You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

George Galloway winning 40% of the vote in Rochdale is a kick in the balls for Starmer 

Nah there was no labour candidate.

Galloway like to pick and choose what outrages him, doesn't like Israel but no problem with Russia (who he takes money off).

He'll be out at the next election,  be it May or October.

• Upvote 4

He’s an absolute tool but he’s right to be calling for a ceasefire and I think this sends a message that enough people in this country have had enough of the world standing by to the genocide being allowed to happen. 

4 hours ago, The wanderer said:

Behave,  they are as bad as each other . Neither will debate anything reasonably and seem to think screaming insults is a good response to a difficult question. Tolerance of alternative viewpoints is a thing of the past . Sadly a lot of it has been media driven and the rest by clueless fuckers.

I am not disagreeing with you. I was disagreeing with the OP who said that moaning came primarily from the left. this is incorrect.

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He’s an absolute tool but he’s right to be calling for a ceasefire and I think this sends a message that enough people in this country have had enough of the world standing by to the genocide being allowed to happen. 

I genuinely find it odd that an MP would be elected for their views on foreign policy. Unless they're a minister, 99% of an MP's workload is (or should be) on local issues. Getting people's rooves fixed, supporting a local resident who's trapped abroad, getting someone their benefits back etc.

Will be interesting to see how he is with that stuff. He may be good, will have to wait and see. I think Lloyd was considered a good local MP.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah, I think we've got plenty of insincere chuntering left in us yet, years of it. 

The genocide is more likely to end with a CIA bullet.  Biden has tried a few times to drop a heavy hint that Israel have gone too far and need to wind it back in, but they've defied him. 

Back on the subject of Rochdale, it truly is League of Gentlemen territory and they can fuck off. 

The year is 2024 and you choose George Galloway to represent you in parliament.  Unreal. In his speech where he calls Starmer out on Gaza, he refers to the "you will pay a high price for the role you have played in enabling, encouraging and covering for the......*pause*...catastrophe in Gaza".

He fucking bottles it. 

I think just as significant is the business man, who until four weeks ago didn't have a party, ran on completely local issues only and came a comfortable second.  

All major parties were told to fuck themselves.  

4 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I think just as significant is the business man, who until four weeks ago didn't have a party, ran on completely local issues only and came a comfortable second.  

Yep. Regardless of no Labour candidate it sends a message that Gaza matters to people. Of course it’s not a local issue but people don’t always care about the roads on their high street compared to the bigger picture. I think it shows Starmer that there will be enough people against his stance. He will still walk the election so won’t be hugely worried. Still a kick in the balls imo. 

13 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Good to see our friend Weizchuck finished sixth too.

I reckon Labour HQ and Starmer will be quite happy with Galloway getting in. It's a protest vote, but one that resonates farther afield. Galloway chooses his battle grounds, but he's disliked in more places than he's respected. 

It's a short term wake up call for Labour voters thinking of staying home come election day. Tired of Labour? Think all politicians are as bad as each other? Well, this is what you might get. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nah there was no labour candidate.

Galloway like to pick and choose what outrages him, doesn't like Israel but no problem with Russia (who he takes money off).

He'll be out at the next election,  be it May or October.

He'll definitely be out at the next election as he's already said he will not be standing again. Not to say he won't change his mind. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. Regardless of no Labour candidate it sends a message that Gaza matters to people. Of course it’s not a local issue but people don’t always care about the roads on their high street compared to the bigger picture. I think it shows Starmer that there will be enough people against his stance. He will still walk the election so won’t be hugely worried. Still a kick in the balls imo. 

I think people are tying themselves in knots trying to pin down Starmer on how he constructs a sentence on Gaza.  He's always been for a ceasefire or a stop in fighting, but for some reason there's been a perverse intoxication around this, as if there is a magic phrase that if uttered by the Leader of the Opposition would somehow stop a global conflict, even though our government is still selling weapons to Israel. 

I don't find any of the discourse from any party to be particularly helpful to the 25,000 Palestinian women and children that have been murdered by Israel in a 5 month terrorist attack, particularly when they've been blown up by British weapons. 

But there's definitely a problem, and I think it was brilliantly put last night on QT by Tim Stanley, a Tory, but also an historian who felt that there was a growing trend of early death being an acceptable outcome in our modern life.  The proliferation of wars is on the rise across the world, as living standards fall in western society, and now I notice more and more adverts on the telly for funeral services, and charities trying to plug gaps where governments should be.  Human life is getting cheaper again, and historically this does not end well. 

15 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I reckon Labour HQ and Starmer will be quite happy with Galloway getting in. It's a protest vote, but one that resonates farther afield. Galloway chooses his battle grounds, but he's disliked in more places than he's respected. 

It's a short term wake up call for Labour voters thinking of staying home come election day. Tired of Labour? Think all politicians are as bad as each other? Well, this is what you might get. 

On this occasion 'this' is a politican calling out genocide.

The alternative? possibly an ex Tory who's perfectly comfortable with the daily slaughter of women and children. 

52 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I genuinely find it odd that an MP would be elected for their views on foreign policy.

More than a third of Rochdale's constituents are Muslim. I'd imagine what is happening in Gaza is extremely important to a lot of them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, redinblack said:

I am not disagreeing with you. I was disagreeing with the OP who said that moaning came primarily from the left. this is incorrect.

Yes, but why the fuck do the right moan? They've got everything going their way, and it's still not enough.

The left have a right to moan at this point in time.

Can't believe Galloway won, whether you believe Labour put a candidate up or not.

He is a wanker, but if he gets the Gaza ceasefire talk going in the right direction or even just keeps it at the front of people's minds, he'll be a useful wanker.

Then at the next GE he can go back to drinking milk like a cat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

George Galloway would call for literally anything that serves George Galloway.  He's a cunt.

I think it's fair to say that Rochdale is not a bellwether, given that 61% of votes went to candidates who won't be seen at a a General Election.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Yes, but why the fuck do the right moan? They've got everything going their way, and it's still not enough.

The left have a right to moan at this point in time.

Can't believe Galloway won, whether you believe Labour put a candidate up or not.

He is a wanker, but if he gets the Gaza ceasefire talk going in the right direction or even just keeps it at the front of people's minds, he'll be a useful wanker.

Then at the next GE he can go back to drinking milk like a cat.

The left moan because living standards are a disgrace and the rich are stealing our money. The right moan because The Pogues removed an offensive word from a song. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

George Galloway would call for literally anything that serves George Galloway.  He's a cunt.

I think it's fair to say that Rochdale is not a bellwether, given that 61% of votes went to candidates who won't be seen at a a General Election.

Where have I said he’s not a cunt? George Galloway has just won a by-election with 40% of the vote and has said “this is for Gaza” 

If that doesn’t rankle a bit with Starmer I’d be very very surprised. That’s my point. But of course #politicslive on here know more. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Where have I said he’s not a cunt? George Galloway has just won a by-election with 40% of the vote and has said “this is for Gaza” 

If that doesn’t rankle a bit with Starmer I’d be very very surprised. That’s my point. But of course #politicslive on here know more. 

Apparently part of the reason that Starmer was reluctant to suspend Azhar Ali was because they knew this would probably hand the seat to Galloway. 

If the General Election isn't until mid November it gives Galloway a lot of time to whip up a lot of pressure on Starmer regarding his stance on Gaza.      

• Upvote 1