You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rio Ferdinand to become professional boxer

pauliescouse

I'll be honest, I don't dislike the fella. Not since seeing that documentary he did about coping after his wife passed away. All he ever really did wrong was play for the mancs and release that god awful prank programme on youtube. Absolute rolls royce of a CB in his day and comes across as a down to earth decent fella away from the pitch. Fair play to him just hope he doesn't do any damage to himself what with him being a sole parent and stuff. 

I wont be watching though. Flintoffs fight was embarrassing. He just slapped the fella for 4 rounds. 

• Upvote 1

Ferdinand is OK and has had a lot to deal with with his wife's death. That said why he has to fuck about being some old show pony in a boxing ring escapes me, The fella must be absolutely caked and if he needs something to occupy himself why doesn't he throw himself into into charity work and help people .Don't behave like some attention seeking tool that can't deal with the fact he's is no longer in the public eye every day. You've had a damn sight more than your fifteen minutes of fame so now please fuck off.

• Upvote 1

More significantly it shows just what boxing has become. It used to be a genuine path for young people to follow for a career in sport, Anthony Joshua is an example of that. But it just seems to be becoming a celebrity playground to make lots of money for a nights fighting.

The biggest fight of the year was a retired boxer against a non-boxer.

That's all anyone needs to know.