You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

In the current wolf crying environment, I think it's probably quicker and easier to draw up a list of everything that isn't antisemitic.

It appears that calling a Jewish MP a duplicitous, hysterical gobshite because of their behaviour is antisemitic too now. Does a person's Jewishness make them immune from legitimate criticism now, criticism in no way related to their religion/ethnicity. It's coming across like that, with people looking to find the most tenuous and pathetic links to antisemitism in the most innocuous of statements.

This may shock some people, but I am not an expert on everything and do not have full and complete knowledge of the history of Nazi Germany and the rise of Hilter. 

When I hear the phrase The Enemy Within I think of that bitch Thatcher and her attack on good trade unionists 

However a quick google also points out it was used in Britain by a cleric around the year 1794.

It was also used in Britain just before and during the second world war to designate Nazi sympathisers.

https://wordhistories.net/2017/08/04/enemy-within-british/

The Independent; 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/enemy-within-the-network-of-britons-who-spied-for-hitler-during-second-world-war-9158455.html

So it appears lots of different people have used the phrase in lots of different contexts, logically implying that people within an organisation who work against that organisation are The Enemy Within.

I assume this makes me an antisemite

This may shock some people, but I am not an expert on everything and do not have full and complete knowledge of the history of Nazi Germany and the rise of Hilter. 

When I hear the phrase The Enemy Within I think of that bitch Thatcher and her attack on good trade unionists 

However a quick google also points out it was used in Britain by a cleric around the year 1794.

It was also used in Britain just before and during the second world war to designate Nazi sympathisers.

The Independent; 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/enemy-within-the-network-of-britons-who-spied-for-hitler-during-second-world-war-9158455.html

So it appears lots of different people have used the phrase in lots of different contexts, logically implying that people within an organisation who work against that organisation are The Enemy Within.

Yeah, all totally valid and used many times by many people for many things. It's certainly not synonymous with Hitler and Jews, although saying it when a Jew is on your front page is - at best - a poor choice of words. Looking at their 'website' and Facebook page, I think it's likely to be ignorance leading to poor word choice, but who knows.

I assume this makes me an antisemite

'fraid so, mate. Banned.

Anti-Semitism as a term has lost its meaning. It's impossible to take anyone who uses it seriously anymore which is a tragedy.

So diluted from its original meaning these days that if a dog shits on a carpet he's anti-Semitic.

Anti-synthetic (fibres)

Anti-Semitism as a term has lost its meaning. It's impossible to take anyone who uses it seriously anymore which is a tragedy.

So diluted from its original meaning these days that if a dog shits on a carpet he's anti-Semitic.

The irony is that there are so many gobshites making this situation worse, while supposedly banging the drum for the IHRA Working Definition.

You're going to have to help us out with some links, because the search terms required to verify that are just too vague.

I've never heard of "The Word"; I've no idea what Corbyn's connection to it is; I've seen no evidence that they avoid putting Jews on the front cover; and I've seen no evidence of them "recycling Hitler slogans".

(No offence, but "nullius in verba" is a good principle in general, but it's absolutely essential when it comes to your allegations about Corbyn.)

Dk6a9E-XoAIULFd.jpg

Dk6a9s9W4AcAWnV.jpg

Dk6a-PlW0AATNwF.jpg

"The enemy within" is one of the terms Hitler used in reference to the Jews in Germany.

Take it up with Jolyon Maugham QC if you want to discuss it further: https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1030931778004033541

I've just joined the Labour Party

I respect Corbyn very much but I don't think he's a very good leader... he needs to do a whole lot more re Brexit

I also don't believe there's an anti-semitic bone in his body but there is some in the Party

I also believe a lot of this shit has been orchestrated by a wholly antagonistic Establishment but Corbyn should have handled it better

• Upvote 1

I respect Corbyn very much but I don't think he's a very good leader... he needs to do a whole lot more re Brexit

I also don't believe there's an anti-semitic bone in his body but there is some in the Party

I also believe a lot of this shit has been orchestrated by a wholly antagonistic Establishment but Corbyn should have handled it better

Agreed.

Dk6a9E-XoAIULFd.jpg

Dk6a9s9W4AcAWnV.jpg

Dk6a-PlW0AATNwF.jpg

"The enemy within" is one of the terms Hitler used in reference to the Jews in Germany.

Take it up with Jolyon Maugham QC if you want to discuss it further: https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1030931778004033541

Not really a "Hitler term" at all.

You've basically taken the word of some Twitter twat who plays fast and loose with the truth in his relentless shit-slinging at Corbyn.

I'm fairly sure I've seen you claiming to deal only in facts, rationality and healthy scepticism.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aye, he’s pretty fucking far from what you’d consider an ideal political leader; but he’s a good man, one of the few honest politicians we have in this country and our best shot at getting anything close to a government that we can be proud of.

• Upvote 2

Sad thing is that with large swathes of the voting public being a good man seems to mean fuck all compared to a Flashy suite,throwing slurs snd smirking your way through debates and the rest just follow what the Murdoch media tell them

Out of interest, are we to say that anybody who is pictured with a paper endorses everything written in it past and future? I’m just checking for future reference.

More than that.

They endorse every possible negative interpretation, however spurious, of everything written in it, past and future.

Aye, he’s pretty fucking far from what you’d consider an ideal political leader; but he’s a good man, one of the few honest politicians we have in this country and our best shot at getting anything close to a government that we can be proud of.

Hahahahaha

Thread from a Jewish party member. Seems like the party like to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

https://twitter.com/tessmillsy/status/1031173410653659136?s=21

Not really.

Her complaint against Williamson appears to turn on nothing more egregious than he retweets stuff from the Skwakbox - which is implacably opposed to anti-Semitism - even after they retweeted an article from a Jewish author she disagrees with.

She then raves on about worrying that she won't feel safe at conference, because... actually, there is no "because".

Just another shit-slinger. Nothing to see here.

Not really.

Her complaint against Williamson appears to turn on nothing more egregious than he retweets stuff from the Skwakbox - which is implacably opposed to anti-Semitism - even after they retweeted an article from a Jewish author she disagrees with.

She then raves on about worrying that she won't feel safe at conference, because... actually, there is no "because".

Just another shit-slinger. Nothing to see here.

So the copy and paste apology, no investigation etc mean nothing? Fair enough.

Edit. She’s only 20 too, a kid. Just call her a shit slinger. Fuck her off.

So the copy and paste apology, no investigation etc mean nothing? Fair enough.

Edit. She’s only 20 too, a kid. Just call her a shit slinger. Fuck her off.

What investigation is needed? She says she provided "evidence" - they've read it, seen that there's no evidence of anti-Semitism and then had a word with Williamson (presumably) to tell him to try to be a bit more sensitive and to be a bit more careful about inadvertently upsetting people. What more do you want?

I've not had the sensitivity warning, so I've got no qualms about saying that if someone is old enough to sling shit, they're old enough to be called a shit-slinger.

What investigation is needed? She says she provided "evidence" - they've read it, seen that there's no evidence of anti-Semitism and then had a word with Williamson (presumably) to tell him to try to be a bit more sensitive and to be a bit more careful about inadvertently upsetting people. What more do you want?

I've not had the sensitivity warning, so I've got no qualms about saying that if someone is old enough to sling shit, they're old enough to be called a shit-slinger.

As a professional outfit, they should make an attempt to give information to the complaining party about how it was conducted, what the findings were, etc.

As a professional outfit, they should make an attempt to give information to the complaining party about how it was conducted, what the findings were, etc.

There has to be a degree of confidentiality. Williamson (who is in no way guilty of anything remotely anti-Semitic) deserves to have his rights respected.