You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

No fucking chance, not on my watch.

If he spent half as much time on trying to be a footballer instead of a Ruud Gullit lookalike he might actually become a decent footballer, but not now. Not even close. 

Harsh.

I didn't realise they've actually bought him though.  £20m in the summer too so you're talking daft money for a young footballer who might or mightn't be anywhere near good enough.

So it’s just Hughes, Pereyra and Doucoure we want from Watford then? There’s nothing wrong with their midfield.

And Richarlison.

Nah though - none of them are really good enough from what I've seen, though Richarlison (and possibly Hughes?) has a lot of potential, Doucoure is pretty good but not quite good enough, and Pereyra would be a better option as a backup for our widemen than anything we have now but, again, we probably need better. 

He looks very good, makes you wonder why more teams haven't been linked with signing him.

There is something well dodgy going on behind the scenes with his agent.

First of all, the Porto sale to Wolves was bizarre. Porto desperately needed a sale before June 30 to balance their books for FFP (much like Roma with Salah). We were interested, so were Chelsea, but Mendes said no and took him to Wolves for much less than he was worth (£15m).

If there's not a sell-on clause that ensures Porto get the rest of their money when he's sold on I'll eat my hat. They must have something there that gives them most of the profit beyond the original fee, or else why would they have sold him?

And then yesterday the news comes out that he's not officially represented by Mendes at all? I just don't like it. To what extent are we getting in bed with Mendes if we buy Neves? And what problems are we going to have with him if/when we want to sell him? I mean, the player is very talented, but the dividing line between Mendes and the club (and maybe Neves himself?) would have to be very clear. It's enough to make you nervous and if there are other options (Jorginho, for example) I don't see why the club would be going down this path other than the fact that we've clearly scouted him and loved him for ages.

There is something well dodgy going on behind the scenes with his agent.

First of all, the Porto sale to Wolves was bizarre. Porto desperately needed a sale before June 30 to balance their books for FFP (much like Roma with Salah). We were interested, so were Chelsea, but Mendes said no and took him to Wolves for much less than he was worth (£15m).

If there's not a sell-on clause that ensures Porto get the rest of their money when he's sold on I'll eat my hat. They must have something there that gives them most of the profit beyond the original fee, or else why would they have sold him?

And then yesterday the news comes out that he's not officially represented by Mendes at all? I just don't like it. To what extent are we getting in bed with Mendes if we buy Neves? And what problems are we going to have with him if/when we want to sell him? I mean, the player is very talented, but the dividing line between Mendes and the club (and maybe Neves himself?) would have to be very clear. It's enough to make you nervous and if there are other options (Jorginho, for example) I don't see why the club would be going down this path other than the fact that we've clearly scouted him and loved him for ages.

Very similar to the Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham deal. The club and fee don’t make sense.

However it worked out ok for us when we bought Masch. Just probably will need to fork some money out to clear out the dodgy shit.

Interested if Neves has any pace or physicality ?

I've only seen some of his goals and thought, fuck me ! That goal he scored against Cardiff the other week was one of the very best I've seen in well over 40 years. Amazing goal.

The lad's definitely got all the skill, but if he's a snail then I can't see it happening for him at Anfield.

Two of our best midfielders ever; Didi and Xabi were ‘snails’ FYI.

Two of our best midfielders ever; Didi and Xabi were ‘snails’ FYI.

Playing in a five man midfield with the likes of Gerrard and Macherano doing the leg work, or in a super defensive Houllier back 10. A different style of play completely.

I wouldn't know this guy if you threw him at me, but I'd like him to be able to move.

Playing in a five man midfield with the likes of Gerrard and Macherano doing the leg work, or in a super defensive Houllier back 10. A different style of play completely.

Either player at their best would be superb in that no 6 role Hendo currently occupies IMO.

Either player at their best would be superb in that no 6 role Hendo currently occupies IMO.

Alonso might, didn't wouldn't. Either way, I think Neves probably has a long way to go to prove he has the attributes those two players did.

You didn't answer the question on Neves though. I watched a video. He doesn't look like a snail. He doesn't look dynamic either.

I don't know of a good source for the Championship to compare Neves but one of the most attractive things about Jorginho besides his forward-passing stats is the amount of ground he covers. Believe he was averaging over 12.5 km/game if memory serves, which is ridiculous, and also exactly what we need.

Alonso might, didn't wouldn't. Either way, I think Neves probably has a long way to go to prove he has the attributes those two players did.

You didn't answer the question on Neves though. I watched a video. He doesn't look like a snail. He doesn't look dynamic either.

Never really watched him play properly mate. Have only ever seen championship football when It’s on at the pub.

• Upvote 1