduce all monthly payments between October and March, and the further support already announced for low income or vulnerable households.
On top of this support, we’re reducing standing charges from the Energy Price Guarantee level by 4%. This means from October 1, your prices will be slightly cheaper than the Energy Price Guarantee rates. You don’t need to do anything – this will be handled automatically.
You’ll find a personalised breakdown in this document of how this increase affects your rates, including an outline of what prices would be without the guarantee.
If you’re struggling with energy bills, please let us know via the contact details on this document. We’ll review your situation and help you find financial support you’re entitled to.
We’ll automatically reduce your October payment by £67 as part of the Energy Bill Support Scheme.
We constantly review your payments are set to a sensible level – we’ll send you a recommendation over the coming weeks should they need adjustment due to the new prices.
Of course, you’re always in control, and can change your payments at any time in your online account.
The Government’s Energy Price Guarantee is helping lower unit rates, but standing charges are still astronomical. 6 months ago, we introduced Loyal Octopus support to help address this, but today Loyal Octopus support is changing to direct support where it’s needed most.

We’re reducing our standing charges a further 4% from the Government discounted level – I
wish it could be more, but in times like these it’s only right to direct as much help as possible to those less fortunate. We’ve also stopped advertising on TV, bus stops, train stations, sports arenas and online, and are redirecting all these funds to help customers who are struggling.
For 100,000 customers, these funds will provide a standing charge holiday for up to 6 months, depending on need. We’ll share more about this new program soon.
This ensures if you need support, you will get more of it.
We’ll always offer the best fixed prices we can to our existing customers, but in the current
market, those prices are well above the new capped price. With this in mind, we’re not currently offering standard fixed term tariffs – they simply don’t make much sense right now.
Yours sincerely,
Greg Jackson
Founder, Octopus Energy

He’s not daft Greg.  They don’t want any new customers via the traditional route, as he’s losing money on each one so cancelling above the line advertising is a no-brainier. You’ve probably noticed (ok you haven’t but I have) most other companies have done the same. 

But it’s great PR and will make existing customers more sticky. 

I wonder what else is on the horizon for Octopus?