You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

This being reported on Sky Sports...

Chelsea are now the firm favourites to land Virgil van Dijk after Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp reportedly ended his interest in the defender.

The Southampton star has been one of Liverpool’s top targets all summer, although the Reds were reported for tapping up the player and at one point officially ended their chase in the 26-year-old.

However, that interest was soon renewed, by which time Antonio Conte’s men had also entered the race for the Holland international.

Saints are believed to favour selling the centre-back to Chelsea, after their unhappiness at Liverpool’s initial approach for the player, but that could all be academic as Klopp is seemingly ready to go into the new season with the defenders that he already has at his disposal.

The quartet of Dejan Lovren, Joel Matip, Ragnar Klavan and Joe Gomez will now be tasked with forming a strong central defensive unit for the Reds, who still have funds available should Klopp change his mind and look to strengthen in that area.

Klopp said: “We have four ­centre-backs. I don’t think we need more.

“Just at the moment I’m fine. The transfer market is open until the 31st of August.

“We cannot force things and we would never get a ­centre-back just because someone is available.

“Look out there and tell me five that would make us stronger. Then you win a prize! It’s difficult.

“I’m happy. You can imagine we still work on different things and we will see if it works.

“I am here to work with this squad and not just always thinking, ‘But if we don’t get this or this’.”

Chelsea, meanwhile, are now expected to bid £50million for the Saints star.

So there isn’t five cb’s in the worldbetter than Klavan? Right so.

• Upvote 3

I can imagine all sorts has been going on behind the scenes. It's hard to picture what must be going on in Van Dijk's head right now. It depends on how much contact has been going on between us and Van Dijk. He wouldn't have been pulling the shenigans he has if he didn't think we would be back in for him.

The statement by Klopp could mean a number of things. He's had his head turned by Chelsea. I don't think there are many players that would choose us over them so it would be a difficult one to take if that's the case. It could also be that Klopp is just reiterating the clubs stance since the apology and nothing has changed. If this is the case I personally think the club is just waiting for Southampton to move or for another club to come in so they can follow.

If this doesn't happen I can see us waiting it out until January for him. It's not ideal but if that ended up being the situation I don't think it's the disaster people are making out. This is as long as Sakho is reintegrated as a squad player. Lovren has been decent since his first season. He has his brain farts but we were there or thereabouts with him until the attack started flailing last season when Mane went and Coutinho got injured. We aren't reliant on the defence or being defensive and our attack has got better.

If we make no further signings which I think is what a lot of people are now expecting I think we will have a strong start regardless and it will depend heavily on January how the season turns out.

Chelsea are now the firm favourites to land Virgil van Dijk after Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp reportedly ended his interest in the defender.

The Southampton star has been one of Liverpool’s top targets all summer, although the Reds were reported for tapping up the player and at one point officially ended their chase in the 26-year-old.

However, that interest was soon renewed, by which time Antonio Conte’s men had also entered the race for the Holland international.

Saints are believed to favour selling the centre-back to Chelsea, after their unhappiness at Liverpool’s initial approach for the player, but that could all be academic as Klopp is seemingly ready to go into the new season with the defenders that he already has at his disposal.

The quartet of Dejan Lovren, Joel Matip, Ragnar Klavan and Joe Gomez will now be tasked with forming a strong central defensive unit for the Reds, who still have funds available should Klopp change his mind and look to strengthen in that area.

“Just at the moment I’m fine. The transfer market is open until the 31st of August.

“We cannot force things and we would never get a ­centre-back just because someone is available.

“Look out there and tell me five that would make us stronger. Then you win a prize! It’s difficult.

“I’m happy. You can imagine we still work on different things and we will see if it works.

“I am here to work with this squad and not just always thinking, ‘But if we don’t get this or this’.”

Surely even the most cynical on here can recognise this for the complete bollocks that it is.

• Upvote 1

Lovren, Klavan and Gomez....strong defensive unit. *heads to dark room for a lie down*

• Upvote 2

He is far more reliable and useful to the squad than what we have replaced him with.

I have a soft spot for Lucas and he came in last season and covered well in midfield and at centre back. But he's not the answer. Coutinho is a massive addition to the midfield with the signing of Salah. Need to keep him, obviously. And Gruijic, who barely featured last season, will also get more midfield minutes this time around, I would imagine.

We won't miss what Lucas offered in midfield, but as things stand it's a very cagey game in central defence, and we look well short. It's a reasonable argument to say we need two central defenders, but we absolutely have to sign one. And a very good one at that!

8 for us...5 league 3 cup

He also boasts 21 games in the 2nd tier for Charlton and 3 cup games for them

He has 2 european appearances for us in the europa as well.

I think Charlton were third tier when he played for them.

We aren't gonna go with what we have at centre half are we.....Klopp isn't daft.

I used to think this but frankly his approach to every window since he has been here has been littered with daft and puzzling decisions. Here are some key highlights:

- Not buying a striker last summer and deciding to stick with Sturridge, and then never playing or incorporating him at all from Aug-Dec, when he was fit and there were plenty of opportunities to do so. If he wasn't the striker he trusts for his system then why didn't he sell him for 30m and buy one that he did? He had worked with him for a year, what more did he need to see? What was the point of having Sturridge on the bench when you wouldn't even bring him on when we're 3-0 up at home?

- Not buying a Salah-type winger last summer when it was fucking written in stone that Mane was going to be gone throughout January.

- Doubling down on that retarded decision by spending January trying to chase a youngster (Pulisic) who was never available and then not looking for an alternative and deciding to do fuck all when our bid got rejected. Losing Mane for another month at the tail end of the season compounded how poor of a decision this was.

- Exiling Sakho as if he was some sort of criminal, and then being left trying to flog him to anybody you can after showing your hand. Cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind, when he is patently a better defender than Klavan and arguably better than Lovren. Why not manage his transition better? Keep him in the squad and leave him on the bench in case we need him? I don't know the principles behind his decision, but it's was needlessly dramatic and not very strategic. Did he shag Klopps Ma?

- Not replacing Moreno last summer or in January, leaving us relying on Milner at left back. He did great for the first half of the season but waned notably. Why is he coming out and selling him as a great option in midfield now - wasn't that true for the last year? If we couldn't find a *great* left back, why didn't we buy a Robertson-esque deputy last year? It's not like either of those things weren't achievable last summer.

- The chasing of Dahoud, Dembele, etc and upon failure (which is very probably not his fault), not identifying alternatives or going back in for them. This is exactly what is playing out now and frankly is a massive strike against him in my eyes. I hopefully don't need to explain why.

I've never been convinced by Klopp in the market since he has been at Liverpool.

I find that hard to reconcile because I genuinely believe he is an amazing coach. But I don't know whether that always translates into being an amazing manager.

• Downvote 2

Except he's not firm favourite to move to Chelsea according to SkyBet so fuck knows what that's all about, he's 5/2 to go to Chelsea and now 5/6 to go to us, it smells like Sky Sports are getting people to believe he's going to Chelsea and betting on them on SkyBet.

Except he's not firm favourite to move to Chelsea according to SkyBet so fuck knows what that's all about, he's 5/2 to go to Chelsea and now 5/6 to go to us, it smells like Sky Sports are getting people to believe he's going to Chelsea and betting on them on SkyBet.

Do you mean he's firm favourite to move to Liverpool according to SkyBet?