You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

You could give Rodgers solid gold like Sessegnon and he'd fry his head in 6 months and ruin any confidence or natural footballing instinct the kid had.

Klopp has a clear plan with the players he buys and only buys players that fit the system. Rodgers bought people who he thought were good despite if they fit his style of play or not. Markovic for example is someone who had natural footballing ability but was useless for us, partly because he was ruined by Rodgers, he was played LWB at one point. Now Markovic is a nothing player, he’s less than shit.

Graeme Kelly over on Twitter (the only ITK that actually seems to be in the know) says that Jack Butland will "more than likely sign for LFC."

I presume that's happening due to some relegation clause in his contract that's making him a lot cheaper than he should be. Even so, this will be the first transfer move in a while I think is a mistake.

I suppose if he's just coming in to replace Mignolet on the bench it's fine, but after rumours of Oblak and Alisson it's a bit disappointing.

Butland

I hope not. Thought he looked good pre injury,since that not looked half as good and reports a month back that they want 40ml. Be a joke near that price,nowhere near a big enough upgrade to be worth that

Fully agreed that for anything over 15m it's a terrible idea.

I'm basing this only on how good our transfer people have been of late, but I can't see any way a smart club pays big money for Butland. That's why I'm saying there must be a relegation clause in his contract and we're taking advantage.

Essentially I think we'll be looking for 10-15m for Mignolet and if we can spend the same amount (plus similar wages) on Butland it's essentially a swap deal for us financially. Whether Butland is better than Mignolet is up for debate but there isn't that much in it either way in all likelihood. The more I think about it the more I just think "meh, backup GK, who cares, as long as it doesn't cost us anything."

To my mind back up keepers need to be reliable veterans or talented youngsters trying to step up. Butland is neither of those.

If it’s for a low fee due to relegation, and he comes as a number two, and puts pressure on Karius to produce his best form and keep growing, I could just about understand it. But if Butland is coming as a number one keeper, then for me, Clive, it’s a no thank you. Since that ankle injury he has regressed alarmingly.

• Upvote 1

Is Butland suited to how we play, or is he yet another of those shotstoppers that are kept very busy because they play week in week out for a club below the top 6 in the PL? That's the deciding factor for whether he should be considered as a possible signing.

Replace Lallana with Ceballos and that's a quality upgrade. Don't know how much we can get for Lallana these days, maybe some dumb team (West Ham?) will give us £15m. I'd take it and run.

Don't think Ceballos will end up costing £35m, either. There aren't likely to be too many suitors who can pay his wages and he'll probably have a big say in it as well. I predict somewhere between £25-30m, which is a risk but not a huge one. His passing stats are excellent, there's a decent chance he flops but also a decent chance it all clicks and he turns into the Spanish version of Luka Modric. Certainly the talent is there, might need a few Klopp scowls/hugs to get his attitude to match.

How is Lallana to Ceballos an upgrade? You couldn’t have come to that conclusion from the two senior stars he made this season surely?

How is Lallana to Ceballos an upgrade? You couldn’t have come to that conclusion from the two senior stars he made this season surely?

Because he can actually kick a ball without getting injured.

Lallana needs to be sold regardless. Even if he’s not replaced we’re not losing anything.

Because he can actually kick a ball without getting injured.

Lallana needs to be sold regardless. Even if he’s not replaced we’re not losing anything.

Lallana when fit is a good PL proven midfielder. Ceballos hasn’t really done anything of note so far in his career, he might do of course.. but as likely, his career could go the way of another ex Real Madrid player; Jesé who struggles to get a game for Stoke.

Butland looked great pre injury, unless it was just MOTD highlights because every game I seen him on on MOTD he was making ridiculous saves. He’s been pretty shit since and isn’t very commanding in his area so he’s essentially the same as Karius, they both make mistakes and aren’t very commanding. That’s said, if he’s coming as a backup to replace Mignolet which is possible, as long as we aren’t too much out of pocket it’s not a bad deal because hes a lot better than Mignolet.

I’ve seen Jorginho heavily linked with Man City today and it’s just a formality that he signs for them, weird one that for them because he won’t play instead of De Bruyne or Silva and if he plays instead of Fernandinho they’ll be wide open in midfield. It explains our links with Neves though, we’ve probably been informed that Jorginho favours a move to City and we’ve quickly moved on to Neves who is very similar.

Is Butland suited to how we play, or is he yet another of those shotstoppers that are kept very busy because they play week in week out for a club below the top 6 in the PL? That's the deciding factor for whether he should be considered as a possible signing.

Isn't he at Stoke?

Lallana when fit is a good PL proven midfielder. Ceballos hasn’t really done anything of note so far in his career, he might do of course.. but as likely, his career could go the way of another ex Real Madrid player; Jesé who struggles to get a game for Stoke.

You answered your own question by the third word.