You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How confident do you feel for next season?

Section_31

Everybody references that side but they won nothing. For me, any of our teams with Suarez were better, especially in 2013/14.

2008/09 was a much better team than 2013/14.  The latter was patchy - some good players, some poor ones and one towering genius.

I'm a big believer in judging a team by it's spine (keeper, CBs, CMs, strikers) and by that measure there's no comparison.

Given where we were 3 years ago though, I'm aware that is a somewhat churlish complaint and as much as I wanted both, if I was given the choice of a new number 10 or a new keeper last week there would have been no competition. 

We've focused on our greatest areas of weakness and I can't wait for the season to start.

Aah, yes.  Remember those end-of-season threads in which it was difficult to make a compelling case to keep any of our squad; trying desperately to convince ourselves that Ibe and Stewart were due to come good, any day now.  Mad to think how recent that was and how our squad looks now.

The week or ten days that we battered Man United and Real in 2008/09 covers over an awful lot of frustration during that season.

We had the title in our hands in 2013/14. Ferguson wasn’t letting it slip in 2008/09. We were far too defensive for too long that winter. ‘Leaders’ all over the pitch and it didn’t really get us anywhere when we were drawing with shite.

Just gonna enjoy the ride. Klopp is building a great side that’s getting better and better. The league will always be a huge long shot with sides proped up by cash they don’t earn and financial juggernaut like United.

We’re at least giving the man a chance to compete with most of the other top six. He’s now got a squad that needs quality not quantity added every summer. Somethings he’s doing anyway, keeping the likes of Lovren longer than you’d want instead of buying cheaper players to fix every gap.

If the owners backed him every summer, like they fucking should and have this year. He can do it.

Top four and another smash at the champions league this year. It’s really ducking important the fan base except something like that and don’t lose their shit.

How do you know they haven’t backed him every summer you fucking imbecile? It’s as clear as fucking daylight to me that we were struggling to attract players that were worth paying big money for and previously we just spent it anyway on the best of the rest and risk signings which had us in the state we were. Klopp comes in and basically overnight we stop doing it. There’s basically only Karius that’s failed as a signing for him.

Two seasons back in the champions league on the run reaching the final last season has clearly brought us a bit of attention and pull again. Unsurprising there’s still retards like you who can’t see it. You’ve spent that long moaning about the owners you can’t see the wood for the fucking trees. They’ve turned the club around. Wake the fuck up you complete knobhead.

• Upvote 3

Genuinely really excited to see what they can do this year.

We have had some good teams since the Rafa era but they have always had a glaring weakness in the squad.

Rafa team that finished 2nd had one of the best spines in world football but lack real quality on the wings. As important as Kuyt was we needed a genuine wide man on the other side. Riera started brightly and was nearly enough but non of Yossi,Babel or Riera were really good enough.

Brendan's team was just shite at the back and could only win by outscoring the opposition.

Could not control and a game and maybe a Gerrard 2 or 3 years younger might have been enough to drag them over the line.

This team still has to do the business on the field but the spine looks genuinely really strong. Maybe missing that attacking midfielder to finish it off. One of if not the best attacking trio in football, especially in terms of how they link and not just names on the team sheet. 

Quality is there outwide,look strong through the middle. If Lovren can carry on his form from since the Spurs away game and VVD back there it looks very strong. Two great attacking fullbacks and starting to see some depth there now aswell. 

Cannot wait for the next few weeks to get out the way

• Upvote 1

Fuck aiming for the top 4, we've qualified the past 2 seasons and that was the springboard to this. This is our time to really go for it, with the quality in the league there's no shame in finishing 2nd or 3rd but our objective this year has to be to go all out to win the league and I can't see why it's an unrealistic aim. We're boss in attack and we're boss at the back, throw Keita and co. in the mix we're a serious side, I just can't see us giving away those cheap goals/points we've been so accustomed to down the years.

It may take time for us to click with the new players, which might ultimately cost us.

However looking at the strength of the 1st team and squad now it's pretty exiting. I don't think with both Manchester clubs and a top six where any of them could challenge we can confidently predict we'll win it however I'd be disappointed if we weren't still in contention come Easter. Even Arsenal are a completely unknown quantity this season.

If we could land another top flight attacking midfielder I'd be even more confident.

We're obviously better than last season but not good enough to win the league as things stand now; however, we're well on the way. I think we need to bring in one defender and one creative midfielder to truly challenge our rivals. But really proud of klopp's acquisitions this season and kudos to the owners for supporting him. I love it that we're finally showing our ambition as a great football club and the league won't be too far away.

I'm just looking forward to the first game and fuck having any expectations of where we'll end up, just happy to go along for the ride. Nobby Keita for our player of the year is about as far as I am prepared to go with predictions.

How do you know they haven’t backed him every summer you fucking imbecile? It’s as clear as fucking daylight to me that we were struggling to attract players that were worth paying big money for and previously we just spent it anyway on the best of the rest and risk signings which had us in the state we were. Klopp comes in and basically overnight we stop doing it. There’s basically only Karius that’s failed as a signing for him.

Two seasons back in the champions league on the run reaching the final last season has clearly brought us a bit of attention and pull again. Unsurprising there’s still retards like you who can’t see it. You’ve spent that long moaning about the owners you can’t see the wood for the fucking trees. They’ve turned the club around. Wake the fuck up you complete knobhead.

0320b7a88016418cce6deafbbb310936.gif

• Upvote 1

I’d love us to win the League Cup as it’s early in the season and would give everyone a real boost to kick on like it did in years past.

Second in the league and if we could manage a good run in the Champions league too would be great.

Target should be 85 points. We might hit 90 if we get a bit of luck but that would be pretty hard to plan for.

If City get 95 points or more they will be well out of reach and they deserve to win it. But if we can put ourselves in position to take advantage should they stumble a bit that would be all we could reasonable ask for I feel.

It's hard to judge the other top 6 sides without seeing who they buy, but I'll take a guess.

Spurs look weak to me, and the signings they're talking about wouldn't give me a lot of confidence if I were one of their fans. Is Zaha really that big an improvement to their depth? I really hope they end up with Gomes, don't think there's a more overrated player in Europe.

Chelsea are in total disarray from the outside. They don't seem to have the money they used to and if they lose Hazard I don't see where the goals come from. The midfield of Kante and Jorginho is an absolute monster so it's possible they will win a lot of 1-0s and be a headache to play against, but without the goals it's all ... meh. I could see a total implosion and 65 points, but I could also see them getting to 80 points and being solidly in the top 4.

Arsenal are another strange one. Unless Emery can really do something special I think they're nailed on for sixth. They look disjointed, some really good players but some absolute dross as well.

United will finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th. If I had to bet I'd put it on 3rd, they will be solid and Lukaku will score 20 league goals and that should be enough to put them above the other teams. 

As for us and City, so much will come down to luck. We could challenge them all the way and end up between 85-90 points, like I've said above. But if van Dijk were to be injured for any length of time (or Firmino or Salah, though maybe the dropoff is less) then we could just as easily be scrapping for 75 points and fourth.

I'm just looking forward to the first game and fuck having any expectations of where we'll end up, just happy to go along for the ride. Nobby Keita for our player of the year is about as far as I am prepared to go with predictions.

He won’t just be our PotY; he’ll be the PFA PotY too.

Most expensive goalkeeper and most expensive defender of all time. We should really be hoping for a bit better than top four this time around.

We’ll win the league.

We can win the League as can one or two other sides which is a big step forward. Whether we will or not is dependent on both our results and probably more importantly the other team's results.

Best squad we've had for a long time and that's great news.

I’m confident as fuck! We’re gonna win the league baby’s! Woo hoo. Sent my manager an email yesterday booking the week off in May when the season ends. Told him it was for the Liverpool home coming finally bringing the premiership to Liverpool. He thought I was messing. I wasn’t. We’re going to win it. Save this post you firm of turd burglers.

We can win the League as can one or two other sides which is a big step forward. Whether we will or not is dependent on both our results and probably more importantly the other team's results.

Best squad we've had for a long time and that's great news.

Yep, we should definitely be in the mix. From the outset, I’d be a bit disappointed with third or fourth place. Might be disappointed with second depending on how things go.

CL qualification has given third and fourth place an acceptability among our fan base, as has the 29 year drought and our status as a Southampton to Barcelona and Real. This summer marks a welcome sea change in terms of both retention and recruitment. Exciting times ahead.