You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

I have grave misgivings about this squad as it stands never mind if we offload some more players today.

We're 3 or 4 injuries away from barely even having a defender available at all.

I totally get the idea of buying the right player but on the other hand you just bumble along until they come along with a glaring problem in the side?

Surely the sensible option is you buy someone else who then becomes your second choice if or when the right player comes along improving us a little in the short term and then giving us a better squad later. 

I don't see how you can identify a problem then just say oh we'll just leave that as is because we can't get the specific player or players we want.

I have grave misgivings about this squad as it stands never mind if we offload some more players today.

We're 3 or 4 injuries away from barely even having a defender available at all.

I totally get the idea of buying the right player but on the other hand you just bumble along until they come along with a glaring problem in the side?

Surely the sensible option is you buy someone else who then becomes your second choice if or when the right player comes along improving us a little in the short term and then giving us a better squad later.

I don't see how you can identify a problem then just say oh we'll just leave that as is because we can't get the specific player or players we want.

The trouble with waiting for the right player, that's a fine thing to do as long as you're willing to pay a little over the odds or a little more in wages to get him when he comes along. We look for the right player in the bargain basket.
  • Upvote 1

Then you buy players as second choice and suddenly everyone's moaning that the squad is full of shite.  Like Rodgers did.  Then someone like has to come along and carry out a cull to get rid of the accumulated dross, like Klopp.

There has to be a mid point between a 25 or 30 million pound left back and someone who is utter shite?

You can strengthen short term and then still improve even more later.

Surely that's better than just having a right midfielder as first choice left back for instance. 

I'm talking you buy a player as first choice who might not happen to be the one you want because the one you want isn't available. Then if the one you want does become available and you have the money for them you sign them later and the old first choice becomes second choice.

You know like the way clubs who want to compete do it?

• Upvote 3

Then you buy players as second choice and suddenly everyone's moaning that the squad is full of shite.  Like Rodgers did.  Then someone like has to come along and carry out a cull to get rid of the accumulated dross, like Klopp.

Yes agreed but we're playing Milner at left back.

Yes agreed but we're playing Milner at left back.

We could have can or Henderson in the back line at some point. The plan is we have enough defenders to cover 1 or 2 injuries at any time any more than that we're looking midfielders to fill in.

Klopp seems happy with this. Heavy metal etc.

Ah it seems like only yesterday, not 2012.

"I am as disappointed as anyone connected with Liverpool Football Club that we were unable to add further to our strikeforce in this summer transfer window," said principal owner Henry in an open letter published on Liverpool's website.

"But that was not through any lack of desire or effort on the part of all of those involved.

"They pushed hard in the final days of the transfer window on a number of forward targets and it is unfortunate that on this occasion we were unable to conclude acceptable deals to bring those targets in.

"But a summer window which brought in three young, but significantly talented starters in Joe Allen, Nuri Sahin and Fabio Borini as well as two exciting young potential stars of the future - Samed Yesil and Oussama Assaidi - could hardly be deemed a failure as we build for the future."

A lot of work, and cash, was expended on renewing the contracts of key players to ensure Rodgers retained solid foundations on which to build.

Henry also felt this was a significant move by the club.

"No-one should minimise the importance of keeping our best players during this window," he added.

"We successfully retained Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Luis Suarez.

"We greatly appreciate their faith and belief in the club and we successfully negotiated new, long-term contracts with Luis and with Martin."

Ever since Fenway Sports Group, of which Henry is the leading figure, bought the Reds in October 2010 they have insisted it is a long-term investment.

And Henry stressed their approach to spending this summer reflects that and will continue to do so in subsequent transfer windows.

"No-one should doubt our commitment to the club. In Brendan Rodgers we have a talented young manager and we have valued highly his judgement about the make-up of the squad," he said.

"This is a work in progress. It will take time for Brendan to instil his philosophy into the squad and build exactly what he needs for the long term.

"The transfer policy was not about cutting costs. It was - and will be in the future - about getting maximum value for what is spent so that we can build quality and depth.

"Spending is not merely about buying talent. Our ambitions do not lie in cementing a mid-table place with expensive, short-term quick fixes that will only contribute for a couple of years.

"Our emphasis will be on developing our own players using the skills of an increasingly impressive coaching team.

"Much thought and investment already have gone into developing a self-sustaining pool of youngsters imbued in the club's traditions.

"That ethos is to win. We will invest to succeed. But we will not mortgage the future with risky spending."

Ah John, you don't even write anymore. 

• Upvote 6

With the amount of youngsters and senior players culled, it seems like Klopp's main priority this window was clearing out. We're hitting the reset button and reassessing the squad from scratch after a proper pre-season, and keeping Milner and Lucas as cover / in redefined positions is part of that.

I'm happy enough to trust Klopp's judgement on how he starts this process, as I'm sure I'm not alone in being totally oblivious to how he did so at Dortmund (beyond the basic facts of incoming and outgoings). It just makes it hard to build up much enthusiasm for the season ahead, as you know it's the dreaded season of transition. Again.

My main worry is a few injuries - which seem an inevitability with the higher intensity - and Mane going to the ACN could fuck us completely.

• Upvote 1