You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

I couldn't give a shit about dividends, cross-marketing, or any other bollocks that's being tossed about here.

Here's what I do give a shit about. I give a shit that in 2013/14 we lost the league by two points. Two fucking points. And we lost it because the team ran out of steam, and we didn't have adequate replacements to either come in and give others a rest or be substitutes in-game.

We didn't have those replacements because of fucking 'value' in January. Because we weren't prepared to go that extra yard to convince clubs or targets.

We are in a unique position to consolidate a place in the top four. And I'm looking at January recruitment and thinking much the same. That just a couple of injuries to key players would derail us. And I can see much the same thing happening. As rivals around us strengthen, we sit idly by.

Seven days and counting. Over to you, John.

• Upvote 7

This is scandalous charging nearly $2k to watch Liverpool play that doesn't even include a flight, disgusting. I thought Thomas Crook was bad enough. Surprised they can sell tickets to people only from the Americas. I'd expect Rita Ora and Katy Perry to at least be waiting in the hotel for me to give me a hug.

Lverpool FC vs. Tottenham Hotspurs FC

PACKAGE DETAILS

LFC U.S. Supporters Trip

Friday, February 2, 2018 — Tuesday, February 6, 2018

http://www.fenwaysportsmanagement.com/LFCtrips/

I couldn't give a shit about dividends, cross-marketing, or any other bollocks that's being tossed about here.

Here's what I do give a shit about. I give a shit that in 2013/14 we lost the league by two points. Two fucking points. And we lost it because the team ran out of steam, and we didn't have adequate replacements to either come in and give others a rest or be substitutes in-game.

We didn't have those replacements because of fucking 'value' in January. Because we weren't prepared to go that extra yard to convince clubs or targets.

We are in a unique position to consolidate a place in the top four. And I'm looking at January recruitment and thinking much the same. That just a couple of injuries to key players would derail us. And I can see much the same thing happening. As rivals around us strengthen, we sit idly by.

Indeed

I know I'll be in the minority on this, but after that window closed, we drew a game, but then won 11 on the bounce to get us into that position, but if a new player would have changed what happened in those games against Chelsea, Palace or West Brom, it is also likely that it would have changed what happened in the 12 wins we had after the window closed, and we have no idea if it would have been a positive or negative impact. If we'd had another attacker for instance, Sterling and Coutinho would have probably had less time on the pitch, and they played important parts in some of those wins.

I know I'll be in the minority on this, but after that window closed, we drew a game, but then won 11 on the bounce to get us into that position, but if a new player would have changed what happened in those games against Chelsea, Palace or West Brom, it is also likely that it would have changed what happened in the 12 wins we had after the window closed, and we have no idea if it would have been a positive or negative impact. If we'd had another attacker for instance, Sterling and Coutinho would have probably had less time on the pitch, and they played important parts in some of those wins.

Correct. We lost the league that year because we drew at least 8 games earlier in the season when we were not considered to be in a title race. We actual lost fewer games than City.

I think both Anubis' and Woolster's views are valid there.

My issue with them is that near misses have become a pattern under their ownership, so 2013/14 wasn't a one-off.  Rewind a bit further, was there anything we could have done during the summer window of 2013 to help us over the whole 2013/14 season?  The answer must surely be "yes".

Each and every transfer window plays out in more or less the same way, including this one, and I think that contributes to us falling short at the vital moment.

Correct. We lost the league that year because we drew at least 8 games earlier in the season when we were not considered to be in a title race. We actual lost fewer games than City.

Push the yacht out in the summer for a couple of more players, some of those 8 draws could have been turned into wins. 

• Upvote 1

That's not an argument for not buying someone by the way, but my memory of that window is that people were saying we should buy some to consolidate our position in the top 4, no one was thinking we might win the league.

Personally, I think we will finish top 4 whether we buy anyone or not, however there is an increased probability that we don't if we don't buy anyone else, but I am not sure if that change in odds is as big a some (most?) think

Fortune favours the brave.  Are FSG brave?  No, it's not in their interests or nature to be brave. 

Time will tell mate. Id prefer it if mega rich clubs like City were not mega rich. The way I see it no matter how much money our owners put in City United at home maybe Chelsea and PSG will always outspend us.

Time will tell mate. Id prefer it if mega rich clubs like City were not mega rich. The way I see it no matter how much money our owners put in City United at home maybe Chelsea and PSG will always outspend us.

Of course, but there are always players available.  We can still recruit players independently of what the other clubs are doing.  I don't think we do it enough to give ourselves the best chances of success.  

That's not an argument for not buying someone by the way, but my memory of that window is that people were saying we should buy some to consolidate our position in the top 4, no one was thinking we might win the league.

Personally, I think we will finish top 4 whether we buy anyone or not, however there is an increased probability that we don't if we don't buy anyone else, but I am not sure if that change in odds is as big a some (most?) think

To make any change in odds at all, we'd have to bring in proven talent (preferably from the Prem so no settling in required) and they'd have to be good enough to warrant a place in the team or at least on the bench. So you're talking about a £40m plus player who is available now and wants to join us. I don't think there are going to be too many players fitting that bill but the argument seems to be that if there is we should buy them now even if the manager has his eyes on someone in the summer. I think I'll trust Klopp on this one.

The team were gassed. By the time we hit the end they were running on empty. It was a miracle they got as far as they did, and I put that mainly down to Suarez dragging the rest of them with him, even though he was running on empty.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The team were gassed. By the time we hit the end they were running on empty. It was a miracle they got as far as they did, and I put that mainly down to Suarez dragging the rest of them with him, even though he was running on empty.

And we could have had Salah to use as an impact sub back then if we hadn’t fucked everyone around.

Hicks and Gillet must be in tears whenever we surface in the news. FSG acquire us at a bargain basement price, run the club on neutral (being kind), continue to neglect the infrastracture (1 stand upgrade in 8 years), win fuck all, sell our best players repeatedly at the earliest opportunity .. and watch us soar 4x in projected value! Absolutely living the life.

Of course, but there are always players available.  We can still recruit players independently of what the other clubs are doing.  I don't think we do it enough to give ourselves the best chances of success.

This in a nutshell. They're great owners if our financials and balance sheets are what you wank to. Trophies and honours on the pitch will have to wait until someone with ambition and resources takes us on.

• Upvote 1

This in a nutshell. They're great owners if our financials and balance sheets are what you wank to. Trophies and honours on the pitch will have to wait until someone with ambition and resources takes us on.

"Ambition" is stupidity for an owner of a football club unless they are oligarchs or members of a royal family and they can afford to be ambitious. So what you essentially want is one of them. Which is fine, but that's clearly what you want. 

ambition=stupidity

The reduction of expectations job this lot have done on some of our fans, quite remarkable. 

By ambition, I assumed he meant owners that would spend a lot of their own money. There is no business person in the world who is at the level of being the owner of a top football club who wants to do that. Those people don't exist. Unless they are born into money, heads of state or have more money than they know what to do with, like I said. 

• Upvote 1