You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (A) Champions League 1/5/19

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Felt bad for Fabinho overall there.  Played really well just to have a tackle deflect unfortunately and then have that free kick happen when he didn't do much wrong.

Got booked for it aswell. 

Just now, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We will give it to them at home, won’t be enough but we will go for them like a fat kid opening a cellotaped bag of sweets. Relentless.

Right on. I can see us winning 3-2 next week. I think we'll need to score 6 to go through.

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I do worry about this you know. 

How many of our "marquee" players will think. "if you can't beat them, join them" 

Let's be brutally honest, Steven Gerrard was close to doing it, and he was one of us. 

Really hard to fathom we're more then likely going to win nothing this season. 

It's a bitter pill to swallow 

You think barca, real or city would want forwards who choke when it matters? 

12 minutes ago, an tha said:

When are we gonna get some forward depth.

Having absolutely zero attacking cover bit us on the arse in the final last year and has done it again this year in semi.

In the final last year when Salah had to go off we bring on fucking Lallana And here we nigh on a year later with Gini Wijnaldum playing up top away to Barcelona, because we still haven't jibbed the absolute shite that masquerades as forward cover - talk about not helping ourselves!

Hard not to argue with this. I know we're angry and don't want to be knee jerk, but it's bang on for me.

However, we had plenty of chances that fell to guys who can all finish. We should've scored at least 2. That tempers the argument a tad

I'm a bit wounded. 

But proud too. We've just gone toe to toe with one of the best teams in the world. With a lad signed from Charlton. A free transfer or two. A former Hull player. Lads from Sunderland and Newcastle. We've been undone by a couple of pieces of world class football and a bit of bad luck. 

We've pressed them all over the park. We had them putting panicked and rushed passes into touch for throw ins. We had Fabinho playing like a number 10 when they had the ball, just waiting to pounce and hound the fuck out of them. Unfortunately, it went wrong. But we went their with big bollocks. Believing that we could match one of the best teams in the world, currently, who've got the best player ever in their team. 

We've had a lot of disappointments of late. But, stick with it. We're a team who are going places. And we'll get their eventually. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Having absolutely zero attacking cover bit us on the arse in the final last year and has done it again this year in semi.

In the final last year when Salah had to go off we bring on fucking Lallana And here we nigh on a year later with Gini Wijnaldum playing up top away to Barcelona, because we still haven't jibbed the absolute shite that masquerades as forward cover - talk about not helping ourselves!

We've got Brewster to come in next Season...

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

To be fair, take Messi or Suarez out their team and they'd look very different.

As sickening and crushing as this is, as shouldawouldacoulda it feels about the team selection, as much as we have dominated parts of this game, and I was sitting at 1-0 actually marvelling at how in control of the game we looked and how calm the players were in possession, the game came down to very fine margins, and we were on the wrong side 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

You're assuming we haven't

Yeah obviously. People are capable of learning from experience and training. Its extremely negative to assume we won't improve.

In the meantime we get to enjoy brilliant football and competing for footie's highest honours. Not bad really.

I could see what Klopp was trying to do with the defensive formation and bringing Gomez in. They were keeping it narrow so we could overload Messi, and ceding the wide (Barcelona) left hoping we could cope. For 70 minutes it worked well, but once we lost the second goal against the run of play our heads dropped, spaces between midfield and defence opened, and Messi did what Messi does.

The free kick was just something special. Nobody was saving that. Just incredible.

The one decision I think didn’t work was Wiji playing where he was.

I’m not as deflated as I thought I’d be. As others have said, if there is one team in one place who could turn this around, it’s us at Anfield. But I think we’ll have to go gung-ho to see if we can make a quick dent in that three nil lead.

And just wanted to say that for me there is no doubt, Messi is the greatest player I’ve ever watched. Just phenomenal.

Anyway, to Newcastle and just get the three points.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DimReaper said:

The timing of our misses was really big too. Mane's chance was how long after the went 1-0 up? Not long. Then with Salah, if it goes 3-1 there, I could see us finishing the game strongly. 

Mane, Milner and Salah. Three clear-cut chances. Can’t complain too much when we let those go.

At least we’re not complaining about bad refereeing decisions - thought he had a good game tonight overall. 

• Upvote 1

How many of yous were shitting it before the City away game in the CL last year?I’m sure a lot of you were.Because we are in the exact same situation City were in now.Lets just go at them from the start, get the early goal and see what happens.Honestly wouldn’t put it past this team.Does nobody remember the Roma game last year either? You know, the one were Barcelona lost the second leg 3-0 to a team we are far superior to?

• Upvote 1

Just now, M_B said:

Yeah obviously. People are capable of learning from experience and training. Its extremely negative to assume we won't improve.

In the meantime we get to enjoy brilliant football and competing for footie's highest honours. Not bad really.

I honestly wish I had your optimism. I really do

I think Leicester will take it to City but will lose 4-2 or something. The hope might be that they get the first goal and something mad like a red card against a city player happens and then they might catch them on the break again. They are fit as fuck with some quality young players like Tielmans, Chillwell and Maddison and good players like Maguire and Vardy. Not an easy team to play against especially if stress sets in.

Brighton will be a different type of game for City. I would hope the stress of an early Liverpool game could be the difference on the day and could impact on even great players like City.

It's in the 15% range but if we beat the Geordies, it's a possibility.

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I just can't get angry about it, shit happens. The only thing that is mildly annoying is the joy it's giving to the mainstream media, but they can get to fuck anyway.

Stig, get the barcodes match thread started (if you haven't already).

AssuredInfantileJaguar-size_restricted.g