You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

The authorities really need to get a grip on handball, awarded a goal (essentially) because a lad that is arm in the wrong place is too severe a punishment. Fair enough if it stops a promising attack or decent shot on goal, but to give a penalty is just too much. Goals are the hardest thing to do, they always have been and always should be. I seen penos against Madrid and Villa that were disgraces, they aren't part of the spirit of the game. Maybe award indirect free kicks or move the peno spot back 6 yards.

There were nothing wrong with the offside & handball rules 30 years ago & there was no need to introduce VAR either.

It's the Americanisation of our sport & we've sat around letting it happen. It's a load of bollocks, all of it.

• Upvote 2

I thought the Trippier red should face stood today.

A blatent foul, zero attempt to play the ball, caught De Bruyne on the knee. I know it wasn’t excessive force, it was still a dangerous tackle.

It certainly shouldn’t be classed as clear and obvious. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I thought the Trippier red should face stood today.

A blatent foul, zero attempt to play the ball, caught De Bruyne on the knee. I know it wasn’t excessive force, it was still a dangerous tackle.

It certainly shouldn’t be classed as clear and obvious. 

Why did you think it was dangerous? If that's a sending off, we'd have 2 or 3 per game. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He made no attempt to play the ball and caught him on the knee. It was cynical and reckless. 

It was absolutely cynical, agreed. I don't think it was at all wreckless. He knew exactly what he was doing and it was no more than a trip. It was higher than you would normally see for a trip, but it was a trip. It was no more or less dangerous than just about every foul in the game imo. De bruyne made a massive meal of it. 

Just in general, a VAR symbol ought to appear on screen (and on whatever the stadium has for display) whenever it is looking at an incident, and there should be a countdown to how long is left before a decision.

60 seconds would be ample. If you can't see a handball, an offside, a bad tackle or some other incident in sixty seconds of replays then leave well alone.

I've always said there should be a strict time limit on VAR, because it would concentrate minds (some people who operate it, like some who do the cricket version, get hypnotised using slo-mo) and, besides which, no 'clear and obvious' error requires more than a minute to identify. If they run out of time, that's the decision made for them. And making this visual for spectators would calm stuff down, because at the moment we're often just reliant on a commentator saying 'We've heard VAR has looked at it'.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Just in general, a VAR symbol ought to appear on screen (and on whatever the stadium has for display) whenever it is looking at an incident, and there should be a countdown to how long is left before a decision.

60 seconds would be ample. If you can't see a handball, an offside, a bad tackle or some other incident in sixty seconds of replays then leave well alone.

I've always said there should be a strict time limit on VAR, because it would concentrate minds (some people who operate it, like some who do the cricket version, get hypnotised using slo-mo) and, besides which, no 'clear and obvious' error requires more than a minute to identify. If they run out of time, that's the decision made for them. And making this visual for spectators would calm stuff down, because at the moment we're often just reliant on a commentator saying 'We've heard VAR has looked at it'.

And mic everyone up, to keep it all transparent. 

23 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

I run the line for both of my lads' teams and I really enjoy it. I like to think that I get the vast majority of calls correct and if there is any doubt, I give advantage to the attacker (to the detriment of my teams). Agree with the spectators though. I just shut out the noise.

They let club officials run the offside calls in your area? A recipe for disaster there.

23 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The biggest issue I have with offside is it's quite an arbitrary law. We're all used to it because it's existed most of our lifetimes. But it wasn't part of the original game and was introduced to stop goal hanging and was tweaked along the way to achieve that aim. And for me, that is the spirit of how the law should be used - it has never been possible for a linesman to see the ball both kicked and the line. It was a best efforts job. 

The modern interpretation seems to have completely forgotten the spirit of the law and in fact seems to have been reworked that the spirit of the law is to try and disallow goals, no matter what the cost to the game. This insistence that it's "factual", when it clearly isn't because it requires human intervention on when the ball is kicked (with not a good enough frame rate to find that moment anyway) and the drawing of the lines can never be 100% accurate due to the camera angles, so this is at the will of software developers with a margin of error that isn't given in favour of the forwards. Last season seemed to be better, but this season there seems to be a returning of strange narrow decisions and worse, is it doesn't even seem consistent. 

And then I see FIFA are trying to introduce a semi automated version for the world cup. Fuck knows what type of disaster that will be.

Any 'spirit of the law' would have backheeled VAR in the bollocks before it's introduction.

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

I'm having a hard time believing the lines drawn for Arsenal's 2nd goal are accurate. I would have expected the lines to run somewhat parallel to the 18 yard line. Unless the groundsman at Bournemouth has drawn up the wonkiest penalty box in the league.

20220822_013837.jpg

The 6 yard line isn't parallel either with 18 yard line. It's one of those tricks of the eye we will have to accept. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

It is a fucking joke. Every single week except a handful when accidentally they make some right calls.

That disallowed goal for West Ham.....shows there is just no accountability for the cunts who make these calls.

And what the fuck is going on with that coutinho goal. All the times these fucking linos leave their flags down, then they flag that offside? That was a shocking decision. 

• Upvote 1

VAR is a red herring. It’s easier to gloss over corrupt refereeing if it’s done on the fly, it becomes a bit too obvious when VAR is introduced. 

Folks should watch the Netflix show Untold: Flagrant Foul. Watch that and tell me the refs aren’t bent in the premier league. 

The biggest lie accepted as truth is that our league is devoid of corruption. 

• Upvote 3