You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Still, 900m profit to supply the world is chump change. Based on 6bn people that's 6pound per head.

Try harder.

I’m not trying at anything Clem. Just pointing out I got my numbers wrong.

They initially claimed it would be sold at cost, yet they decided not to to make a profit. 

Those board members and lobbyists are real swell guys. 

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/pfizer-biontech-and-moderna-making-1000-profit-every-second-while-worlds-poorest

New figures from the Peoples Vaccine Alliance reveal that the companies behind two of the most successful COVID-19 vaccines —Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna— are making combined profits of $65,000 every minute. The figures based on the latest company reports are released as CEOs from pharmaceutical industry meet for the annual STAT summit —the equivalent of a ‘Big Pharma Davos’— from 16-18 November.

Maaza Seyoum of the African Alliance and People’s Vaccine Alliance Africa said:  “It is obscene that just a few companies are making millions of dollars in profit every single hour, while just two percent of people in low-income countries have been fully vaccinated against coronavirus. 

“Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna have used their monopolies to prioritise the most profitable contracts with the richest governments, leaving low income countries out in the cold.”

Despite receiving public funding of over $8 billion, the three corporations have refused calls to urgently transfer vaccine technology and know-how with capable producers in low- and middle-income countries via the World Health Organisation (WHO), a move that could increase global supply, drive down prices and save millions of lives. In Moderna’s case, this is despite explicit pressure from the White House  and  requests from the WHO that the company collaborate in and help accelerate its plan to replicate the Moderna vaccine for wider production at its mRNA hub in South Africa.  

While Albert Bourla, the CEO of Pfizer, described the call to share vaccine recipes ‘dangerous nonsense,’ the WHO emergency use approval of the Indian vaccine Covaxin earlier this month is clear evidence that developing countries have the capacity and expertise. 

Anna Marriott, Oxfam’s Health Policy Manager said: “Contrary to what Pfizer’s CEO says, the real nonsense is claiming the experience and expertise to develop and manufacture life-saving medicines and vaccines does not exist in developing countries. This is just a false excuse that pharmaceutical companies are hiding behind to protect their astronomical profits. 

“It is also a complete failure of government to allow these companies to maintain monopoly control and artificially constrain supply in the midst of a pandemic while so many people in the world are yet to be vaccinated.”

Based on company financial statements, the Alliance estimates that Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna will make pre-tax profits of $34 billion this year between them, which works out as over a thousand dollars a second, $65,000 a minute or $93.5 million a day. The monopolies these companies hold have produced five new billionaires during the pandemic, with a combined net wealth of $35.1 billion.

Just now, Skidfingers McGonical said:

They initially claimed it would be sold at cost, yet they decided not to to make a profit. 

Did they? I thought it was Astra Zeneca who said it would be sold at cost, only initially though. I don't remember Pfizer saying that, and I never expected them not to make a profit.

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

You don't agree that £6 is reasonable for saving a life? 

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

They did.

It was available way before the ones the man on the street got.

Is this conspiracy, or fact?

I look forward to the new tangent.

Ah, so the elite got the good stuff, we all got the diluted effluent that was left over.

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Did they? I thought it was Astra Zeneca who said it would be sold at cost, only initially though. I don't remember Pfizer saying that, and I never expected them not to make a profit.

It says in that article I posted and the picture I (wrongly) posted to Rico. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

My callculation was based on supplying 6bn people. Let's halve that and then the profit becomes £12 per head.

Do you expect the workers of these vaccines to stay on the same wages or do you like to see common folk recieve pay rises? 

6 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

My callculation was based on supplying 6bn people. Let's halve that and then the profit becomes £12 per head.

Do you expect the workers of these vaccines to stay on the same wages or do you like to see common folk recieve pay rises? 

Are you really using this absolute piss poor argument?

Those profits predominantly go to board members, lobbyists, shareholders and investors. They also got government money to produce it. That’s a nice tidy little sum that some people were/are getting. 

The working man like the scientists in there are way down the pecking order for that money. 

16 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

There is no question they are creating huge revenues, profits can only be estimates. They were one of the companies that declined Gubmint funding for R&D.

The article was from May - in late June they sold 500 million doses to the US Gubmint at cost. Those doses are being donated to other countries.

Here is a good breakdown of pricing changes at that time, the links let you see details:

Pfizer/BNT have agreed to supply up to 1.8bn doses to the EU from December up to 2023, on top of 600m doses previously ordered this year. The US government has ordered 700m up to April next year for Americans, as well as 500m for donations to the poorest nations.

Pfizer and BioNTech are aiming to produce 3bn jabs this year and 4bn next year. They are now charging the EU €19.50 per jab, up from €15.50 in the first procurement deal, the Financial Times reported. The UK is also reportedly paying more than previously, about £22 a shot for 35m doses for next year’s autumn booster campaign.

Pfizer’s chief executive, Albert Bourla, recently explained the tiered pricing. “This means wealthier nations would pay about the cost of a takeaway meal for each dose … middle-income countries would pay roughly half that price … and to low-income countries we were offering them doses at cost.”

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Are you really using this absolute piss poor argument?

Those profits predominantly go to board members, lobbyists, shareholders and investors. They also got government money to produce it. That’s a nice tidy little sum that some people were/are getting. 

The working man like the scientists in there are way down the pecking order for that money. 

Pecking orders there are. But its economics in action, that's private companies for you.

Would you provide the vaccine at cost in your production facility and distribute it worldwide whilst export costs rise, corporate tax rises etc...all the while keeping say a workforce of 40k happy?

If you can answer that I would be intrigued to know the solution to non profit manufacturing.

4 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Pecking orders there are. But its economics in action, that's private companies for you.

Would you provide the vaccine at cost in your production facility and distribute it worldwide whilst export costs rise, corporate tax rises etc...all the while keeping say a workforce of 40k happy?

If you can answer that I would be intrigued to know the solution to non profit manufacturing.

It’s just the shifting goal post argument. You knock down one of their bollocks statements down and they come back with something else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rico1304 said:

It’s just the shifting goal post argument. You knock down one of their bollocks statements down and they come back with something else. 

Totally.

This whole thread I've noticed no vaxxer is telling or forcibly arguing people to get vaxxed. And yet anti vaxxers are shovelling shit down everybody's throats about 'do some research' or 'don't trust pharma or boris'. 

It's getting tedious. Live and let live, or live and let anti-vaxxer die.

It must be different in the UK - I haven't paid anything for any of my shots or tests.

So is the idea that the Gubmints of wealthier nations should not be paying a little more to allow for more doses at cost?

Or is there a conspiracy amongst the three providers to hide what cost is?

Or did no one realize how much these companies were making pre Covid?

Again, could be wrong but I would be very surprised if the vaccine, at any current price, is in the top 5 profit margin drugs Pfizer manufactures.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

It must be different in the UK - I haven't paid anything for any of my shots or tests.

So is the idea that the Gubmints of wealthier nations should not be paying a little more to allow for more doses at cost?

Or is there a conspiracy amongst the three providers to hide what cost is?

Or did no one realize how much these companies were making pre Covid.

Again, could be wrong but I would be very surprised if the vaccine, at any current price, is in the top 5 profit margin drugs Pfizer manufactures.

Don't forget the oil companies and Microsoft etc that make huge profits year on year, but hey they do a great job in looking after the human race.