You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

34 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

VAR is a red herring. It’s easier to gloss over corrupt refereeing if it’s done on the fly, it becomes a bit too obvious when VAR is introduced. 

Folks should watch the Netflix show Untold: Flagrant Foul. Watch that and tell me the refs aren’t bent in the premier league. 

The biggest lie accepted as truth is that our league is devoid of corruption. 

I haven't heard of that show. What's it about? 

I honestly think they can make any goal appear on or offside depending where they draw those lines. Surely we have the technology now to put a chip in the ball or something. The refs are run by a bunch of ex traffic wardens and coppers who are as thick as mince, it’s no surprise the whole thing is a clusterfuck. 

One minute for a review. Maximum. And no lines are needed.

The whole thing was conceived originally as a corrective for blatant mistakes. It's a testimony to the boneheaded incompetence of the blazers that they've turned it into a machine for counting angels on the head of a pin. 

30 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

I honestly think they can make any goal appear on or offside depending where they draw those lines. Surely we have the technology now to put a chip in the ball or something. The refs are run by a bunch of ex traffic wardens and coppers who are as thick as mince, it’s no surprise the whole thing is a clusterfuck. 

That's supposedly being trialed at the world cup. 

https://www.fifa.com/technical/media-releases/semi-automated-offside-technology-to-be-used-at-fifa-world-cup-2022-tm

Its ruined football. Completely taken away the excitement of scoring a goal. 

Just makes me less interested in the sport these days as you are just waiting for some cunt in VAR to ruin the game. 

It should be fucked off completely. I absolutely despise football these days and only watch our games now. 

I used to watch pretty much all the live games of a weekend and enjoy the footy down the pub with the lads on a Sunday. 

Now though i couldn't give a flying fuck about it. Only bothered about our games now.

VAR is a bit like Naby Keita, you keep hoping that it comes good and starts producing what it should but, after lulling you into false belief, fucks you off. Again.

I was in favour of VAR because Ive seen too many shite decisions affect football games and not just Liverpool ones.

You've seen some outrageous decisions over the years. Toni Schumacher's 'assault' on Batiston in the World Cup, Lampard's 'goal,' cough, against Germany, also in the World Cup miles over the line yet neither ref or lino saw it. Maradona's handball goal, that Spurs goal at old trafford that nearly hit the back of the net, it was so far over the line, but pulled out by the united keeper and again, neither the ref or lino saw it as being over the line.

Offsides are always contentious with and without VAR. Fortunately it saved us yesterday. If there hadnt been VAR, we'd now be nursing a 1-0 defeat to that shower today.

But while the technology can or rather would see very clearly if they used HD or even 4K cameras, no one at FIFA \ IFAB gave a thought to offsides now being determined by the millimeter or toe nail.

Even the thicker lines they use this season doesnt remove all the questions. And yesterday, the lino in the Villa city game seemed to have forgotten the instruction that if the offside is a close call, to let VAR decide. Instead, he stuck his flag up when Coutinho was onside and the goal scrubbed off.

Im not sure but did the manc ref Taylor immediately blow if not, I dont see why the goal wasnt allowed. city players stopped? Tough shit if the ref hasnt blow and what the fuck is he doing reffing yet another city game? But hey, it's all academic now.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Im not sure but did the manc ref Taylor immediately blow if not, I dont see why the goal wasnt allowed. city players stopped? Tough shit if the ref hasnt blow and what the fuck is he doing reffing yet another city game? But hey, it's all academic now.

Taylor was the ref for our game. Not sure which of PGMOL's slapdicks were covering Villa-City.

23 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

VAR was definitely on our side yesterday, thought Van Dijk was lucky not to be sent off with that challenge on Onana

Seeing as Pickford got off completely free after almost wrecking Van Dyke's career, I doubt we need to feel any sense of embarrasment over that. We're still owed quite a bit.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Themselves to review themselves. 

They're very much like squirrels. Squirrels alert each other to danger by emitting a high-pitched and very repetitive 'eeek-eeek-eeeeek' noise, but the process of doing so tends to take them into a trance-like state during which they continue with the noise long after the danger has gone. Then, quite suddenly, they come out of it, shut up and get on with fussing over nuts. I doubt you'll find a more accurate comparison.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

VAR was definitely on our side yesterday, thought Van Dijk was lucky not to be sent off with that challenge on Onana

Yes he was. At match speed it was just a foul but when you slow everything down it looks much worse yet that wasnt how it was intended. I wish it would be completely fucked off.

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

VAR is like the Tory government. Consistently getting worse.

Before this weekend I actually thought that it has done a lot better (VAR not the Tories!)

It was absolutely abysmal in its first season, some of the offsides that year were mind boggling. The one where Bamford got called offside because he pointed will go down as the most ridiculous offside of all time!

The fuck ups this weekend have been woeful though. 

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I haven't heard of that show. What's it about? 

There are a few Untold shows on Netflix, all about major sporting events/scandals. Pretty good, especially as some are about sports I don’t know much about so interesting to learn about. Flagrant foul is about refs in basketball subtly but meaningfully influencing games for gambling rings. Interestingly though, they talked a lot about how refs would influence games due to personal grudges and preferences. 

Look at how many manc bastard refs there are in the league. 

• Upvote 1