You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noticable cost of living increases

Elite

Walked from the Tesco in West Derby Village to the Mexican restaurant around the corner & the price of Corona had gone up from 12 bottles for £10, to £4 per bottle.

480% rise in 100 yards & 2 minutes.

£4 for a bottle is just downright disgraceful, especially when supermarkets can sell them for less than a pound, the pubs must be getting them just as cheap so there is no reason for such massive mark ups being needed.

I struggle to remember the point at which drinks in pubs got so fucking expensive, mainly as I don't really drink much nowadays and a Saturday night out on the lash surrounded by youngsters doesn't hold any appeal anymore but I met up with a mate of mine earlier this week for a quick lunch hour drink, the drinks being a pint of lime and soda and a pint of Coke, I was stood there with a fiver ready to hand over to be told it had come to £5.50!!

£4 for a bottle is just downright disgraceful, especially when supermarkets can sell them for less than a pound, the pubs must be getting them just as cheap so there is no reason for such massive mark ups being needed.

I struggle to remember the point at which drinks in pubs got so fucking expensive, mainly as I don't really drink much nowadays and a Saturday night out on the lash surrounded by youngsters doesn't hold any appeal anymore but I met up with a mate of mine earlier this week for a quick lunch hour drink, the drinks being a pint of lime and soda and a pint of Coke, I was stood there with a fiver ready to hand over to be told it had come to £5.50!!

You forgot the nonce tax.

Supermarkets often sell alcohol at a loss. They also don't have the same overheads that pubs and restaurants do. It might seem expensive, and hard to believe, but pub and restaurant margins on alcohol are not enormous.

Supermarkets often sell alcohol at a loss. They also don't have the same overheads that pubs and restaurants do. It might seem expensive, and hard to believe, but pub and restaurant margins on alcohol are not enormous.

Which is why they're all turning into eateries as the margins are higher.

I picked up 12 bottles of Tiger beer for £6 in Morrisons last week. They hope you do your weekly shop there so they can make some money out of the beer losses they make. Unfortunately for them I ended up just buying two more cases of the Tiger beer.

• Upvote 3

• 5 years later...
On 21/07/2016 at 14:09, Paulie Dangerously said:

Diesel was about to go under a £1 a few months ago but it's gone up about 10% since then.  They just do it 1/2 a pence at the time so you don't notice.  Like the frog in the pan of water

One pound! The glory days. 

I went into Tesco this morning. Carrier bags are now 30p each. It’s fucking outrageous behaviour. I had 50p knocked off something on my Clubcard but paid 60p for two bags. I’m down 10p. 

The Lib Dems have a lot to answer for, etc. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

One pound! The glory days. 

I went into Tesco this morning. Carrier bags are now 30p each. It’s fucking outrageous behaviour. I had 50p knocked off something on my Clubcard but paid 60p for two bags. I’m down 10p. 

The Lib Dems have a lot to answer for, etc. 

Just nick them, they don't challenge you. 

"Sir, you haven't paid for those bags." 

"I brought my own"

"They look brand new."

"I know, I treat them like my own kids."

Greggs don't even do Meat and Potato pasties anymore the twats.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Yeah but you can get a vegan sausage, cheeze and beans pastie instead...

How difficult is it to make a vegan glaze for pastry that doesn't make everything look so insipid and why aren't Greggs using it?

I'd be far more inclined to try some of their vegan offerings if they didn't look three days old.

I think instead of giving kids asda pizza for free PR they should ditch some of their automated tills, rehire human staff and pay them a proper wage. Oh and maybe their owners can return the HQ from Guernsey.

I hate this disingenuous shit. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think instead of giving kids asda pizza for free PR they should ditch some of their automated tills, rehire human staff and pay them a proper wage. Oh and maybe their owners can return the HQ from Guernsey.

I was in Tesco a few days ago waiting at the till, I probably only had about dozen items. One of the workers comes up to me and says "Can you go and use one of the automated tills please?". I said "I'd rather not thanks". She asked again, almost pleadingly. I told her I'd rather not contribute to people losing their jobs, and the things never fucking work anyway and require a human to come and sort out a speck of dust being in the baggage area or whatever. She quietened her voice and said, "We have to ask".

It was utterly tragic. They have to actively promote their own job demise.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

They could do both.

I believe Sainsbury's voted against paying the living wage recently too. Utter, utter cunts.