You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

WhiskeyJar

The Lambert fee - 4 rising to 9??

How does it more than double, if we win the league and he wins the Ballon d'Or?

That said, if we do pass on Lallana for whatever reason, there will be some miserable twat coming on here saying it is just like every other year, owners not supporting "their" guy, always settling for our fourth choice etc.

I did say last week I was concerned by lfc journos not saying what the add ons are.

If they can push the boat out for lambert I hope we do the same with a top player who can affect the first 11.

That is down to the press though. Anyone who really believes we were "in" for Mktaryan or Costa or even Willian deserves it.

Konoplyanka I think we tried and got shafted.

Lallana if we pass I am not that bothered. I think we will try and move onto another quality player there.

If Moreno and Can go south, questiontime.

We were clearly in for those players, and I didn't think we'd ever get to the stage where that fact was being questioned. If we weren't in for those players, then last summer was even worse than it appeared, because that means we spent the summer transfer window doing less than nothing for 95% of it.

Yeah, genetics isn't the defining quality when it comes to athletes rather than graft, that's why Socrates could smoke 40 ciggies a day and still be one of the greatest midfield players the world has ever seen, while Jay Spearing plays for Bolton. 

Sorry mate, that's a really poor way to try and prove the point. That's before we even get into what genetics has to do with being able to pick a pass or kick a ball.

You might want to go and talk to all the billy-bog-bollocks who were the best player in their school team at 12 and never made it as some dedicated, determined kid made the most of what he had to apply himself and become a pro. Genetics might make sprinters, it doesn't make play-makers.

99% of the time talent isn't genetics. It's coaching and application.

Stu's right it's exactly that, coaching, application, and the quality of the opposition. If you took two identical twins and made one play tennis against a beginner and the other played with Roger Federer every day for a year. The latter may lose every single game and every single set he ever plays, but you put them against each other at the end, the twin who played with Federer would destroy the other one, probably win every game and every set in the process.

That's why academy players often look like rabbits in the headlights when they start playing in the premier league, or why the SPL doesn't have any good players, or why the might of the USA has barely produced a single top flight player. Surely the USA is home to thousands upon thousands of young kids with fantastic genetics, the law of averages dictates that, yet not one top player, again coaching and quality of opposition, genetics...not so much.

Surely the USA is home to thousands upon thousands of young kids with fantastic genetics, the law of averages dictates that, yet not one top player, again coaching and quality of opposition, genetics...not so much.

The majority of young Americans have no interest in becoming top "Soccer" players. 

I agree with this point on the whole though.

Sorry mate, that's a really poor way to try and prove the point. That's before we even get into what genetics has to do with being able to pick a pass or kick a ball.

You might want to go and talk to all the billy-bog-bollocks who were the best player in their school team at 12 and never made it as some dedicated, determined kid made the most of what he had to apply himself and become a pro. Genetics might make sprinters, it doesn't make play-makers.

99% of the time talent isn't genetics. It's coaching and application.

Would you say that the ability to apply oneself and to understand and interpret coaching is perhaps influenced by your genetic make up?

To be fair, where did I say 'a lazy genius will always trump duffers who work extremely hard'.

Nor did I say good football genetics meant you were built like the SS poster boy. I'm saying the best qualities of a footballer are inborn and that when all things are equal,filling your side with a bunch of 'top lads' who pull together and dig deep because they're English will only get you so far when you're pushing for top honours, and only for so long.

Genetics is what made Fowler know where the ball was going to land in the box, depiste being neither a genius nor a fan of the treadmill. It's what made Hamann able to grip and entire midfield without having to walk more than ten yards in any direction while inferior players ran around like headless chickens.

You can't teach any of that, you can hone it but you can't create it. There is no substitute for it. When you're trying to reach the top, if you're spending huge money these are the types of players you want, playwes who have natural, top class ability.

I really don't think this is that controversial, again, it's why football has tiers, or would people suggest the average Premiership player works harder than a Championship one? I'd suggest it's probably the opposite.

• Upvote 1

course you can teach it the phrase is a meaningless commentators phrase that is a lie and a lie is a lie. Are you teling me the Cruyff turn or a low backlift shot is genetic? Get a grip man, Im all for your narratives as its midly entertaining bullshit but this is a step too far out of romanceville right into absurdswordsworth city centre with your baseless assertions.

• Upvote 1

They might not work harder than anyone they train harder and work smarter and have had different experiences but have a higher motivation level for it caused by co incidental occurences and will work harder and smarter to get there. Give me any healthy kid at the age of two and I could turn it into a top sportperson at any sport or a top musician or whatever by the time it was 20.

Its all about the motivation intentional or unintentional, thats why people can go shit if they 'fall out of love with the game' and forget why they ever loved it so, no matter what their genetics say.

Its a misunderstood concept genetics, its not a computer program and never has worked like that total scifi fantasy misunderstood genetic argument.

The concept of what a gene actually is seems to be lost here, there's genes that cause the body to store energy as fat for long winters so you can survive without food, they tell you how you look, they tell you when to make muscle, when to build bone etc, most of these are things are ingrained for survival. why would there be a gene to know "were the ball lands in the box"? what purpose would the evolutionary genetic code take from something as pointless to survival as that?

It's a ridiculous statement, what you are talking about is "learnt experience".

So when McManaman asked Fowler how he knows where to hit the ball and he said 'I just know', that was because he practiced a lot? What's everyone else's excuse then? They didn't practice? 

Yeah its like if someone asks you if you remember the drive into work or how you did it. Not relevant at all to the argument, read his autobiography and ask anyone who lived round tokky when he did as a kid will tell you his dad from the earliest age took him out there. Its clear the love for his father and desire to impress him led to his motive and the fact his dad took the time out everyday throwing a ball at him to volley since before he could even walk and his mother nurtured him well along the same lines, football was the be all and end all and it would have been a herd of horses to pull him away from it.

Theres a book callled the talent myth and also theres Fowlers autobiography I suggest.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

why would there be a gene to know "were the ball lands in the box", what purpose would the evolutionary genetic code take from something as pointless to survival as that?

Is that a serious statement? God, this thread is retarded.

I know because I had siblings I have trained using this method, my brother started too late to be a footballer so I took him aside and got him into running is now in team GB, my younger sister is 14 and wanted in, shes going to be in team GB also and is a suddenly a very 'talented musician and artist' according to her school, we know thats shit and she practises her paintings and saxophone because I pay her a fiver for every picture she paints or song she plays. She saw what I did for her older brother and asked me to make her a top runner, I have to curb her running now  because she is still at a developing and growing phase which takes longer than a lad.

Just to see if I could deploy the same tactic I used for my brothers running into other things.  My brother has just won the echo young sportsperson of the year and i told him long before all this would come, hes smashed steve crams longstanding record and I mean smashed, you ask any top athlete or 'talent' if they had a role model who took the time to build them up and push them a bit, (or better still motivated them to push themself) and see if any answer 'no'.

Its the same method I used to use for training dogs and theres science in the fact that it works without fail.

Sections claiming that Fowlers genetics made him instinctively know were a ball would land in the box, i'm saying he knew because he's played the game his entire life, majoritively as a striker and it's learnt experience, from practise, dedication, discipline and hard work. Theres absolutely nothing i've said which is wrong there.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You know your problem? God gave you too much of the 'ridicule people on the internet' gene.

And a small penis. Dangerous combination.

If the dinosaurs knew where the big fiery balls were landing then maybe they wouldn't be extinct now. Evolution has seen to that. Now when the dinosaurs come back (and they will) they'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

I know because I had siblings I have trained using this method, my brother started too late to be a footballer so I took him aside and got him into running is now in team GB, my younger sister is 14 and wanted in, shes going to be in team GB also and is a suddenly a very 'talented musician and artist' according to her school, we know thats shit and she practises her paintings and saxophone because I pay her a fiver for every picture she paints or song she plays. She saw what I did for her older brother and asked me to make her a top runner, I have to curb her running now because she is still at a developing and growing phase which takes longer than a lad.

Just to see if I could deploy the same tactic I used for my brothers running into other things. My brother has just won the echo young sportsperson of the year and i told him long before all this would come, hes smashed steve crams longstanding record and I mean smashed, you ask any top athlete or 'talent' if they had a role model who took the time to build them up and push them a bit, (or better still motivated them to push themself) and see if any answer 'no'.

Its the same method I used to use for training dogs and theres science in the fact that it works without fail.

Interesting post.

On the other hand, weren't you on trial last month for fraud and assault?

• Upvote 1

It feels natural to Fowler like driving feels natural and instinctive the millionth time, the attention to detail that is required for a top level athlete is a result of obsession which is derived from motivation, motivation is sought by doubling it with instincts like maternal love and identity and twistin the success sense in their little silly kid hedz. Get them to behave as Milton Freidman shopaholic consumers trying to get an identity by powershopping but you powershop for skills.

Its as simple as that my wanderlings.

• Upvote 1