You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

BG are trialing a new plumber service and offering a discount for the next month. As its a trial not all areas are covered but you can check on the website here:

www.mylocalheroes.com.

Where you can get 50% off before 14/3/2016 or 25% after this until 30/4/16, if you quote my name and payroll number to the engineer. PM me if you want my payroll number. Mook can vouch I'm not a serial killer after your addresses. Well his skin can, I'm wearing it now!

I don't get anything out of it before you commies start moaning.

Might well take you up on that mate, think I need the clock/timer on the boiler replacing.

It works fine on constant and will turn off okay too.

But will never come on with the timer.

• 1 month later...

For all those of you who have been involved in a big fixxy uppy project how many of you have ever achieved that Champagne moment so beloved of the makeover shows at the end? How many ever get to 'well, thats it finished' ?

We spent years talking about 'when we do the kitchen' and were so excited about finally being able to do the work we wanted but now as we near the end of the work, which has taken 5 months from start to finish, it looks great, I think, but it all just feels a bit 'meh'

Bet in a few weeks/months, when that horrible jaded feeling and the inconvenience of having people in your house every day while you live in a building site has worn off, you'll get that satisfaction and pleasure in spades, Cath.

It's just delayed when your primary thoughts are inevitably "Thank fuck that's over" and "Never again".

For all those of you who have been involved in a big fixxy uppy project how many of you have ever achieved that Champagne moment so beloved of the makeover shows at the end? How many ever get to 'well, thats it finished' ?

We spent years talking about 'when we do the kitchen' and were so excited about finally being able to do the work we wanted but now as we near the end of the work, which has taken 5 months from start to finish, it looks great, I think, but it all just feels a bit 'meh'

You'll have formed a stockholm syndrome relationship with that battered microwave in the spare room and continue to heat up your Aldi ready meals in it for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1

You'll have formed a stockholm syndrome relationship with that battered microwave in the spare room and continue to heat up your Aldi ready meals in it for the next 3 years.

You mistake me for a ready meals woman

• 3 months later...

Anybody got any advice on burglar alarms? We keep getting visits from ADT trying to sell us a system & I could do with one for them & a separate one for burglars.

In all honesty, the house is up the road from a notorious as fuck housing estate & there do seem to be a lot of burglaries, I'm thinking one that just has an alarm rather than one that links to the Police & we have to pay a monthly maintenance fee on...

Anybody got any advice on burglar alarms? We keep getting visits from ADT trying to sell us a system & I could do with one for them & a separate one for burglars.

In all honesty, the house is up the road from a notorious as fuck housing estate & there do seem to be a lot of burglaries, I'm thinking one that just has an alarm rather than one that links to the Police & we have to pay a monthly maintenance fee on...

An alarm won't stop you getting burgled but given a choice a burglar will chose your neighbour's if they've not got one. Might bring your insurance down a bit too.

• Upvote 1

Msgd u, hun

• Upvote 1

In all honesty, the house is up the road from a notorious as fuck housing estate & there do seem to be a lot of burglaries, I'm thinking one that just has an alarm rather than one that links to the Police & we have to pay a monthly maintenance fee on...

The ADT alarms dont connect to the police they send you a text message which says your alarm is going off.

I was at one point one of those people flogging them alarms snd they spoke a load of bollocks bigging the system up.

They claimed the sensors used thermal imaging which meant it could use the size of the heat profile to determine whether it was a pet like a cat or dog or a human and it would only go off if it was a human. All it was was a pet pan which meant the passive infra red didnt monitor the floor.

The sensors also need replacing once the battery runs down as you arent able to replace the battery.

The outside box is a dummy box and the actual alarm is in the control panel inside the house. They sell it as if you are in bed and the alarm goes off it will scare the burglar and they will leave the house and if it goes off by accident it wont bother the neighbours. The problem with it being in the house means that any burglar can rip it off the wall and smash it to fuck to shut it up and then carry on robbing the house.

The bottom line is with ADT domestic set ups is they are cheap as fuck but they make out they are selling you a top notch state of the art system.

Those people who sell them arent allowed to sell to comercial premises either they can only sell to residential properties because although it says ADT on the bell box it is because thry have paid ADT to use the brand name.

People see ADT and think great but you would be better of using a reputable local company to fit an alarm as the local burglars will know you have a good alarm system installed.

Also stay away from the DIY ones you get from B&Q but at the end of the day having something is better than nothing.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

New boiler time! Ours was practically condemned by British Gas last night so need a new one and I know the quote I'll get from them will be like a second mortgage.

Anyone had one installed from a decently priced plumbing company?

Let me check if we've got a friends and family deal on at the moment. It'll still be dear but could save you a few quid.

• Upvote 2

You'd better hurry up, I've just been put on consultation.

Shit news that Rico. About the job, not the discount. Do I just quote that I could get friends and family discount to the fella tomorrow when he comes round?

And if asks me how I know you, I'll just say from a website about fetish?