You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've got to be honest, i'm getting a bit sick of the over used phrase "it's not the breed, it's the owner" that gets trotted out every time a kid gets mauled or killed by a pit bull or another dangerous breed of dog. It's surely both.

I'm curious to know what people think about this, and what legislation can be brought in to try and prevent further tragedies? I read somewhere that seven people (including five children) have been killed by dogs in houses in the last five years and that the NHS spends upwards of £3 million treating people who have serious "dog attack" injuries per year. Quite amazing, really.

Dogs are animals.

Read into that what you want.

I'm sure there will be hundreds of dog owners/ lovers on this site and perhaps have lived with dogs all their lives with no incidents so there will be arguments but why do people have dogs like this in family homes?

Has anyone asked Stronts?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's a bit of both, the owner and the breed but it's mainly the owner IMO. Weren't two of those dogs the other day Bull Mastiffs? And another two Staffies? I know people who have bred bull Mastiffs and they are normally great dogs as most Mastiffs are.

Let be honest any dog breed is capable of killing or mauling a toddler, but some breeds may be more predisposed to this than others.

I'll bet anything those dogs weren't treated great and brought up properly though. I can see no real reason to have 5 dogs that size in a small house.

My view is simple - if something is physically capable of overpowering and killing you, it shouldn't be a pet. A Rottweiler may as well be a lion. If my cat gave me agita I'd boot it over the fence, if it was a bear however, that'd prove problematic and I would be dead.

• Upvote 1

My view is simple - if something is physically capable of overpowering and killing you, it shouldn't be a pet. A Rottweiler may as well be a lion. If my cat gave me agita I'd boot it over the fence, if it was a bear however, that'd prove problematic and I would be dead.

Drunk father bought 15ft python from a gypsy before it tried to EAT his friend as he slept

fuck that shit

I would not keep as a pet any animal that could do serious damage to me or any other person. I understand they make good guard dogs and intruders would rightly get fucked by such an animal, but the risk to innocents is too great IMO. And having such animals around children is daft.

I've dealt with fair few dangerous dog cases in my time and I've yet to meet a dog that wasn't said to be loving at home and fabulous with the children. None of which has stopped the dog savaging another dog or a person.

Yes, there are usually elements of poor control involved, but I've come to the conclusion that some breeds are innately aggressive and should only be handled by people who are licenced and properly trained, and not available to the general public for ownership.

I've dealt with fair few dangerous dog cases in my time and I've yet to meet a dog that wasn't said to be loving at home and fabulous with the children. None of which has stopped the dog savaging another dog or a person.

Yes, there are usually elements of poor control involved, but I've come to the conclusion that some breeds are innately aggressive and should only be handled by people who are licenced and properly trained, and not available to the general public for ownership.

This.

I always hate the argument that because someone grew up with a pet or owns a pet that somehow it's no longer dangerous. You'd think these animals were higher beings or something with a complex psychology and a moral compass. They're predators who become used to people over time and come to appreciate the fact you provide them with food and shelter. If the circumstances were right (or wrong, as the case may be) any one of them would have your face off.

Well, yes, obviously. But I bet within 10 seconds of being in their house you could ascertain whether it was utter bullshit or not. The smell of heroin and aids would give it away.

I agree with your point about certain breeds. I would go further, and say that every single dog owner should have to go through checks of some description.

I have a Border Collie. Only nine months old, probably doesn't weigh more than three stone. Extremely mild mannered, to the point where I think he's a bit of a quilt. However, I've no doubt that he's capable of swallowing a toddler whole. Had he spent the last six months living with window licking crack heads, he may be inclined to.

I would`nt have a large potentially aggressive dog if i had kids but at the same time i dont think it is just the dog that is the issue.I often seekids just run up to dogs in the street,dont there parents teach them not to do this?.

I was always told to ask the owner if i could stroke the dog as a kid and was taught how to approach dogs,far too many kids either run up behind dogs or bend over them to stroke them.I will be getting a couple of dogs when my work shifts change in the long term,some of the breeds that are often mention here.They will be microchipped,registered and trained properly.I wouldn`t be against a law that said if you buy a certain breed of dog you must have it licensed and that part of that license meant you had to have had the animal trained/pass course etc.

The nastiest dogs i have ever come across was a border collie and a aussie terrier and i worked with hundreds over a few years working in kennels.

Dogs are great when kept properly and a danger when not.I know more people attacked by wankers in the streets at night than attacked by dogs.

The main issue is the increase off arseholes keeping dogs.

Well, yes, obviously. But I bet within 10 seconds of being in their house you could ascertain whether it was utter bullshit or not. The smell of heroin and aids would give it away.

I agree with your point about certain breeds. I would go further, and say that every single dog owner should have to go through checks of some description.

I have a Border Collie. Only nine months old, probably doesn't weigh more than three stone. Extremely mild mannered, to the point where I think he's a bit of a quilt. However, I've no doubt that he's capable of swallowing a toddler whole. Had he spent the last six months living with window licking crack heads, he may be inclined to.

Brilliant post mate.