You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Here come the hair-splitting crew, right on cue.

"Zionists have no sense of English irony" is clearly intended to mark this subset of Jews out as something other than English. And that's even giving the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't a dog whistle.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As all the other attempted smears haven't been bought, this latest pathetic attempt won't be given that much attention. They'll have to dig deeper and harder as nobody is willing to indulge in the same level of linguistic gymnastics as the usual crowd to twist every word Corbyn said - "he didn't mean Zionists, he meant all Jews!"

You almost feel sorry for them. They're scraping the barrel now. On the other hand, you have to admire their tenacity. They're keeping on keeping on, despite looking more and more paranoid and pathetic by the day.

As all the other attempted smears haven't been bought, this latest pathetic attempt won't be given that much attention. They'll have to dig deeper and harder as nobody is willing to indulge in the same level of linguistic gymnastics as the usual crowd to twist every word Corbyn said - "he didn't mean Zionists, he meant all Jews!"

You almost feel sorry for them. They're scraping the barrel now. On the other hand, you have to admire their tenacity. They're keeping on keeping on, despite looking more and more paranoid and pathetic by the day.

Agreed. Stronts has been magnificent.

• Upvote 1

I feel that being accurate and not resorting to sleazy misinterpretations is important when talking about racism. You obviously want to go out of your way, drop the principles that you regularly misappropriate, and try to smear Corbyn. That's fine. Please don't expect me to ignore facts and details just so you can achieve your aim.

"Zionists have no sense of English irony" is clearly intended to mark this subset of Jews out as something other than English. And that's even giving the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't a dog whistle.

Have you actually fucking listened to the clip? Fucking hell, that's so utterly manipulative and dishonest. What underhanded, slimy tactics you're resorting to.

At least some people know a dog whistle when they hear one:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlUH6xgW4AEJehu?format=jpg

More sleaze and slime from you. But look, you know what you're doing. If you throw enough shit, enough times, it's going to stick. You will eventually hound him out. Your credibility is the currency you're going to have to spend. I hope you get good value.

I feel that being accurate and not resorting to sleazy misinterpretations is important when talking about racism. You obviously want to go out of your way, drop the principles that you regularly misappropriate, and try to smear Corbyn. That's fine. Please don't expect me to ignore facts and details just so you can achieve your aim.

Have you actually fucking listened to the clip? Fucking hell, that's so utterly manipulative and dishonest. What underhanded, slimy tactics you're resorting to.

More sleaze and slime from you. But look, you know what you're doing. If you throw enough shit, enough times, it's going to stick. You will eventually hound him out. Your credibility is the currency you're going to have to spend. I hope you get good value.

You are utterly unbelievable!

Corbyn's comments here are transparently antisemitic, they don't make sense any other way, for instance if he was referring to non-Jewish Zionists.

Let's use Tony Blair as an example of such: "Blair has lived here his whole life and doesn't understand English irony". That comment would make no sense. It only makes sense when directed at "alien" Zionists, ie Jewish ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Corbyn's comments here are transparently antisemitic

Absolute nonsense, Stronts. It's truly bad form to keep laying this on so thick. If talking about a few specific Zionists, who you or I have no idea if they were Jewish or not, and suggesting they don't understand the English brand of irony - based off of something they objected to that was said in Irony, and had taken it literally - isn't anything to do with their Jewishness.

What you're doing is grossly devaluing what it means to be antisemitic. Hatred of Jews because they're Jews. It's so easy to spot an antisemite, they're a grim bunch that go much, much further than objecting to a few objectionable zionists.

These latest attempts to call practically everything "antisemitic" makes you wonder if some Zionists actually thrive on "antisemitism."

Not actual, proper antisemitism, which is obviously abhorrent and should be stamped out. But, I'm reading that Hajo Meyer's book and he puts forward a theory that "antisemitism" is useful to Zionists. Not only for the silencing criticism of Israel angle. But also to further expansion of Israel. Most Zionists have no real gripe with land grabs. It's noticeable that a lot of Corbyn's critics (who also tend to be affiliated to pro-Israel groups) are using rhetoric like "fear" and "British Jews are right to be scared" (used by Jonathan Sacerdoti in the past 24 hours).

Do they really mean this, or are they trying to create an atmosphere of fear to encourage more Jewish people to leave their country of origin and go to Israel? More emigration, more settlers, more land grabs, a bigger Israel, less land for the Arabs?

I don't know. But, it does look like the fear levels are being raised more by these people rather than what a natural reaction to Corbyn's rather innocuous words should cause.

I’m sorry Stronts, but that’s utter horsehit.

So a week after asking for the Anti-Nazi league to reform to fight far-right extremism, John McDonnell is now saying we probably should not have a second EU referendum in case we upset the far right. Is anyone actually guiding the party leadership before they talk publicly?

Absolute nonsense, Stronts. It's truly bad form to keep laying this on so thick. If talking about a few specific Zionists, who you or I have no idea if they were Jewish or not, and suggesting they don't understand the English brand of irony - based off of something they objected to that was said in Irony, and had taken it literally - isn't anything to do with their Jewishness.

What you're doing is grossly devaluing what it means to be antisemitic. Hatred of Jews because they're Jews. It's so easy to spot an antisemite, they're a grim bunch that go much, much further than objecting to a few objectionable zionists.

Sorry, you are bang wrong here, and I won't be bullied into silence.

I have been giving Corbyn - a man who honours, defends and freely associates with antisemites - the benefit of the doubt up to now. I have stopped short of calling him a racist, because the facts did not fully support such an assessment of him, even if they accurately described the people he hangs around with. But this is the first time I have seen him say something that is unambiguously racist.

If you just wanted to say some people have no appreciation of irony, then okay, it would be a bit weird coming from someone as mirthless as Corbyn, but it wouldn't necessarily be racist. But Corbyn is the one who linked Englishness and a sense of irony. When he says this group of Zionists (who were all Jewish, btw) have no sense of English irony - despite, as he concedes, them having lived in this country for their whole lives - he is painting them as something other than English. Not True English. Foreign. Alien.

Now footage is coming out of him saying that Jews have no connection whatsoever to Israel? It's getting beyond a joke now, and shame on anybody who tolerates this nonsense.

I have been giving Corbyn - a man who honours, defends and freely associates with antisemites - the benefit of the doubt up to now. I have stopped short of calling him a racist, because the facts did not fully support such an assessment of him, even if they accurately described the people he hangs around with. But this is the first time I have seen him say something that is unambiguously racist.

If you just wanted to say some people have no appreciation of irony, then okay, it would be a bit weird coming from someone as mirthless as Corbyn, but it wouldn't necessarily be racist. But Corbyn is the one who linked Englishness and a sense of irony. When he says this group of Zionists (who were all Jewish, btw) have no sense of English irony - despite, as he concedes, them having lived in this country for their whole lives - he is painting them as something other than English. Not True English. Foreign. Alien.

Now footage is coming out of him saying that Jews have no connection whatsoever to Israel? It's getting beyond a joke now, and shame on anybody who tolerates this nonsense.

Have you got any links to this footage?

The whole piece and not just a segment as context is everything.

Alright, so I'm going to reflect and look into this entire ordeal after a quick run. However, could you please give me the names of all the Zionists who were there and some proof that those were the ones who were there please. Not that it matters if they were Jews, but I'd like to know.

Alright, so I'm going to reflect and look into this entire ordeal after a quick run. However, could you please give me the names of all the Zionists who were there and some proof that those were the ones who were there please. Not that it matters if they were Jews, but I'd like to know.

You're creating a list of Jews?