You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

31 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Angry I believe you're a good man with good intentions but you must be naive or not dare I say it not very 'street wise' on this subject,  everyone knows the awful conditions these capitalist gangmasters put these poor people into yet you seem to condone it, some of the working hours  pay, rights and conditions are as this article states " shocking"

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/shocking-extent-of-modern-slavery-in-agriculture-revealed

Dress it up all you like this is modern day slavery.

You are a master at misunderstanding.

All industries which rely on temporary workers - construction, agriculture, etc. - are breeding grounds for modern slavery and exploitation.  Not every temporarily employed worker is a slave: that's not "naive" it's just a statement of fact.  The important thing is to tackle exploitation, by improving the rights of all workers.

Again, feel free to find a single post in which a reasonable person would think I was "condoning" exploitation.

Don't accuse me of "dressing up" slavery as anything other than slavery.

44 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You're naive.

Do you think taking rights away from workers will make them more or less prey to exploitative employers, gangmasters and slavedrivers?

It's the same simple question you always dodge:

Will taking workers' rights away make things better or worse for those workers?

36 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Dennis the Menace has a lot to fucking answer for.

You're welcome to comment/debate the article. It's happening now in your country. Or is ignorance really bliss? Or shall me pretend not to see?  Or do we embrace it with open arms? 

Me thoughts are clear, go on what's yours?

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You are a master at misunderstanding.

All industries which rely on temporary workers - construction, agriculture, etc. - are breeding grounds for modern slavery and exploitation.  Not every temporarily employed worker is a slave: that's not "naive" it's just a statement of fact.  The important thing is to tackle exploitation, by improving the rights of all workers.

Again, feel free to find a single post in which a reasonable person would think I was "condoning" exploitation.

Don't accuse me of "dressing up" slavery as anything other than slavery.

Where did you buy that big bucket of whitewash from?  

Angry. Let's go back and take baby steps.

Rich people are flying poor people across the world in the middle of a pandemic , a pandemic which is putting a strain on the health service and costing people their lives

It's very likely these peoples rights/pay/working conditions will be extremely poor. Which I would guess (ignore the bullshit lazy brits) why local labour is turned away It's also likely the men at the top will maximize profits.

There is nothing remotely justifiable about anything regarding this episode.

It's a fucking shitstain. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You're welcome to comment/debate the article. It's happening now in your country. Or is ignorance really bliss? Or shall me pretend not to see?  Or do we embrace it with open arms? 

Me thoughts are clear, go on what's yours?

People forced to work in atrocious conditions and being taken advantage of for pennies and the big boys making all the dosh? Bosses not caring about workers and happily flouting rules to make a bigger profit? Sounds like Liverpool in the 70’s and 80’s to me.

17 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Angry. Let's go back and take baby steps.

Rich people are flying poor people across the world in the middle of a pandemic , a pandemic which is putting a strain on the health service and costing people their lives

It's very likely these peoples rights/pay/working conditions will be extremely poor. Which I would guess (ignore the bullshit lazy brits) why local labour is turned away It's also likely the men at the top will maximize profits.

There is nothing remotely justifiable about anything regarding this episode.

It's a fucking shitstain. 

What is your solution?

Mine is to improve the rights of workers, whether they're from Suceava or Southport.  As a Brexit supporter, yours would be to remove the rights of migrant workers, making them more vulnerable to exploitation. 

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

I don't think I've ever put anyone on ignore. It'd become all echo chambery otherwise. We need to expose ourselves to a broad spectrum of opinions.

I don't mind Gnasher holding different opinions, it's the remorseless, monotonous tedium of their presentation which offends. It's a common affliction among left wing firebrands of a certain vintage. If you want people to pay attention to your words, make them interesting to hear, at least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

People forced to work in atrocious conditions and being taken advantage of for pennies and the big boys making all the dosh? Bosses not caring about workers and happily flouting rules to make a bigger profit? Sounds like Liverpool in the 70’s and 80’s to me.

Sounds like planet earth from day one mate. 

• Upvote 1

It may be worth remembering that when peope  are rightly out clapping our NHS and its workers tonight that the founders and principal architects of the welfare state that brought this country not only our health service but fantastic safe housing and apprenticeships for the youth, Bevan, Atlee and Foot were all against any alliance with europe. 

I

14 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It may be worth remembering that when peope  are rightly out clapping our NHS and its workers tonight that the founders and principal architects of the welfare state that brought this country not only our health service but fantastic safe housing and apprenticeships for the youth, Bevan, Atlee and Foot were all against any alliance with europe. 

Tell me, what was Nye Bevan's view on the Maastricht Treaty?

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't mind Gnasher holding different opinions, it's the remorseless, monotonous tedium of their presentation which offends. It's a common affliction among left wing firebrands of a certain vintage. If you want people to pay attention to your words, make them interesting to hear, at least.

Point taken .Unlike the left wing firebrands of a certain vintage being tedious im going to make it a bit more "interesting' by taking a leaf out of the liberal book of persuasion.

I'm going to start an adulterous affair with a homosexual lover, shoot his dog dead and hire a hitman to murder him. Will  that spice it up a bit for you stronts? 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/02/jeremy-thorpe-scandal-attempted-case-to-reopen

26 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I

Bevan on what is now the eu. The man is spot on.

https://nyebevannews.co.uk/the-conception-of-the-common-market-is-the-result-of-a-political-malaise-nye-bevan-on-the-common-market-now-the-eu/

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Point taken .Unlike the left wing firebrands of a certain vintage being tedious im going to make it a bit more "interesting' by taking a leaf out of the liberal book of persuasion.

I'm going to start an adulterous affair with a homosexual lover, shoot his dog dead and hire a hitman to murder him. Will  that spice it up a bit for you stronts? 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/02/jeremy-thorpe-scandal-attempted-case-to-reopen

tenor.gif?itemid=7576942

50 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Thanks for giving an apposite example of what I was talking about. 

53 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

See. Not just a car crash, this is one of those old school pile-ups in written form. You can't take your eyes away from it.

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What is your solution?

Mine is to improve the rights of workers, whether they're from Suceava or Southport.  As a Brexit supporter, yours would be to remove the rights of migrant workers, making them more vulnerable to exploitation. 

I don't think we should improve the rights of people from Wigan, Sunderland or Lincolnshire. Everybody else is fine