You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’d imagine it’s an absolutely huge number of people, especially when you consider that obesity is also thought to be one of said health issues. This forum alone is completely heaving with retards and fat bastards. 

Looking at your picture in the avatar I wouldn't be too worried about the figures for non-underlying conditions , Cap'n, and parrots are the new bat.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I hope someone lets a load of lions out the back of a van mid party 

You would think/hope it won't get started due to the nice way they have given the authorities fair warning. These fuckers are bat shit crazy and proof that a large percentage of society are utter selfish cunts. 

18 minutes ago, ))) said:

97248609_2656625354621802_8239504624021667840_n.png

Does the 'new normal' include writing down the date and time of the crime that you are planning to commit and making it public?

4 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

If anything this is an indicator of how supine and poor our journalists are, no doubt many of them went into it thinking they would be Woodward or Bernstein and now they spend their days rewriting government press releases, toadying to internal sources in the conservative party and trying to write uplifting storys so as to 'reflect the nation's mood. At least they get to pad around all day in their £1.5m townhouses in London, what an arduous life it is.

I couldn't agree more. I lay the blame mainly on the bbc. It's a government mouthpiece and they no longer try to deny it. You compere the bbc coverage of Italy when they were engulfed compared to softly softly reporting of our own country when our ineptitude ensured we surpassed them,  chalk and cheese, the former was a disaster zone whereas our death toll hardly registers.

• Upvote 2

So the cost of Corona is 300 billion. Scrap HS2 100 billion right there. I know there's no magic money tree but it seems harsh freezing public sector pay yet again. Why isn't there first idea... let's collect taxes of those who avoid it, close loopholes. I've no issue with my income tax going up to pay this but is it not time for new ideas and ways rather than every time, freeze public pay... increase VAT rinse repeat. 

They should be making a real living wage, stop subsidising pay with tax payers money. More money people have more tax they will pay, more they will spend, less they will need government help. Make work pay.

• Upvote 1

Talking of the bbc I read that Corbyn is the only opposition leader not to appear on the bbc radio 4 show desert island discs. Spin doctors view the program as an easy hit to let middle england view the politicians humane side. Corbyn was denied the opportunity.

If I was him I'd now kick up a stink and complain, then when they now let him on chose the below record as one of the songs that meen the most to him and dedicate it to Maureen Lipman. Fuck em

“Good news son, you get to go back to school!” 

“Oh great, so the germs are gone?” 

“Ummmm yeah, pretty much... I mean technically there’s more deaths per day than there was when they closed the school... but I’m sure it’s fine.” 

“I can’t wait to play with my friends!” 

“Well yeah, you might see some of your friends, but you won’t be able to touch them or play with them.” 

“Why?” 

“Because of the germs.” 

“But there aren’t any germs now?!” 

“Right....but there might be... so you can’t go close to your friends.” 

“Oh well, at least I’ll see them.” 

“Well, you might not see them all because you might not all be in the same classroom.” 

“Oh, but I’ll be in my classroom though right?” 

“Well you might not be because you’ll have to spread out a bit.” 

“Spread out to where?” 

“To the other classrooms.”

“But won’t the other classes be in their rooms?” 

“No the other classes won’t be there.” 

“Why?” 

“Because of the germs.” 

“But why am I the only one going back?” 

“Ummm..... because you’re small and you can spread out more?... because you don’t take up so much space?!?.... honestly no one knows mate.” 

“Oh well, at least I’ll see my teacher... but wait...Mum how will my teacher be in all the classrooms at once?” 

“Well, you might not have your teacher.” 

“Who will I have?” 

“I don’t know...” 

“Oh.... if I’m going back to school can we go and get my new school shoes? Remember you said I would have to get new shoes because my feet have grown?!” 

“Right... yeah... it’s not safe to open the shops so we can’t get shoes.” 

“But it is safe for me to go to school?” 

“Yep, maybe... unless there’s a spike in the virus, then we might have to stay home again.” 

“How will they know if there’s a spike in the virus though Mum?” 

“Hospital admissions... and number of deaths.” 

“But what if I’ve already got it by then, from going to school?” 

“Well you probably won’t die because you’re young.” 

“Do children not die then?” 

“Most of them don’t.” 

“But grownups do?” 

“Some, yes.” 

“So what about my teacher?” 

“........?” 

“Mum is it ok if I don’t go back to school? It doesn’t sound like it’s the right time yet”

“Yes mate that’s fine, you’re right, let’s stay home”

• Upvote 1

There's a brewing scandal breaking about care homes too. A whistle-blower has claimed that care homes were told that they'd have funding held back if they didn't agree to take in new residents who'd just been released from hospital, some of them coronavirus patients, some suspected but who hadn't been tested. 

A few people are tweeting snippets of the whistle-blower's claims. 

Some interesting data from Actuaries

They estimate 60,000 excess deaths and death rates much higher in every age group over 45.

People thinking this is similar to the Flu in mortality rates are completely delusional

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TK421 said:

You're assuming that 3 million people have coronavirus, then making the ridiculous jump that all of them recover no problem.  How many of those 3 million would progress to hospital and then death? You have no idea, you just assume they all recover and conclude that the mortality rate is 0.001% for this fortunate group of people.  It's complete fantasy and statistically illiterate.  

I can only assume, we don't have the exact number. I have provided the reasoning behind my assumption.The other number is taken from official statistic of hospital deaths so for in England. Number for people under the age of 40 without comorbidities is fairly low and not inconsistent with numbers in other affected countries. Even if you half the number of estimates cases so far, and double the number of deaths for possible non-hospital deaths of under 40s without underlying conditions (which I assume would be lower than in other age groups because old people or already seriously ill people are more likely (in my opinion) to have a death certificate issued without covid or die without asking for or given medical assistance in hospital) it is still relatively low, 1:25,000 if I am not mistaken.

As already discussed, I don't know how many in this category would have to be hospitalized, or suffer a serious case with long term consequences, since we still do not know much or enough about the virus. Hence my skepticism over how reliable removing socioeconomic factors from the BAME (a demographic concept specific to the UK) data actually is (especially since they already have important data for various groups, prevalence of diabetes in Bangladeshi men over 60 makes them more vulnerable etc.)

It is, to me, fairly obvious that governments don't actually know what measures work (a quick survey round Europe tells us there are hard to explain differences in all areas) and what measures are not worth pursuing, so looking at data how different categories of population are affected may help create a more targeted approach. Instead of paying all people 11 billion pounds to sit at home and wait for their jobs to disappear in the future, maybe you can spend 2 billion to make sure all public transport runs at full capacity and companies are subsidized to have staggering work hours, or instead of smashing the economy by furloughing 7.5 million people for 3 months, you can do more "saving lives" by furloughing just 1 million for 12 months. And so on.

• Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Poll today. Is Boris Johnson doing a good job?  Yes 57%.  I fucking despair.

For a bit of perspective, Mark Rutte of the Netherlands had around 75% last time I saw it and there's a hell of a lot more parties to vote for over here. 

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I can only assume, we don't have the exact number. I have provided the reasoning behind my assumption.The other number is taken from official statistic of hospital deaths so for in England. Number for people under the age of 40 without comorbidities is fairly low and not inconsistent with numbers in other affected countries. Even if you half the number of estimates cases so far, and double the number of deaths for possible non-hospital deaths of under 40s without underlying conditions (which I assume would be lower than in other age groups because old people or already seriously ill people are more likely (in my opinion) to have a death certificate issued without covid or die without asking for or given medical assistance in hospital) it is still relatively low, 1:25,000 if I am not mistaken.

You're making a series of assumptions that have no grounding in reality. You're assuming three million people have the virus and recover no problem, and that none of them progress to hospital or have comorbidities.  In reality, such a sample does not exist.  It's pure guesswork. 

17 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

For a bit of perspective, Mark Rutte of the Netherlands had around 75% last time I saw it and there's a hell of a lot more parties to vote for over here. 

Around 75% of Dutch people are stuck in a rutte ...

...I'll get my jas

20 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Sorry for my ignorance cloggs but does Rutte play for Ajax or Psv ?

16 minutes ago, TK421 said:

You're making a series of assumptions that have no grounding in reality. You're assuming three million people have the virus and recover no problem, and that none of them progress to hospital or have comorbidities.  In reality, such a sample does not exist.  It's pure guesswork. 

It is a lot of guesswork. What remains out of it is the official statistic of hospital deaths in England in the under 40 years of age which shows a pretty low percentage of total deaths, even lower with people with no underlying issues.

Just now, SasaS said:

It is a lot of guesswork. What remains out of it is the official statistic of hospital deaths in England in the under 40 years of age which shows a pretty low percentage of total deaths, even lower with people with no underlying issues.

Healthy young people do well, who knew?  Pretty much like every other disease ever.  Thanks for your stunning insight.