You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich City vs Liverpool (Apr 20 2014)

WhiskeyJar

That was nervy. Even Gerrard puffed his cheeks out, in a "what the fuck?" kind of way at one point.

All this Sakho malarkey is bollocks though. He looked dodgy once. When a ball was played to him when he had two men closing on him.

He looks perfectly assured on the ball. Loves fizzing low passes into midfield to start off our attacks.

Stats today - 95% pass completion, 11 out of 11 successful clearances (succesful means cleared, possession retained), 7 out of 7 succesful headed clearances, won 3 out of 4 aerial duels, recovered possession twice, no free kicks conceded.

I feel sorry for him when he actually has a bad game!

• Upvote 2

Sakho was fine. It's the insistence on passing across the back when it isn't safe to do so that's the problem and placed him in difficult situations occasionally. A couple of times Sterling very intelligently dropped deeper to give him an out. 

8/10 times you'll get away with it but it's the 2/10 times where the opposition get it and are right onto our backline that's the problem. Our players need to realise that it's ok to hoof a couple of more times than they do.

That was nervy. Even Gerrard puffed his cheeks out, in a "what the fuck?" kind of way at one point.

All this Sakho malarkey is bollocks though. He looked dodgy once. When a ball was played to him when he had two men closing on him.

He looks perfectly assured on the ball. Loves fizzing low passes into midfield to start off our attacks.

Stats today - 95% pass completion, 11 out of 11 successful clearances (succesful means cleared, possession retained), 7 out of 7 succesful headed clearances, won 3 out of 4 aerial duels, recovered possession twice, no free kicks conceded.

I feel sorry for him when he actually has a bad game!

He's ace. Him and Skrtel are pretty solid.  Agger is a decent back up as well.  It's Glen I'm worried about

Sakho looks like he's one season behind in terms of the philosophy. He thinks possession is 9/10th's of the law, but it's okay to mix it up a bit, it's okay to make a run forward with the ball or hoof it if he's in trouble. All the players were like that in their first season under Rodgers, he'll show improvements next year, once his english is better and he gets regular games and a clean bill of health.

The saying goes, if you put enough pressure on a lump of coal it becomes a diamond. Our players have never been in this position before with this pressure. They are relatively young and if we win the league they will gain a lot of confidence for years to come. This could be he making of a team that could dominate for years.

Well said!

Delighted with the result. Sterling was immense.

As soon as glen fuckin Johnson gets sold the better. Fuckin useless.

Spot on. As for Johnson, he's been gash for quite some time now. The sooner we fuck him off and get Kelly or any of the youngsters come in, the better.

It was nervy and edgy but them's the kind of games you have to win. I don't think we came out of it looking good and I am annoyed at just how unintelligent and thick we are at times. Everything about the two goals we conceded today stunk of braindead play. There was no need for it and I maintain that this team has a killswitch that will bring everything crashing down if we aren't careful. For all Norwich's relegation fuelled bluster we missed two very, very good opportunities. Especially Lucas at 3-2, should be 4-2 and game over so I don't buy that we were lucky. Nervy? Without a doubt. Lucky? Not for me - although Wolf van Winkel nearly did us.

Glen Johnson is nerve shreddingly lazy. I don't know if its a tactical thing but the amount of times he allows a cross to come in sickens me. It is inviting serious trouble and it cost us a goal today. Mentally we looked tired and physically too because we flew out of the blocks again. But we can't defend like that next week because Chelsea will kill us stone dead. Lucas does not have the same energy that he once had and that's unfortunate but he looks like a spare part in Rodgers' set up and he looked lost today. He got stuck in as always but I suspect that this team has passed him by.

Amen to that!

After the game I felt physically sick. In fact, I felt exactly like John Travolta did in that scene from Pulp fiction:

vlcsnap_2014_04_20_22h15m38s204.jpg

"And now if you'd excuse me, I'll go home and have a heart attack" indeed.

If we play like that against Chelsea next week, we are toast, simple as that.

I really hope we can get Sturridge fit for that game. I also hope we keep the ball better and exercise a better control of the game, particularly in midfield.

With our original target of CL football achieved (guaranteed 3rd place, whatever happens), we can now aim for the big one! Onwards, and upwards - we are 7 points from greatness now...

Just watching the game again and when Hooper has his half chance in the first half when Allen blocked him twice, Gerrard tried to block the initial effort but Hooper feigned to shoot then cut back inside, and Stevie went down like he was shot as he got his feet stuck together,very fucking funny. Well its funny cos we won.

Id have him back in against Chelsea, not convinced by Sakho in any way.

I'm convinced he's brilliant!

Yesterday's stats for Sakho - 2 interceptions, 11/11 clearances, 7/7 headed clearances & 3/4 ariel duels. 95% pass completion with 32 going forward. 

No chance I'd play Agger over him..

• Upvote 2

Sakho is a fucking liability at times. Its as though in the middle of a game he will have a massive brainfart.

Cant wait for Agger to be 100% fit again

Bullshit. Sakho is fine. He looks ungainly, but his passing is boss. The only time he fucked up yesterday was when he got passed the ball with two men on him.

• Upvote 1

Can remember someone saying he passes the ball really strangely a few weeks or so back. Have noticed that too, but he's never made a bad pass when I've noticed it so not complaining.

One of my own own issues with him is that he'll lunge in on a challenge when it's not needed at times, like he did today, and clearly against City when many others probably thought it should've been a penalty. Both times he's completely missed the player and it could've easily been a foul, (which against City could've lost us points, and that's partly why I've been concerned.) but that's something that he should do a lot less with experience. Or at least I'm hoping.

If it turns out to be a near-regular thing like with Lucas and his mad tackles that he seems to do though, then yeah it'll be an issue eventually (when Lucas makes those fouls where he runs into the back of the player near our area it almost drives me mad at times. How many times has he done that?) Mentioning it because I honestly have no idea if it's something he's going to stop doing or not, but he's going to have to really because that type of thing is going to concede a penalty at some point in a big game if it carries on. It might seem like nitpicking but it's actually my biggest issue with him, I think we've been lucky so far because he's not made contact with the ball on the two occasions that I remember it happening.

The better we play though the less chance there is that it's even going to be possible. Maybe it's just the extreme pressure we're under right now that's making that happen.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Sakho is a fucking liability at times. Its as though in the middle of a game he will have a massive brainfart.

Cant wait for Agger to be 100% fit again

Doesn't compute. Agger costs us goals. Sakho doesn't. I really like you as a poster, but I totally disagree with that.