You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jay Spearing

WhiskeyJar

Guest ShoePiss

Jay and Jack's loan report - Liverpool FC

After respective loan spells with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers in 2012-13, Jack Robinson and Jay Spearing have reported back on their experiences last season.

Most Recent News

Reds to meet Celtic in Dublin

100PWSTK: 87. Mark Wright

100PWSTK: 88. David James

Reds are Europe's top shooters

Tuesday's latest LFC gossip

Spearing made 39 appearances during a season-long stay at the Reebok Stadium and was voted the club's player of the year by supporters.

Robinson, meanwhile, featured on 11 occasions at Molineux as Wolves were relegated from the Championship.

In a joint interview with the latest edition of the official Liverpool FC magazine, the pair reflected on what they learned from their temporary moves away from Anfield.

Read on for the best of their chat...

On learning...

JS: I don't think it's so much a case of what you learn as just gaining the opportunity to go and play regular football. I sat down with the gaffer at the start of the season and we had a good conversation where we were both really honest. There was no tension - we just agreed that in terms of game-time it was good for me to go and play. I had a few options but I chose Bolton and loved every second of it - playing week in, week out and fighting to try and get in the play-offs.

Subscribe to the official LFC programme and/or magazine for 2013-14 now>>

JR: Because we were in a relegation battle at Wolves I think you've just got to try and find that little bit extra every week to get those wins. Those wins never came but we tried our best. For me, playing in the Championship was a great experience. Just to get some games in such a hard league like that was fantastic.

On the number of games...

JS: With 46 league games they come around thick and fast. But I found that I preferred it when we were in a routine of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday because you're going straight into games. When it's Saturday to Saturday there can be a lot of waiting around. But as a team we seemed to impress more when the games were coming regularly and we picked up points in those spells.

JR: It was great for me to have a run of games. It's always difficult when you're not playing regularly, when you train all week then you're sitting on the bench. I think being at Liverpool Football Club at such a young age it's always going to be tough to try and gain a place and cement it, but hopefully in the next few years that will come. It was good to go to a club like Wolverhampton Wanderers and know you can play at that level. I think 10 games in a row was the longest run I've had since I was 16. It was so good to play again like that and it gets your confidence up.

On the differences to the Premier League...

JS: There is a little bit of difference. Every team in the Premier League wants to get the ball down and play and it's a lot faster and sharper. In the Championship when you start getting towards the latter stages of the season, teams become more dogged and work hard to get the results to either get them into the play-offs or away from the relegation zone. Our home form was unbelievable - we won most of our games and that was because we played our football and we had the ideal pitch to play on. Going away from home it was sometimes tough on pitches where we would have to change our game. So there was a little bit of a difference compared to the Premier League, but I wouldn't say it was massive.

JR: They were all good games to play in, hard games. Going on loan is one of the best things I've ever done. It's just different from playing in the U21s, U18s and reserve games. You don't know what it's going to be like until you go out there. If I was asked by another young player who wasn't playing regularly and needed games, I would definitely recommend that they go out on loan.

On the manager's verdict...

JS: We've spoken on a few occasions but there's nothing to report. I'm just going to get myself fit and we'll have another chat in the summer, see what the plan is and go from there.

JR: I spoke to the gaffer and he said he'd watched all the games and they were good competitive matches for me to play in. He suggested that maybe next season it would be good to try and get another loan spell just to get a full season under my belt because I haven't played a lot of games in the last three years. When you play four or five first-team games a season it's difficult to get your confidence up and play well. In those 11 games I had at Wolves it was the best my confidence has been in two or three years. So I'd love to go out on loan again to get a full season. That's the benefit of going out on loan young - you come back and you're still quite young but also have that experience. Mind you, when I got back to Melwood in May I soon remembered how hard the training is here - I was blowing after the first session back!

not good enough for us Jay and its weird because I never thought he was a bad player or anything and my initial instinct is that he should be able to play Premier League but then I struggle to think of a side he'd actually get in, might be a decent signing for one of the promoted teams though

Impossible not to not like Jay, great attitude and not a bad player. I just feel we need better.

As for Allen I thought he started ok and tailed of drastically, wether the injury played a part I do not know, plus did his wife have a kid as well. Move to a big club, injury and new kid, a lot to take in.

Like to see him a bit more and make an opinion, having said that I would not be arsed if he was sold.

Over the years Man Utd sold and replaced their Cantona's, Ronaldo's and Van Nistlerooy's but they always kept their shit but committed academy players. Fowler9 just asked who Jay would get a game for, who would Johnny Evans get a game for? Nicky Butt? Wes Brown? Danny 2 goals Welbeck? Apart from Steve Bruce and David Moyes nobody ever bought their shit because they where shit, those 2 bought these lads purely for their mentality and attitude. Jay has both of those and should be kept, he will never be a starter but imo it's better to fill the squad with local lads that will be average but dependable rather than your Raul Meireles's type with more ability but a cunts attitude. Obviously when we get back to regular CL football we will need to improve on squad players 16-22 (in old money) but for the the next 3 or 4 years these lads will do just fine.

Edit, if Coady is good enough then sell Jay tomorrow.

Both not good enough.

In fact all our midfield is piss poor.

If Lucas ever had it, he hasn't got it now.

Henderson, maybe is is ok. Needs to define a role for himself.

Allen. Too lightweight. Not sure what he's in the side for?

Doesn't hold, doesn't win the ball, doesn't distribute well.

Gerrard. Getting too old for box to box.

Should be played further forward.

We won't progress until our obvious problems in midfield are truly nailed.

We are very light there.

No way is Jay Spearing even remotely anywhere near Joe Allen in terms of ability. Allen showed more in 6-7 games at the start of this season than Jay's shown throughout his entire career. Best thing for him is to make the move to Bolton permanent and be done with it. Good luck to him though, i wish him well.