You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

Nuclear weapons would probably push China & Turkey to abandon Russia as well. Internally it would probably lead to significant unrest, probably the end of him in the short-term and would set the bar for peace talks at nuclear disarmament in the longer-term, which is the one thing they really don't want.

Using nuclear weapons for a territorial dispute would be a disaster for Russia, and a monstrous act into the bargain. There would be no going back. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Nuclear weapons would probably push China & Turkey to abandon Russia as well. Internally it would probably lead to significant unrest, probably the end of him in the short-term and would set the bar for peace talks at nuclear disarmament in the longer-term, which is the one thing they really don't want.

Using nuclear weapons for a territorial dispute would be a disaster for Russia, and a monstrous act into the bargain. There would be no going back. 

Sorry Pidge, that just isn't correct. Except for the monstrous act part.

Unrest is a valid point, but really, Putin has a solid grip on Russia. That might change if he mobilizes a bunch of disgruntled servicemen who then hang around in Moscow waiting for deployment, but surely the Russians won't make that mistake twice?

10 minutes ago, M_B said:

Sorry Pidge, that just isn't correct. Except for the monstrous act part.

Unrest is a valid point, but really, Putin has a solid grip on Russia. That might change if he mobilizes a bunch of disgruntled servicemen who then hang around in Moscow waiting for deployment, but surely the Russians won't make that mistake twice?

I think he's weakening that constantly, personally. But you're right, hard to say how much of the control is real across the country and how much is based on fear. Thought I may have overstated on Turkey, mind you. How much Erdogan has to lose without Russia behind him may mean he's happy enough with anything that doesn't encroach his fiefdom.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

There's really bad institutionalised bullying in the Russian army. There was a story a few years ago about how one lad had literally been beaten to death by his drill sergeants. 

Yeah, I remember seeing a documentary about it years ago. It was absolutely brutal. Honestly think I'd rather be in prison.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yeah, I remember seeing a documentary about it years ago. It was absolutely brutal. Honestly think I'd rather be in prison.

I remember when they invaded Georgia and there was footage of these Russian soldiers going around a Georgian base that'd been built by NATO and they were fuming because they had stuff like curtains and bedding.

Watched this last night, its absolutely fantastic. Shows Gorbachev reflecting on days gone by, personally and politically, shows how badly he misses his wife Raina.

The continuous playing of Ukrainian songs/poems and the fact Gorbachev and his wife both had Ukrainian parents shows how interwoven the two countries are. Even close to the end of his life Gorbachev is still astute and engrossing in every thing he does and every word he says.

The insight into the inner workings of the KGB politburo of is enthralling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001c1my

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I remember when they invaded Georgia and there was footage of these Russian soldiers going around a Georgian base that'd been built by NATO and they were fuming because they had stuff like curtains and bedding.

To be fair I remember having a nose around the USS Winston Churchill and fuming at the luxuries they had compared to our ships. Fucking ice cream machines the cunts 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They don't have booze though so they compared to royal navy ships?

We were invited on for a BBQ on the flight deck and they had shit loads in the hangar for it but a few of them were in awe at how much we put away. "Gee you guys can really drink" 

Mind you I've been on the piss with a few American sailors when they have been in Pompey and they could put whisky away like water. Not arsed by beer, they just drank shorts. 

Their ships are something else though mate. Like being in a space-ship. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We were invited on for a BBQ on the flight deck and they had shit loads in the hangar for it but a few of them were in awe at how much we put away. "Gee you guys can really drink" 

Mind you I've been on the piss with a few American sailors when they have been in Pompey and they could put whisky away like water. Not arsed by beer, they just drank shorts. 

Their ships are something else though mate. Like being in a space-ship. 

My uncle was on a us carrier in the 80s, said it was huge obviously but wacky. Reckoned the post man had a gun in case he got jumped and different races bunked separately so they wouldn't scrap, Mexicans and El Salvadorans I think.

Just now, Section_31 said:

My uncle was on a us carrier in the 80s, said it was huge obviously but wacky. Reckoned the post man had a gun in case he got jumped and different races bunked separately so they wouldn't scrap, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans I think.

Yep I've heard that about their carriers. Armed guards in certain quarters. Fucking nuts. Like a floating city. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

If these are real I fear Ukraine may have to surrender immediately. 

I’ve genuinely always been worried about a war with Russia as imagined their army to be hordes of well trained, well equipped, evil, horrible bastards. These days I think a ground war is more likely to look like a scrap outside Mr Smith's at 1am. But with worse gear.

• Upvote 1