You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

Referendum has been declared a success, according to official results, in case someone was worried.

The front north of Lyman, between Oskil river and that other body of water seems to have collapsed, but Lyman and that D-village next to it are still apparently holding.

Also an update from Tom, with an even more optimistic map.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/ukraine-war-27-september-2022-3170428e9954

2 hours ago, M_B said:

Maybe the Russians were trying to blow up the nearby Norweigen - Polish pipeline that opened today but got the wrong pipes?

But otherwise, why would the Russians destroy their own pipelines when they can just switch them off?

Numerous reasons: Propoganda, false flag narratives which some seem to have swallowed that players other than Russia has done it. It's better pointing the finger at the US, EU or other nation states rather than Russia turning off the gas supply and being directly identified as the culprit.

Enviromental damage pumping gas into the sea, disruption to sea traffic due to unburnt gases causing potential explosions and changing water bouyancy affecting shipping routes etc.

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Numerous reasons: Propoganda, false flag narratives which some seem to have swallowed that players other than Russia has done it. It's better pointing the finger at the US, EU or other nation states rather than Russia turning off the gas supply and being directly identified as the culprit.

Enviromental damage pumping gas into the sea, disruption to sea traffic due to unburnt gases causing potential explosions and changing water bouyancy affecting shipping routes etc.

If it is the russians then I'm more inclined to believe its internal politics. I don't think Putin would ever be arsed about what other nations would say if he turned off the gas supply, and by destroying the pipelines you remove it as a negotiating tool. It just doesn't make sense.

9 hours ago, M_B said:

Maybe the Russians were trying to blow up the nearby Norweigen - Polish pipeline that opened today but got the wrong pipes?

But otherwise, why would the Russians destroy their own pipelines when they can just switch them off?

To show that they have the ability to blow up gas pipe lines and are willing to do it. It very much puts the Norwegian - Polish pipeline in the picture.

It begs the question, will it be considered an act of war on a NATO country blowing up the line between two NATO members if they do it in international waters?

Don't worry, Trump will save the day...

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/109075693097650167

U.S. “Leadership” should remain “cool, calm, and dry” on the SABOTAGE of the Nord Stream Pipelines. This is a big event that should not entail a big solution, at least not yet. The Russia/Ukraine catastrophe should NEVER have happened, and would definitely not have happened if I were President. Do not make matters worse with the pipeline blowup. Be strategic, be smart (brilliant!), get a negotiated deal done NOW. Both sides need and want it. The entire World is at stake. I will head up group???

5 hours ago, M_B said:

Well, I guess the silence from Russia does infact indicate they are involved otherwise they'd surely be pointing the finger at the US by now.

They, the Russians, just let their trolls and the gullible point the finger at others.

There seems to be quite a bit of one dimensional thinking going on with comments like Putin had no need to use explosives when he could just turn off the gas, ergo, wasnt him, being made in a lot of articles.

But as I said earlier, there's many reasons why they have done this. The gas is already virtually turned off and by destroying a couple of pipelines, it also sends a message that others can be similarly attacked and it's near impossible to fully protect these lines.

you would think in this day and age that saboteurs would be identified within hours thanks to satellite imagery.

smacks of russia making shit up to serve it own needs.

edit: just read that the Russians could've used a mine/explosive that would detonate months after launch, be it by land/sea/air.

19 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

you would think in this day and age that saboteurs would be identified within hours thanks to satellite imagery.

edit: just read that the Russians could've used a mine/explosive that would detonate months after launch, be it by land/sea/air.

All the evidence seems to suggest some kind of explosion near to the pipelines and the pressure wave causing the ruptures.

But, they could have sent 3 what are called pipe 'pigs' cleaning or inspection machine down the actual pipeline loaded with a bit of Russian semtex and blown them up from the inside.

When they get the equipment on site in a couple of weeks, underwater pictures should be able to determine whether the explosions were external or internal.

27 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

It’s under water. 

1 hour ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the explosives were already built in, seems like something he'd do. The small fuck. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, M_B said:

If it is the russians then I'm more inclined to believe its internal politics. I don't think Putin would ever be arsed about what other nations would say if he turned off the gas supply, and by destroying the pipelines you remove it as a negotiating tool. It just doesn't make sense.

An interesting line of thought. Gazprom bankroll Putin so guess they’re not too happy being told what to do by him (numerous bogus ‘technical issues’ to limit supply to the west to score political leverage = banjaxing their income). Haven’t a few of their higher-ups been defenestrated recently too? 

27 minutes ago, cochyn said:

An interesting line of thought. Gazprom bankroll Putin so guess they’re not too happy being told what to do by him (numerous bogus ‘technical issues’ to limit supply to the west to score political leverage = banjaxing their income). Haven’t a few of their higher-ups been defenestrated recently too? 

Gazprom’s traders in the U.K. have been given their annual bonus to encourage them to stay in the new company.