You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Bowie

Vincent Vega

As for shagging child groupies...where the hell were these kids parents?

But it certainly seemed the thing to do in the day...Polanski was mentioned before, and you know jack nicholson had his knob up some 14 year olds arse at some point.

That Lori's mum worked in a club they all frequented, and she used to let her daughter hang around there while she was working.

When Lennon was shot in New York I was 13 yrs old, and was watching Monday Night football and Howard Cosell, the eminent play by play man, announced it live.

There was loads of flowers outside the brownstone and it was in the papers for days (this is before all this twitter/FB/instagram bollocks).

With Lennon, he changed the world. He was part of a group of lads from Liverpool who changed the world. In later years he tried to change the world. Imagine is still a powerful song.

Bowie may mean the same to many people.

Diana, although her humanatarian efforts were laudable, was still born into class, married into royalty, and in the end her only redeeming factor for me was she pissed off the Royal Family and ran around with a Muslim which no doubt shcoked the fuck out of the upper class wankers.

As well, our match against Newcastle was postponed and I was pissed as it was live on tv in Canada.

That's my overriding memory of that time as well.

The Newcastle match getting cancelled. Fucking gutted.

• Upvote 1

As for shagging child groupies...where the hell were these kids parents?

But it certainly seemed the thing to do in the day...Polanski was mentioned before, and you know jack nicholson had his knob up some 14 year olds arse at some point.

I'm sure the majority of these absentee parents would take a break from their Tequila Sunrises, berate their kids' boarding school teachers for negligence, and be first in line for a tidy trauma payout.

Oh, and they'd be concerned about their kids welfare too, of course.

ZonkoVille77, on 12 Jan 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Listened to Blackstar yesterday and is as experimental and modern as anything that's being produced by young folk. Not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it.

I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop and I have to say it's an absolutely brilliant album. This is not praise just because he's brown bread, it's a genuinely great album. It somehow reminds me of Radiohead's Kid A/Amnesiac period. From a bloke who was nearly 70 that is astonishing. Noel Gallagher thinks having a sax on one of his records is revolutionary - Bowie has drum n bass/r n b/jazz/electronica on this one. Brilliant stuff.

• Upvote 3

I can't listen to that at work but great choice of song, I love Station to Station myself, he said he couldn't remember making it either. It's enough to make you want to go on a coke binge with Earl Slick in LA.

she's normally a rock chick - she has a great rock/blues voice, but that version is a belter. She's not a bad piano player either.  

I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop and I have to say it's an absolutely brilliant album. This is not praise just because he's brown bread, it's a genuinely great album. It somehow reminds me of Radiohead's Kid A/Amnesiac period. From a bloke who was nearly 70 that is astonishing. Noel Gallagher thinks having a sax on one of his records is revolutionary - Bowie has drum n bass/r n b/jazz/electronica on this one. Brilliant stuff.

Agree, never been a massive Bowie fan (i've only ever listened to singles, some ealrly albums and the Berlin period stuff, Heroes and Low), however i heard the title track of Blackstar and loved it, so i gave the rest a listen. It's brilliant, reminds me of how Scott Walker went from the 80's onwards, but much more accessible. In Walker's case he didn't just lean towards the avant garde, he fell right onto it and daubed his own excrement over it, it would have been interesting had Bowie lived, if he would have treaded further down that path.

No more a fitting tribute to Bowie, in my opinion, for an auld fella to remain cutting edge right up to his death.  Not many can say that. 

• Upvote 1

The biggest genious of our time. He went out on a high with the brilliant Blackstar album.

I wrote a piece for a norwegian newspaper, where I picked these as his best 5 albums: Ziggy Stardust, Station to Station, Low, Scary Monsters, Hunky Dory. I also put a lot of work in this playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/judge12/playlist/2qrAG54r8Ltaag07aC3gsu

Sadly missed.

• Upvote 1

Think you're right there mate. I know people who wouldn't know any of his songs but if you put a picture of him in front of them they'd be able to tell you it was David Bowie.

Don't know if I read it here or somewhere else about someone hearing he'd died and saying they knew him from Labryinth and not mentioning his music, but in a way that just proves how iconic he is.

I'm not even comparing the quality of their music but I'd imagine more people would recognise the songs of say Ray Davies, Roger Waters, Robert Plant etc... Than would recognise the people, but with Bowie it's the opposite.

If we're just talking as a British music Icon, again not comparing the music like for like, I'm not sure how many alive now would hold up to him.

The two remaining Beatles and Mick Jagger certainly.

Elton John probably.

Possibly Roger Daltrey and Keith Richards but personally I wouldn't think so.

Any more?

clapton even though hes the most miserable cunt I ve ever had the misfortune of seeing

Think you're right there mate. I know people who wouldn't know any of his songs but if you put a picture of him in front of them they'd be able to tell you it was David Bowie.

Don't know if I read it here or somewhere else about someone hearing he'd died and saying they knew him from Labryinth and not mentioning his music, but in a way that just proves how iconic he is.

I'm not even comparing the quality of their music but I'd imagine more people would recognise the songs of say Ray Davies, Roger Waters, Robert Plant etc... Than would recognise the people, but with Bowie it's the opposite.

If we're just talking as a British music Icon, again not comparing the music like for like, I'm not sure how many alive now would hold up to him.

The two remaining Beatles and Mick Jagger certainly.

Elton John probably.

Possibly Roger Daltrey and Keith Richards but personally I wouldn't think so.

Any more?

The great thing about Bowie is he always retained his creative restlessness.  Most (if not all) of the other icons you've listed have been content to rest on their laurels or to stay in their comfort zone. 

(The Stones, in particular, have been phoning it in for 45 years.)

Bowie was always prepared to risk criticism by doing stuff that he thought was artistically valid.

• Upvote 2

The great thing about Bowie is he always retained his creative restlessness.  Most (if not all) of the other icons you've listed have been content to rest on their laurels or to stay in their comfort zone. 

(The Stones, in particular, have been phoning it in for 45 years.)

Bowie was always prepared to risk criticism by doing stuff that he thought was artistically valid.

That's a great point.

I think Bowie released a lot of crap but he was never afraid to experiment and of reinvention.

I can't listen to that at work but great choice of song, I love Station to Station myself, he said he couldn't remember making it either. It's enough to make you want to go on a coke binge with Earl Slick in LA.

He didn't remember anything of the year 1975, apparently.  I've always loved that.

I feel this thread hasn't got enough of the man.  I was going to put Alladin Sane on, but then I found this on Youtube.

The Dame on gob iron!

• Upvote 4