You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Sounds very much like farmers/gangmasters using immigrant labour to maximize profits. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/apr/20/just-not-true-were-too-lazy-for-farm-work-say-frustrated-uk-applicants

Remember the Tories had a splurge on the Lazy Brits speil about 10 years ago ?  Plenty of jobs blah blah blah people with their blinds closed etc a lot of people fell for it.  

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Sounds very much like farmers/gangmasters using immigrant labour to maximize profits. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/apr/20/just-not-true-were-too-lazy-for-farm-work-say-frustrated-uk-applicants

Remember the Tories had a splurge on the Lazy Brits speil about 10 years ago ?  Plenty of jobs blah blah blah people with their blinds closed etc a lot of people fell for it.  

Either way it's a homegrown problem.  The farmers change or the workforce accepts the terms offered.  

38 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Either way it's a homegrown problem.  The farmers change or the workforce accepts the terms offered.  

Why should the workforce simply accept the terms offered?  Why should farmers /gangmasters change if they have a ready stream of cheap labour?  

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Why should the workforce simply accept the terms offered?  Why should farmers /gangmasters change if they have a ready stream of cheap labour?  

They don't have a stream of cheap labour, hence the need to fly in people from Romania.  The workforce should accept the terms offered because they voted for Brexit and all that it entails.  So, where are the leave voting fruit pickers?  This is their big chance to shine.  If more of them work then wages will naturally go up through competition.

23 minutes ago, TK421 said:

They don't have a stream of cheap labour, hence the need to fly in people from Romania. 

Only because of the virus.

The workforce should accept the terms offered because they voted for Brexit and all that it entails.

What ? 

So, where are the leave voting fruit pickers?  This is their big chance to shine. 

Did you read the article about the youngsters applying for jobs?

If more of them work then wages will naturally go up through competition.

That's it you win I give up.

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's what you voted for, suck it up. 

No it's what you voted for.

Cheap labour, gangmasters setting the rate, large labour pools, homegrown workers frozen out.

That's part of the reason you lost

I think the one who's going to be sucking it up s you.

12 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

No it's what you voted for.

Cheap labour, gangmasters setting the rate, large labour pools, homegrown workers frozen out.

That's part of the reason you lost

I think the one who's going to be sucking it up s you.

Did you read that article?  

Keep seeing people on Twitter talking about how we didn't partake in a joint procurement exercise for ventilators or whatnot, but little discussion of the fact the EU's response to the pandemic has been a shambles.

No coordination and only minimal support for the more financially vulnerable countries. Hungary has also just become a banana republic and nobody seems to give a fuck.

I took the view of "better the devil you know" with the EU vote but I just don't see what purpose it serves beyond business and trade. In times of conflict (Kosovo) threat (Russia) pandemic or economic disaster (just ask the Greeks) it's absolutely nowhere to be seen.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Keep seeing people on Twitter talking about how we didn't partake in a joint procurement exercise for ventilators or whatnot, but little discussion of the fact the EU's response to the pandemic has been a shambles.

No coordination and only minimal support for the more financially vulnerable countries. Hungary has also just become a banana republic and nobody seems to give a fuck.

I took the view of "better the devil you know" with the EU vote but I just don't see what purpose it serves beyond business and trade. In times of conflict (Kosovo) threat (Russia) pandemic or economic disaster (just ask the Greeks) it's absolutely nowhere to be seen.

Have you googled it?  It’s entirely possible that anything positive the EU has done/doing might not be reported in our media.  

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/covid-19-commission-paves-way-to-draw-e37-billion-from-structural-funds/

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Have you googled it?  It’s entirely possible that anything positive the EU has done/doing might not be reported in our media.  

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/covid-19-commission-paves-way-to-draw-e37-billion-from-structural-funds/

Mate, there's dozens of stories out there from Spain and Italy crying the blues about the EU's performance in all this. 

I'm dubious about the EU's handouts too given what happened to southern Europe, it basically turned the likes of Greece into a third world country.

They also put the blockers on Gordon Brown's global stimulus plan after the credit crunch because the germans have a psychological fear of financial risk taking due to their experiences pre WWII.

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Add Catalonia to the list. 

53 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The last paragraph is basically an admission that they've gone off half-cocked and that everything that preceded it wasn't worth reading. 

Out of interest why wad the girl who applied for 10 jobs offered to live onsite "not worth reading"?  

Same question for the other youngsters sharing their experience in applying for farm work. Why were they "not with reading" 

Here's the link again, the account the kids give seems pretty fair to me,

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Out of interest why wad the girl who applied for 10 jobs offered to live onsite "not worth reading"?  

Same question for the other youngsters sharing their experience in applying for farm work. Why were they "not with reading" 

Gnasher what you have failed to understand from day one is when the UK leaves the EU these workers won't be coming in from Bulgaria or Romania, they won't be sourced from closer to home either. They will be coming in on containers from Sierra Leone and Bukina Faso, in between shifts picking strawberries  for 10 hours in the morning and packing Lonsdale  and slazenger socks in the evening they will dream of the pay and conditions those migrants from Bulgaria had. 

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Gnasher what you have failed to understand from day one is when the UK leaves the EU these workers won't be coming in from Bulgaria or Romania, they won't be sourced from closer to home either. They will be coming in on containers from Sierra Leone and Bukina Faso, in between shifts picking strawberries  for 10 hours in the morning and packing Lonsdale  and slazenger socks in the evening they will dream of the pay and conditions those migrants from Bulgaria had. 

Maybe, you could well be right and I will still stay consistent and ague it's a bad situation all round if you are.

27 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

There are more applicants than jobs at the moment because (a) we've got a freakish situation in which millions of people aren't able to do "normal" work because, y'know, there's a pandemic on; and (b) the harvest season hasn't really started yet.

In those circumstances, you would expect demand for jobs to outstrip their availability.  Once the main season starts (and once the national website is up and running) we can get a realistic picture of what's going on.

I don't know in any depth how the crisis is being dealt with by the EU , but if we accept it is an extremely difficult situation for our government in the UK , I can imagine it is extremely difficult to co-ordinate 27 different governments with differing political situations and varying levels and timings of the virus.

32 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There are more applicants than jobs at the moment because (a) we've got a freakish situation in which millions of people aren't able to do "normal" work because, y'know, there's a pandemic on; and (b) the harvest season hasn't really started yet.

In those circumstances, you would expect demand for jobs to outstrip their availability.  Once the main season starts (and once the national website is up and running) we can get a realistic picture of what's going on.

Ah taking the paymasters at their word now are we?  Its bullshit and you know it.

Why are they flying in workers from Romania and disregarding the kids in that article? 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Ah taking the paymasters at their word now are we?  Its bullshit and you know it.

You think the fruit and veg harvests are most abundant in mid-April because "the paymasters" say something different and everything they say is false?

I think the NFU are also quite insistent on the idea that Winter tends to be colder than Summer; would you start wearing your Bermuda shorts in November because you're convinced of their dishonesty?

• Like 1