You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That Ogden fella from The Telegraph is saying we have actually bid.

Meanwhile the fee for Siquiera has apparently "trebled". Back to Cissokho it is then, I guess.

Real Madrid were told the price was around 10-12 million a few weeks back for the lad from Granada, so surprised the club are saying that.

I know that way too often we've run out of idea when dealing with teams that park the bus and I think Willian would help break those teams down, it would also allow Countinho to play through the middle.

I agree and I think he'll improve us.

Just £30 million does sound a lot.

Liverpool favourites to sign £30m-rated Willian with Tottenham and Manchester United also in the hunt

Liverpool have emerged as the favourites to sign the Brazilian playmaker Willian for £30m although they are facing strong competition from Tottenham Hotspur and, as of Thursday, Manchester United.

By Jason Burt

4:31PM BST 15 Aug 2013

United are understood to have made a late inquiry for the exciting 25-year-old who has been told he can leave the Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala which is beset by financial difficulties.

United are desperate to bolster their attacking options ahead of the new campaign and have registered their interest in Willian.

Willian is hoping to sort out his future in the next few days and his signing could be one of the most exciting deals of the summer window and a marquee statement of intent from Liverpool, in particular.

If Liverpool captured the midfielder it would be the second most expensive deal in the club’s history after the £35m purchase of Andy Carroll from Newcastle United in Jan 2011 which was funded by the £50m sale of Fernando Torres to Chelsea.

Liverpool, however, are adamant that if they signed Willian it does not mean they will sell Luis Suarez.

Willian only moved to Anzhi in January from Shakhtar Donetsk, after talks over a club record £35m move to Spurs broke down even though Chairman Daniel Levy had travelled to Ukraine to try and close the deal.

Willian had also previously been close to a move to Chelsea and has long been admired by Spurs head coach Andre Villas-Boas who was previously in charge at Stamford Bridge.

Willian was in England last week to try and negotiate his future after he was put up for sale by Anzhi following the decision by the club’s Russian billionaire owner Suleiman Kerimov to withdraw much of his funding and offload players, transfer-listing his squad.

Willian has made no secret of the fact that he would like to play in the Premier League and Liverpool want to improve their goalscoring power having missed out on Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who moved from Shakhtar to Borussia Dortmund, and striker Diego Costa who has signed a new contract at Atletico Madrid even though the Anfield club met the release clause in the Brazilian’s previous deal.

Sources close to the move suggested yesterday that Liverpool was Willian’s most likely destination given how strongly they are pushing to close the transfer but that he would be open to a move to either Spurs or United.

Liverpool are facing competition. Willian is on the list of creative players – along with Roma’s Erik Lamela – that Villas-Boas and technical director Franco Baldini want to add to the Spurs squad as they sense an opportunity to challenge for honours.

Spurs have been extremely busy in the transfer market and yesterday finally confirmed the signing of French international midfielder Etienne Capoue for £8.6m from Toulouse. The 25-year-old is the club’s fourth major signing of the summer after moves for Paulinho, Nacer Chadli and Roberto Soldado while Spurs have are also undertaking a raft of sales.

United are considering signing two midfielders this summer – a creative player and an attacking, goalscoring player and are continuing their pursuit of Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas despite his public declaration that he does not want to leave.

However United would not be chasing the deal had they not had encouragement from Fabregas and his advisers although despite their intent the chances of securing the Spanish international remain slim.

Despite the fact that the £22m buy-out clause in Marouane Fellaini’s contract at Everton expired at the end of last month – meaning they would have to bid more – United remained convinced they will be able to sign the Belgian international if they want to. A £12m offer for another Everton player, left back Leighton Baines, also remains on the table.

Liverpool favourites to sign £30m-rated Willian with Tottenham and Manchester United also in the hunt - Telegraph

................Sturridge............

Will-I-an.....Coutinho......Suarez...

...........Gerrard..Lucas..........

Enrique...Agger..Toure..Johnson

..............Mignolet.................

Top 4?

Now that I've fixed it, I'd be disappointed if we didn't get top 3. Really can't see the mancs being any great shakes this season. They're only 13/2 to finish outside the top 4.

I'm less optimistic now with The Echo saying they expect Willian to take a pay cut to join the club. There will be too many clubs involved offering to match his wages so why take a pay cut to join Liverpool?

Exactly. United Spurs and Arsenal could all yet move. Not to mention the rest of Europe.

The only way this would happen is if we were in and out quickly.

Let´s put it this way. I was over the moon when we were sniffing around Mikhitaryan as he is a player I have dreamt of us buying. There is one player though that has impressed me more when I have been watching other teams - Willian. He is the kind of player that makes other players better and he makes thing happening on the pitch. Yes, I agree the youtube clips

does not show his qualities. I would be very surprised if we could get this player in front of all other rich top clubs. A fantastic player.

He was the stand out player for me when I watched Shakhtar in the CL last season.

Being a left sided attacking player only helps.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

At full strength. I'd say only City have a significantly better attacking front four than we would if we sign a high quality left sided player.

City are ridiculously strong in that area. Aguero, Jovetic, Negredo, Navas, Nasri, Dzeko, Silva. That's probably the strongest squad I've ever seen in the attacking areas.

Chelsea are good, actually. Hazard, Mata, Schurrle, Ba, Torres, Oscar. Not as deep as City, but good.

We would have Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Willian, Aspas, Sterling, Ibe, Borini. Considering we were playing Shelvey up front at times last season, I can't help but feel that's going in the right direction. Perhaps not as deep with quality as those two ultra rich clubs, but quality none the less.