You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester City (H) Premier League 7/10/18 Match Thread

an tha

There are three teams in the league with six wins and two draws.  We're one of them.  This is a good thing.  We've only dropped points to the other two teams.  They've dropped points to us as well as sides outside that group.  Don't prolapse just yet.

International break now, time to regroup and focus on the next run.  Get some rhythm back.  The Dutch lads probably in for the hardest time of anyone, with Belgium and Germany.  Most of players will either have a good break or a chance to regain some confidence.

3 minutes ago, Luckyhillkop said:

For the first time I'm happy to have the international break. Hopefully the front 3 will sort themselves up and start blasting teams after the break. 

Sadly the three of them are gonna be run into the ground and flying off to all sorts of frigging places over next week or so - some nice strategic 'injuries' from today would be a good idea.

We are a curious bunch at the moment. Generally solid defensively but too workmanlike in midfield and impotent up front.

The run of 4 games we've had must be taken into account as well. All 3 opponents in that run are teams that usually spend more time going forward than sitting deep and just defending like the majority of sides we will face. Playing them at any time requires a little extra focus and intensity, but playing them back to back over a fortnight is a big ask.

Our regular front 3 have got 10 goals between them this season so far, but they simply haven't clicked as of yet. They've all had the movement and the getting-into-good-positions part down, but the link-up play is off and the ruthless finishing isn't there.

It hasn't helped that the one aspect of our midfield that allows the forwards to thrive has in the main been absent this season. In truth, it was absent from the moment Ox tore his ACL against Roma last season. The other midfield options who can offer us thrust, link-up play and energy from midfield have for various reasons not been available. Lallana is always injured. Keita is still being bedded in so looks unsure of himself at times. Shaqiri can play as the more attacking of a 3-man midfield but he has only sporadically featured. When he has played, he has made a telling contribution so it's a mystery why Klopp is holding him back.

This was a bit of a shit game in all honesty, and we almost lost it. It was definitely a penalty, but Mahrez wasted it by mimicking Chris Waddle to blaze it over the bar. Buono Estente!

Milner picking up a hamstring injury might well see Fabinho in the first-team picture a bit more, and there's talk that Lallana has stepped up his training and could be close to a return. As an option at least, that is a good thing. Ox is back in light training as he bids to make a full recovery.

The international break comes at a good time, allowing us to regroup before we take on what is, on paper at least, a less tricky set of fixtures.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Keita is a huge concern for me, hopefully he’s just adapting and I’m happy to give him time but he looks dreadful so far and he’s absolutely tiny

Keita has great technique and great at driving through midfield but we see none of that so far. I'm sure though he's just taking his time to adapt like Ox did. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sadly the three of them are gonna be run into the ground and flying off to all sorts of frigging places over next week or so - some nice strategic 'injuries' from today would be a good idea.

Salah and Mane (and Keita) all play the same side twice (Swaziland for Mo, Sudan for Sadio, Rwanda for Naby).  They'll get some goals and a mental break from the Premiership.

Bobby might play against Argentina, or he might not.  Unlikely he'll get 90.

Well deserved rest for Milner.  Also expecting to see Matip play in the Huddersfield game.

4 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Never thought I would say I miss the Ox

Gini was our best midfielder today. However, much as it pains me to say, especially after close to £100m investment, our midfield is missing Ox badly. I think we miss him more than City miss De Bruyne.

2 minutes ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Keita has great technique and great at driving through midfield but we see none of that so far. I'm sure though he's just taking his time to adapt like Ox did. 

He's got the ability but he genuinely looks shit scared and lost at the moment. 

So dissapointing, really hope he mans the fuck up soon and grows a pair of balls as he was our one signing I thought would be the difference maker. 

Without him performing well the summer spending is looking a bit shit as things stand.