You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Salif and Djimi in, but..

Nunavut Patrick

At last! We finally show some bollocks away from home. Rafa must have gone absolutely mental at them during half-time because, judging from the radio commentary, we were worse than appalling in the first half. It sounded like Xabi single-handedly turned it around second half. He's a class act.

In a way, I'm glad the game went like this. The team needs to start showing its character, and results in these circumstances can quickly breed confidence. Hopefully we can go on a bit of a run now in each of the two main competitions (although I agree that the league must be our priority).

It'd be good to see Rafa really start to make his mark, results wise, in the run up to Christmas, before possibly adding a couple of classy players in the transfer window, and getting Gerrard back, in order to really go for it in the second half of the season. Despite our shakey start to the campaign, third place is very much there for the taking if we can develop that long-absent quality of consistency.

Guest LEE R HARKIN
At last! We finally show some bollocks away from home. Rafa must have gone absolutely mental at them during half-time because, judging from the radio commentary, we were worse than appalling in the first half. It sounded like Xabi single-handedly turned it around second half. He's a class act.

In a way, I'm glad the game went like this. The team needs to start showing its character, and results in these circumstances can quickly breed confidence. Hopefully we can go on a bit of a run now in each of the two main competitions (although I agree that the league must be our priority).

It'd be good to see Rafa really start to make his mark, results wise, in the run up to Christmas, before possibly adding a couple of classy players in the transfer window, and getting Gerrard back, in order to really go for it in the second half of the season. Despite our shakey start to the campaign, third place is very much there for the taking if we can develop that long-absent quality of consistency.

Great to see the lads showing bouncebackability

Having now watched the match and read several reports on it, as well as having listened to the commentary on Radio Merseyside, I saw it quite differently to the pundits. Whilst we certainly didn't set the world on fire in the first half, we were by no means shite. By the same token, we weren't especially amazing in the second half and I'd describe Xabi's performance as effective rather than inspirational, as it's being reported by most media commentators.

In the first half, we looked like a team that is slowly trying to respond to the manager's coaching: Cisse worked much harder up front, Riise and Garcia showed width and effort from the flanks and the defending looked much more confident. The first goal came after (the admittedly poor) Diao gave the ball away without being under pressure, and the second was down to good Fulham football. We seemed to have quite a lot of possession and I wouldn't disagree with Rafa's assertion that we controlled the first half, despite the impact the classy Malbranque was having.

The second half come back owed a lot to fortune, as Baros' first was a massive fluke and I don't think Alonso's free kick would have troubled them at all without Diop's intervention. Xabi certainly curbed Malbranque's influence and ensured our game was more incisive, but Fulham were poor, really.

On Josemi, who I've been far from impressed with so far, he had a better game and had several good attempts to hit Riise coming in at the far post behind the last defender. However, he was not faced by any real pace or trickery, and I think he was naive in some of the tackles he made after his first yellow. The snidey Boa-Morte conned the ref for his second yellow card, but he was living dangerously prior to it. Having said that, the ref showed poor consistency in not booking Malbranque (I think) for a raking challenge down Didi's achilles in the first few minutes, but then (justifiably) booking Josemi for his first offence.

In short, we had a lot of luck against poor opposition, but the players showed signs of addressing the basic problems they've shown so far this season, and hopefully they'll take a lot of confidence from this much needed win.

I saw the whole game live on tv here in spain.

in the first half we were very positive until Diao showed why he should never play for us again and why Rafa is totally out of his mind to pick him and from 2-0 down to half time we went to peices

Alonso was truly magnificient 2nd half and we rode our luck a bit with 2 of the goals

The most pleasing thing about this game is we were much more positive and Garcia was on the ball much more but on the negative side the strikers were pure shiete and you can see why Rafa wants rid of both. They both want to run behind but neither is prepared to come short to start the play. Cisse has more awareness but thats not saying al lot.

Lets stay positive away from home because were a lot better going forward than defending