You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

He wasn't the captain when the whole Chelsea thing kicked off. Anyway, he may have been tempted by them but it's been 8/9 fucking years. I don't know what's up with people that they can't let it go.

I have "let it go". This is a retrospective look at what does/doesn't make a good captain.

The lack of emotion that some people are jibbing him about, is actually one of Gerrard's best attributes. He's learnt over the years to stop forcing it, to just play relaxed. Dr Steve Peters works on that, Bellamy went from screaming at everyone to quiet as a mouse at times, because it doesn't help his game, he recognised it and dealt with it. The anger isn't constructive, the negativity in your mind, whether it translates to fear of missing a penalty or  misplacing a pass back to your keeper, it isn't constructive, it can actually cause you to choke in those moments.

There is a reason why Federer, Woods, Michael Jordan, Fedor Emelianenko and Messi etc are all emotionless in their respective fields and why they're so good, and have been so dominant in those fields. Obviously it's not the only reason but it is an important differential. The mid set of a champion, a great book actually is "The champions mind- how great athletes think".

If you read it you could draw a lot of similarities to Gerrard's mentality on the pitch and how he handles important moments like penalty's or going behind in a game.

I was one of those that used to think the team was better off without Gerrard in it at all as the whole team seemed to be in awe and would rely on him and when he wasn't on it the team didn't perform so a weird situation came about (I may actually be the only one that thought this!) Whereby having one of the world's best was actually sometimes a negative. Since suarez has been here though the burden has been lifted and the team don't rely on Gerrard as much and can play their own game

As for big, bad Rafa trying to force him out... Yep, that's what happened... I'm guessing he held a gun to his head pre-Olympiakos and post-Istanbul too... Not really what has been my gripe with him, but since it was brought up, thought I'd be silly enough to comment on that too...

I don't think Rafa was forcing him out.  I think he was toying with the idea of selling him to have funds to build his team - like when he sold Owen and we got Alonso and Garcia the season before.

After Istanbul and Gerrard said on tv -  "how could I leave" or words to that effect.  The next day or two we should have got a contract right under Gerrard's nose to sign.  But we didn't, Rafa was always cold to his players and showed no sign he wanted Gerrard to stay - treating them as employees rather than people (as it says in Balague's book).

Gerrard wants to be loved, he was our star player, arguably the most wanted player in the world after Istanbul, our fans were desperate for him to stay - yet Benitez and Parry didn't show him any sign.  As soon as they did, he signed.

That is Gerrard's version of events and who am I to argue after all he has done for us and it actually all adds up and makes sense.

Now can we get being arguably our greatest captain during this title run in or do you want to continue having a pop at him?!

This page is like my bird. Loves drama. Even when things are going great she just can't help herself but to prove herself right over something or stir up some shit. Try finding out all the good stuff people said and commending them on it. One love brothers!

Hard to tell. I think Suarez has been our true captain the last two seasons if I'm honest, but it's nice to see Gerrard trying his best again too. I'd give Luis the armband should this year's title challenge fail, as I can see Gerrard's head drop agains should we not make it. In fact, I'd give Luis the armband anyway, might even help us retaining his services a bit longer...

Oh lord, this is a bad one.  Our true captain?

Do you even know who Gerrard is?  Do you watch what he does when he's on the pitch and what (the bits we can see) he does off it?  Do you not see how all the players speak about him, including Suarez?  This has taken over for me as the shittest post ever written on here and there are some shockers (probably mostly written by me).

He went through years of carrying the club almost single-handedly on the pitch and that's not an understatement.  I don't think people like you actually remember this.  I actually wonder if you were even watching us then.  He had those moments with Chelsea, we can't get away from that.  What we can say though is he stayed.  Whether it was gangster influence or the reasons he gave in the end, he didn't actually go.  He stayed and stuck it out.  When you look back it all the top players he played with, who were actually good enough to go to bigger clubs than us or clubs in a position to win more things than us, they did actually fuck off.  Suarez was even trying it in the summer.

For these reasons alone he should remain captain until he retires.  He could have played for anyone and continued to play for us.  All the baggage that comes with that, he carries around his neck to this day.  He was a great captain 10 years ago and he's an even better captain now but you want to replace him with the guy who has brought a lot of controversy and only now is not continually whinging at his team mates at every opportunity.  Suarez could be captain if Gerrard wasn't here but he is and he isn't on the same planet as him in terms of that side of his game.

Two analogies spring to mind with Gerrard for me these days. 

The first one is about Zanetti and what Mascherano said about him.  Maradona came in as manager and said to Mascherano I want you as my captain going into the World Cup.  Mascherano said something along the lines of, no chance as long as Zanetti is in the squad he is the captain.  You could give me the armband but it wouldn't mean anything Zanetti is the captain and all the players know that.  It's one of my favourite things I've heard from Mascherano and he's right.  It's exactly the same with Gerrard.  It wouldn't make any difference if another player had the armband because Gerrard is Mr Liverpool and rightfully so.

The second one is from the film Any Given Sunday.  Without getting into the depths of it,  you've got Jamie Foxx who is the massively talented quarter back and you have got Dennis Quaid.  Quaid is the old guy.  He's been there and done it all.  He's on his last legs and the team need a win for the championship.  He puts Quaid in ahead of Foxx in the final game.  Foxx doesn't understand it.  In a play Quaid basically sacrifices himself and basically his career for his team and his team mates.  That's when Foxx learns it's not all about him.

As much shit as Gerrard takes for his ego, he is always for the team.  He has played everywhere without complaint and played under various managers who I reckon he must have felt weren't getting the best out of him and got on with it.  Suarez at the moment is still of the opinion whatever is best for him is best for the team.  That's not always the case (although it is a lot of the time) and it's what makes Gerrard the captain and not him.

The last sentence in your post sums up how much of an idiot you are.  You would take the captaincy off Gerrard even if his captaincy brought us the title this season.  You are a fucking joke and a disgrace to call yourself a fan of Liverpool.  You know nothing about this club and about football in general from the outlook of this post.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Great post that, until the last paragraph.

Just completely unnecessary.

I disagree.  If that's his view then he's an idiot.  I don't think it's a particularly bad thing to say.  People get too precious, it's barely an insult.

Knowing all that stuff I put about Gerrard is Liverpool 101.  If you don't get that and agree with it then you shouldn't be a Liverpool fan.  That's the view I hold anyway.

• Downvote 2

He had those moments with Chelsea, we can't get away from that.  What we can say though is he stayed.  Whether it was gangster influence or the reasons he gave in the end, he didn't actually go.  He stayed and stuck it out.  When you look back it all the top players he played with, who were actually good enough to go to bigger clubs than us or clubs in a position to win more things than us, they did actually fuck off. 

Love this.

• Upvote 1

The Marriners?  Seriously, I didn't want Kenny back for all the reasons that came apparent once he did get back.  I was castigated for it at the time.  And as I said, I was relieved when he went because I though the job was taking a heavy toll on his health.  One look at pictures of him before and after would show that.  I had no view on Rodgers whn he joined, but I certainly have never posted anything to suggest I was against him coming in.  

So, you preferred Hodgson to Benitez and Dalglish?

There is nothing like our Mids

Nothing, in this world

There are no amount of quids

To buy anything like our MIDS

by Kopout

(to be sung to the tune of "There is nothing like a Dame" from the movie 'South Pacific')

• Upvote 1