You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

How many players do you reckon we need this summer if we get top four and into the CL?

We were fucked over Xmas with the run of games with the cups as well. If we out CL in the mix it's going to be even worse.

I reckon it's not as many as you'd think.

For one, none of the players we're going to sell have gotten significant minutes.  Sakho, Sturridge, Markovic, Lucas, Moreno, Stewart - the only one there who's really played much this season is Lucas and he's easily upgradable.

Plus you'll have Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn getting a lot more minutes next season than they did this year.  Maybe a couple more who emerge as 3rd-choice players in a couple of positions as well (Wilson? Ejaria? Not sure who these might be, it won't be a huge factor but worth mentioning).

We all know we're going to be getting a new centre back and a new central midfielder and at least two attacking players.  That's 4 incoming at a minimum.  I reckon you might also see a left back (maybe the kid Sessegnon?) and another versatile attacker who's a bit younger to develop a bit as well, that'd be 6 and I'd be very surprised if it's more than that.  So probably 4 for the immediate first team and maybe another 2 younger ones who might get 1st team minutes here and there but are mostly bought to develop for the future.

I think we need 2-3 first eleven players. One CB, one CM (defensive or not) and a LB/new ATT Mid - that one is a Klopp decision I think. Who he needs more and as we see he likes Milner at LB..

Others are player for player.. Sturridge-new striker, Moreno-back up LB, Lucas-back up CM, Sakho-back up CB, if we sell Mings-new GK. A big if that one. Ings?

That leaves us with:

Mings/Karius

Clyne-TAA

Milner/new LB-Sessegnon or SB instead of Moreno

Matip-new CB-Lovren-Sakho replacement or Klavan or Gomez

New CM, Henderson/Can/Lallana/Wijnaldum/Grujic/new Lucas replacement

New att mid, Mane/Coutinho/Ejaria/Lallana

Firmino/Origi/Stu-replacement/Ings or a replacement

• Upvote 1

5 players needed for me.

CB to go into the team alongside Matip.

CM to boss it and make us stronger defensively.

Left winger to scare them on that side, like Mane does on the other.

Striker to upgrade on Sturridge.

Left back, though I'm fine if this is a back up to Milner for the time being.

There are plenty of good options out there, and I see four of the above players able to go straight into the first eleven. If they don't all go in right away, when they do come into the side, the quality of the team we saw earlier this season doesn't drop.

We need 16-17 good players so the quality doesn't drop off when changes are made. Right now we have 11-12 and it's not enough.

• Upvote 1

I can understand the Sessegnon as understudy for Milner thing. It's rare that a player that age looks that good in the Championship. Then you add in the fact he's a Liverpool fan and Spurs want him, it conjures up the scenario of Delle Alli; which is easily our worst mistake under FSG. 

Plus i like Milner in the team. He's a tireless worker and he's the epitome of a team player. He's also by far our best penalty taker. It's smart succession planning. 

• Upvote 2

If Ejaria and Woodburn are getting more than minimal minutes next year we are fuckrd. Both need loaned out for game time. Woodburn looked miles out of his depth against stoke.

Completely disagree about Woodburn going out on loan. He's 17. He needs to stay with us and be allowed to develop in the 23s, with the occasional appearance in the first team squad.

Ejaria would likely benefit from a loan deal, but it would obviously have to be to the right club.

If Ejaria and Woodburn are getting more than minimal minutes next year we are fuckrd. Both need loaned out for game time. Woodburn looked miles out of his depth against stoke.

Don't think it's fair to say Woodburn was out of his depth at Stoke, he was given a thankless task. Had a few decent moments, should of had a pen and that charge up the pitch where he won two 50-50s, the team were abominable in that first half, no structure or plan to our play, just punt it forward to Origi. That was never a game for Woodburn, Bournemouth at home at 2-1 for Coutinho would of been a much better option. He shows flashes of quality but Klopp got it badly wrong that day. 

Don't think it's fair to say Woodburn was out of his depth at Stoke, he was given a thankless task. Had a few decent moments, should of had a pen and that charge up the pitch where he won two 50-50s, the team were abominable in that first half, no structure or plan to our play, just punt it forward to Origi. That was never a game for Woodburn, Bournemouth at home at 2-1 for Coutinho would of been a much better option. He shows flashes of quality but Klopp got it badly wrong that day.

Dont agree at all

Even against most the lower league sides in the cup he showed he was not ready for 1st team football. If they are making the bench regularly again it shows we dont have a strong enough squad

• Upvote 1

i wonder if we'll go 3 at the back a lot more next season if he does bring in a top quality centre half. Personally, I'd love to see it as I think it's a boss formation and we've got a player like Matip whose comfortable on the ball and could push up into the midfield knowing he's got cover with Lovren (I know) and van dijk or similar behind him. Therefore, we could bring sessegnon in as he won't be as exposed as badly in a 433 with some of our terrible defending over the past few years and can be a decent back up to give Milner a rest.

It's centre mid and striker that could cause Klopp a nice but still a bit of a headache here. Emre's turning on the quality I always thought he had and if he keeps it going I honestly think he'll be some player for us. If we get him to sign the contract but then get Keita who I'd love to see here, what do we do with him, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lalanna, Grujic et al as these are internationals and none of them are going to want to sit on the bench at this stage of their careers.

Same with the striker position. There's a lot of noise from Madrid saying their top targets are Cortois / De Gea and Hazard and they're not gonna come cheap and cronaldo's getting moved to the no9 so hopefully they've cooled on Aubemayang and we can nip in there. But then what do we do with Firmino as I don't think he's as effective for us unless he's playing in the no 9 role and I reckon Origi will defo get better and then there's Ings.

Left wing desperately needs addressing and hopefully we get experienced quality here.

Tell you what though, if Klopp can keep them all happy and get them all on board we'll have a first xi of top quality with similar on the bench where he can switch formations / players without any drop in quality. We get it right this summer we'll piss the league and get no 6 in next season. Let's fucking do it you mighty red boys

If we don't sell anyone we actually need then about 6.

I agree with this. We defo need around 6 players imo. Don't want to be even naming Woodburn and other younger lads. What's happened to Grujic. Was hoping to see more of him than we have - he was tearing it up pre-season!

i wonder if we'll go 3 at the back a lot more next season if he does bring in a top quality centre half. Personally, I'd love to see it as I think it's a boss formation and we've got a player like Matip whose comfortable on the ball and could push up into the midfield knowing he's got cover with Lovren (I know) and van dijk or similar behind him. Therefore, we could bring sessegnon in as he won't be as exposed as badly in a 433 with some of our terrible defending over the past few years and can be a decent back up to give Milner a rest.

It's centre mid and striker that could cause Klopp a nice but still a bit of a headache here. Emre's turning on the quality I always thought he had and if he keeps it going I honestly think he'll be some player for us. If we get him to sign the contract but then get Keita who I'd love to see here, what do we do with him, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lalanna, Grujic et al as these are internationals and none of them are going to want to sit on the bench at this stage of their careers.

Same with the striker position. There's a lot of noise from Madrid saying their top targets are Cortois / De Gea and Hazard and they're not gonna come cheap and cronaldo's getting moved to the no9 so hopefully they've cooled on Aubemayang and we can nip in there. But then what do we do with Firmino as I don't think he's as effective for us unless he's playing in the no 9 role and I reckon Origi will defo get better and then there's Ings.

Left wing desperately needs addressing and hopefully we get experienced quality here.

Tell you what though, if Klopp can keep them all happy and get them all on board we'll have a first xi of top quality with similar on the bench where he can switch formations / players without any drop in quality. We get it right this summer we'll piss the league and get no 6 in next season. Let's fucking do it you mighty red boys

Spot on,a top class CB is a must to play that system also cart Sturidge,Moreno and Klavan out and look at the keeper situation at the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

Koulibaly is being linked by the reliable journos as the alternative to van Dijk which is good news for everyone that wants us to spend lots of money on a CB because he'll go for a similar fee.

If the reports are correct, and we finish in the top 4, I think we might actually break our transfer record on a CB this summer. 

Koulibaly is being linked by the reliable journos as the alternative to van Dijk which is good news for everyone that wants us to spend lots of money on a CB because he'll go for a similar fee.

If the reports are correct, and we finish in the top 4, I think we might actually break our transfer record on a CB this summer.

If we get top 4 all the prices of anyone where remotly interested in will go up so your right it will end up being a record fee mate.

Spot on,a top class CB is a must to play that system also cart Sturidge,Moreno and Klavan out and look at the keeper situation at the end of the season.

Defo. Hopefully the pennies dropped with Mignolet with what's required to become a top class keeper and the way Klopp looks after his players, he may well get there with us. I'd like him to be confirmed as no1 but have a more settled Karius breathing down his neck to keep the pressure on. Not worth creating more unrest in our back line of all places if we bring in another keeper, and as you say, if they both mess up again through the season, then ship both out next summer and go and bring in a top quality keeper. That maybe the only position we need to address in 12 months and if we don't need a replacement we won't be needing to spend anything in 12 months as we'll have a boss squad anyway and will only need to replace the outgoings.

Defo. Hopefully the pennies dropped with Mignolet with what's required to become a top class keeper and the way Klopp looks after his players, he may well get there with us. I'd like him to be confirmed as no1 but have a more settled Karius breathing down his neck to keep the pressure on. Not worth creating more unrest in our back line of all places if we bring in another keeper, and as you say, if they both mess up again through the season, then ship both out next summer and go and bring in a top quality keeper. That maybe the only position we need to address in 12 months and if we don't need a replacement we won't be needing to spend anything in 12 months as we'll have a boss squad anyway and will only need to replace the outgoings.

I want to see some quality signings like yourself but not Chamberlain I just don't see it with him,Klopp can really make a statement this coming window and we'll have a lot more football to play next season so its vital he gets players to come straight in the first team and others already in the squad to improve the bench,good back up is much needed.

I want to see some quality signings like yourself but not Chamberlain I just don't see it with him,Klopp can really make a statement this coming window and we'll have a lot more football to play next season so its vital he gets players to come straight in the first team and others already in the squad to improve the bench,good back up is much needed.

Chamberlain will be a terrible signing for us and I just don't see where he can fit in as 1) he wouldn't get in our team now and 2) there will be far better players available than him this summer.

Sessegnon would be the only back up I'd bring in this summer and if we're not in for him then hopefully we'll get a top class left back to go straight in the first team.

We need to be bringing in players better than what we've already got this summer to inspire and take our current lot up a notch together.

Chamberlain will be a terrible signing for us and I just don't see where he can fit in as 1) he wouldn't get in our team now and 2) there will be far better players available than him this summer.

Sessegnon would be the only back up I'd bring in this summer and if we're not in for him then hopefully we'll get a top class left back to go straight in the first team.

We need to be bringing in players better than what we've already got this summer to inspire and take our current lot up a notch together.

Exactly mate hope Klopp gets the backing he deserves but that's another story.

Steven-Caulker-634092.jpg

Nice one mate, lets compare a player Klopp bought in on loan and made 1 full appearance and 3 sub appearances to Chamberlain, a player Klopp is supposedly willing to spend 20m on. The point I was making is if Klopp is willing to spend such a sum, he's obviously seen something in him and we should trust his judgement. Remember when people were questioning the Mane transfer. Give Klopp money and I think he will spend it wisely.