You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Bowie

Vincent Vega

"Nile Rodgers later recalled that Bowie approached him to produce his album so that Bowie could have hit singles." Thing is - as famous as Bowie was in the 70s it's not like he was selling gazillions of records. Heroes (the single) didn't even get into the top 20 on release. I'm guessing he just wanted to make some big hits and get some chart recognition from the masses. But then he did and didn't like it ha.

Just to add to his 70s album run - the two brilliant Iggy Pop "Berlin" albums The Idiot and Lust For Life, both 1977. I mean, The Idiot is basically a Bowie album. Rough around the edges but still genius. And LFL is a great rock and roller. Bowie also wrote the music for LFL (the song).

So in 1977 Bowie had Low (January), The Idiot (March), Lust for Life (September) and Heroes (October). Quite the year.

If anyone's ever in Berlin you should go to where Bowie and Pop used to live. There's a nice café/bar next to the apartment block they lived in. Lots of Bowie pictures on the walls and stuff. It's in Schoneberg, a nice area to wander round. The flat is on Haupstrasse.

• Upvote 2

I liked Mmm Bop but thought their other stuff was a bit shite.

Did they release other stuff?

On a slightly more serious note, I never really got into Bowie at all until his passing. I heard his famous stuff but once I get into knowing more about someone I tend to become a little bit 'completist' with their work.

So far I have purchased :

Aladdin Sane

Blackstar

Diamond Dogs

Hunky Dory

Let's Dance

Station To Station

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Young Americans

It would appear that I am barely scratching the surface of his work!! Unbelievable talent, incredible body of work but it's going to be expensive getting all the albums so I will have to spend wisely to try and complete it.

I don't even know how many there are in total, but I will keep looking for his albums and try and get good deals on them.

Cracking thread, just a shame that I only got into his work through his passing.

• 3 months later...

I must be in the minority that absolutely loves his later stuff rather than the early.

To me, Heathen, Reality and The Next Day are solid albums. Reality being the weakest but still some fantastic songs like 'Days' and 'She'll Drive The Big Car'

Heathen is incredible. 'Slow Burn', 'Slip Away', 'Everyone Says Hi', '5.15' are some of his best work, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love some stuff from 70s and 80s and it could just be my age as to why I love his later stuff but I think I just 'get it' more.

Dad had the live version of 'All The Mad Men' on in the car earlier. One song I'd have loved to have heard live! The outro blows me away every time.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Heathen is as good as anything Bowie ever did, it's a magnificent album and Blackstar isn't a million miles away either. All the madmen is a great track, I saw Bowie many times but can only remember him performing it at Maine Rd in 1980 something

Hunky Dory is ace, as is everything up to and including Scary Monsters and the last 3 albums; in truth all bar Never Let Me Down have some merit. Astonishing talent, and a seemingly decent, private bloke who once sober wanted nothing to do with the celebrity circus, So that's another tick in the credit column.

Plus his son made a boss film in Moon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Could have put this in cover versions thread but what the fuck I love it anyway...

It's actually better on The Concert For New York in 2001 but YouTube have blocked that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMnm69s-rtg

I've never heard that before, but - fuck me!  That opening line "Let us be lovers, we'll marry our fortunes together" is every syllable a Bowie line, isn't it.

• 2 months later...

There's a really good Bowie article (covering his 'Berlin period') in this month's MOJO along with a cover CD with a load of early synth stuff on it.

Brilliant Otis Redding piece in there too, I didn't realise James Brown had warned him about that plane shortly before it crashed.

MOJO-288-Bowie-Cover-595.jpg?9ab822

Hunky Dory is ace, as is everything up to and including Scary Monsters and the last 3 albums; in truth all bar Never Let Me Down have some merit. Astonishing talent, and a seemingly decent, private bloke who once sober wanted nothing to do with the celebrity circus, So that's another tick in the credit column.

Plus his son made a boss film in Moon

Oh, come on. Even the most sycophantic biographers admit he was anything but. He was apparently totally self-centered, didn't care who he hurt to get what he wanted and was absolutely obsessed with becoming famous from childhood, to the point that almost everybody else would give up after years of humiliating failure and rejections he had to endure before he finally made it. Once he established his fame, he carefully measured his exposure to protect his status, influence and his commercial value. 

Oh, come on. Even the most sycophantic biographers admit he was anything but. He was apparently totally self-centered, didn't care who he hurt to get what he wanted and was absolutely obsessed with becoming famous from childhood, to the point that almost everybody else would give up after years of humiliating failure and rejections he had to endure before he finally made it. Once he established his fame, he carefully measured his exposure to protect his status, influence and his commercial value. 

Did you read the David Bowie biographies or did you just get someone on a forum to summarise for you?

• Upvote 2

Who cares?

• Upvote 2

Did you read the David Bowie biographies or did you just get someone on a forum to summarise for you?

No, I had to read Morley's ass kissing Age of Bowie myself, plus a fair few articles, and a decent share of docs.

Who cares?

Your ma?

• Upvote 1