You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jay Spearing

WhiskeyJar

What did allen show exactly? If Jay was welsh he'd have had 100 caps for them by now. I really see nothing at all of note from Allen after one year.

His movement off the ball, his ability to relieve pressure from the back four when they pass it out from the back, his passing, his pressing of the opposition when possession is lost, his dynamism in terms of breaking forward and offering support for the midfield and attack, controlling the pace of the game in the DM role.

I can't forget Spearing shitting the bed in the carling cup final, he tried to volley the ball, missed it and gifted them possession, Ramirez scored. All Spearing ever did was doss around in the centre of the field and pass the ball sideways to Gerrard. That midfield pairing of Spearing and Adam was the worst in the last 30 years of this club.

I havent seen any such things from Allen, maybe stronger on the ball and slightly more assured but thats about it, Jay is judged harshly cos we didnt blow £10m for him and he didnt get to play with a real dm alongside him.

One cup final does not make a swallow.

Surely it's the other way round.

I think Allen will end up doing what Henderson did for us. People forget how shit Henderson was last year, he was awful to say the least. His best game for us in that season was playing as a makeshift Rb. But if you watch him this year it's like watching a completely different player. The player we thought we were buying turned up this year.

Allen showed more at the start of this season than Henderson showed throughout last year and as long as Rodgers is manager of liverpool, Allen will get chances in this team. Once the shoulder is healed and the confidence returns i think he'll change peoples perceptions of him just like Henderson and Lucas before him. As far as Allen vs Spearing, one has a future with this club the other does not. The club should focus it's time on bringing through Suso and Sterling and stop investing time and energy on also-rans.

His movement off the ball, his ability to relieve pressure from the back four when they pass it out from the back, his passing, his pressing of the opposition when possession is lost, his dynamism in terms of breaking forward and offering support for the midfield and attack, controlling the pace of the game in the DM role.

I can't forget Spearing shitting the bed in the carling cup final, he tried to volley the ball, missed it and gifted them possession, Ramirez scored. All Spearing ever did was doss around in the centre of the field and pass the ball sideways to Gerrard. That midfield pairing of Spearing and Adam was the worst in the last 30 years of this club.

Agreed

Spearing had it easy and made are midfield much easier to play against every team who played us allowed spearing time on the ball because they knew he was shit with the ball and wasnt a threat which in turn allowed the other teams to crowd are decent players

No disrespect intended towards Spearing but he's never going to hold down a first team place. FSG should sell him then use the money to cover the cost of a shit load of free tickets for local kids who never get to go the game? You know instead of these grown men in replica shirts getting tickets.

I think Allen will end up doing what Henderson did for us. People forget how shit Henderson was last year, he was awful to say the least. His best game for us in that season was playing as a makeshift Rb. But if you watch him this year it's like watching a completely different player. The player we thought we were buying turned up this year.

Allen showed more at the start of this season than Henderson showed throughout last year and as long as Rodgers is manager of liverpool, Allen will get chances in this team. Once the shoulder is healed and the confidence returns i think he'll change peoples perceptions of him just like Henderson and Lucas before him. As far as Allen vs Spearing, one has a future with this club the other does not. The club should focus it's time on bringing through Suso and Sterling and stop investing time and energy on also-rans.

I havent and I think he is still poor, most think he is ace and has had a great season. This fucker hasnt even won a place in the first team yet and a few 'promising' displays are not enough for me to hide the fact he is a spineless shithouse who isnt able to play as a DM, inspires little on the wing and as a CM needs accomodating by a destoyer we dont possess so he can play shithouse sideway cowardly 5 yard passes and run around a lot.

He has the face of a good player I'll give him that, he has the talent but its no good if you are a born loser who cries at the sight of a goal with a goalkeeper in front of it.

This fucker hasnt even won a place in the first team yet and a few 'promising' displays are not enough for me to hide the fact he is a spineless shithouse who isnt able to play as a DM, inspires little on the wing and as a CM needs accomodating by a destoyer we dont possess so he can play shithouse sideway cowardly 5 yard passes and run around a lot.

It;s like you haven't watched him this season at all. That's a fairly accurate summation of him last year, mind.

Decent player with a great attitude, but not quite good enough for us. We need better in the team, and we need better potential on the fringes of the team. The spot that Spearing would occupy in our squad should be given to a youngster with more potential. Spearing is now of such an age that we've seen what he's all about. And he is not quite good enough for us. I'd rather Spearing's place in the squad goes to a youngster such as Coady. His peak could be much greater. But if Coady doesn't kick on and stake a claim the same will happen to him. But the time to end it for Spearing at LFC has arrived.

Spearing is a solid citizen who can, and should, carve out a decent career in the game. I see him at a bottom half Prem team. We should sell for 3-4M and move on.

I havent and I think he is still poor, most think he is ace and has had a great season. This fucker hasnt even won a place in the first team yet and a few 'promising' displays are not enough for me to hide the fact he is a spineless shithouse who isnt able to play as a DM, inspires little on the wing and as a CM needs accomodating by a destoyer we dont possess so he can play shithouse sideway cowardly 5 yard passes and run around a lot.

He has the face of a good player I'll give him that, he has the talent but its no good if you are a born loser who cries at the sight of a goal with a goalkeeper in front of it.

Jay Spearing is everything you've just described Henderson as, only without Henderson's talent. I don't even think Spearing has played for England, at any level...even schoolboy level..which is a damning in and of itself. Henderson at the very least is captain of the England under 21's.

30 games 5 goals and 4 assists in the premier league this season, as opposed to Spearing's 0 goals 0 assists for liverpool last year. I actually think if we converted Henderson into a defensive midfielder he'd be miles better than Spearing, even in his favourite position. He's just a better player, in every area.

Spearing is a good championship / premier league relegation fodder player, Henderson has the potential to be a top 4 player, thats why the club has faith in him.

Decent Premiership standard and he could get better with experience but he's currently not good enough for a squad with aspirations of competing at CL level. He could do a good job at the likes of Fulham, Newcastle or West Ham.

Jay Spearing is everything you've just described Henderson as, only without Henderson's talent. I don't even think Spearing has played for England, at any level...even schoolboy level..which is a damning in and of itself. Henderson at the very least is captain of the England under 21's.

30 games 5 goals and 4 assists in the premier league this season, as opposed to Spearing's 0 goals 0 assists for liverpool last year. I actually think if we converted Henderson into a defensive midfielder he'd be miles better than Spearing, even in his favourite position. He's just a better player, in every area.

Spearing is a good championship / premier league relegation fodder player, Henderson has the potential to be a top 4 player, thats why the club has faith in him.

He cant and dont like to tackle which might undermine him a bit as a DM, running next to people with the ball without putting a foot in doesnt really work if you play DM.

Spearing's just been voted Bolton's player of the year and Gerrard didnt really get a look in at England level.

What makes you think, on any single level that Henderson has it in him to be a top 4 player?

He's not even won a place in our team, a team that finished seventh, nor did he look like doing jack shit lthe previous when we were also rather cack, hes 22 mate, by the same age in 2002 Gerrard had 'made fifty starts in all competitions and scored ten goals as he won his first major honours with Liverpool – the FA Cup, League Cup, and the UEFA Cup. In the following season, he would go on to win both the FA Charity Shield and UEFA Super Cup. '

This man has not even nailed down a first team spot. I could see Gerrard was going to be world class in his first sub appearance. Henderson is fucking mediocre.

Not going to compare him with Jay, theres not much between them, one is loyal as fuck and cost nothing and another who was signed by Commolli for £18 million who no one else wanted.

Both arent good enough to grace our first eleven if we want to get anywhere but I'd keep Jay for the squad and get what I could for Jordache and Allen, neither of whom are required.

He cant and dont like to tackle which might undermine him a bit as a DM, running next to people with the ball without putting a foot in doesnt really work if you play DM.

Spearing's just been voted Bolton's player of the year and Gerrard didnt really get a look in at England level.

What makes you think, on any single level that Henderson has it in him to be a top 4 player?

He's not even won a place in our team, a team that finished seventh, nor did he look like doing jack shit lthe previous when we were also rather cack, hes 22 mate, by the same age in 2002 Gerrard had 'made fifty starts in all competitions and scored ten goals as he won his first major honours with Liverpool – the FA Cup, League Cup, and the UEFA Cup. In the following season, he would go on to win both the FA Charity Shield and UEFA Super Cup. '

This man has not even nailed down a first team spot. I could see Gerrard was going to be world class in his first sub appearance. Henderson is fucking mediocre.

Not going to compare him with Jay, theres not much between them, one is loyal as fuck and cost nothing and another who was signed by Commolli for £18 million who no one else wanted.

Both arent good enough to grace our first eleven if we want to get anywhere but I'd keep Jay for the squad and get what I could for Jordache and Allen, neither of whom are required.

Lampard at 22 was scoring 5-6 goals a season for West Ham, players develop at different stages. All the lad can do is keep impressing when he does play and he'll get more games. The question should be what cant Henderson do? he's got pace, he can pass, he can score and he's got a great engine, he's perfect for the box to box midfielder role and will only get better.

Apparently he's a consummate professional, i remember reading an article about him saying he doesn't drink, smoke and his diet is very good. I can imagine Spearing in the 051 chin grinding, gurning at passers by because he's off his 'ead on coke.

Agree about Lampard but he was always rated highly, time will tell but I dont see that same determination in him he always showed for the ball, wasnt afraid to shoot or do things that Hendo winces at.

Hendo can do it all dont get me wrong Ive never questioned his talent but we dont have the technology to exhume shanks balls and staple them to his undercarriage.