You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've acquired a ten year old mastiff/German shepherd cross. Biggest shit-house ever, I once thought it's ok when she's called upon and someone unwelcome comes into the house she'll bite their hand off - not her, the further into the house/garden a stranger comes the further up the stairs/behind the fence she legs it. Nasty loud bark on her, mind. Up until recently she was raised on farm land which has a down side, I'm gutted she's not taken to eating the neighbours cats.

I'd trust this dog with my kids more than i'd trust members of my family.

It's not just the 'normal' temperament of a dog... we as humans all have off days, and if provoked a particular way, we might even snap, big time...

And it's the same with an animal. Only it's not always obvious they are in a bad mood, or something is provoking them, and you'll never know precisely what will set them off until it happens.

If you place a child (or even an adult) in a situation where you couldn't stop an animal attacking IF you just happen to be wrong about your 'I'd trust it' faith, then that's a hell of risk to take.

In many ways, it's like leaving the batteries out of a smoke alarm. Many do it, and the odds are massively in your favour... but the day someone gets hurt as a result, you'll change your mind about things.... sadly, all a bit too late by then

• Upvote 1

Two dogs attacked our family's dog at the beach yesterday, I wasn't there my brother was with her. They were some mastiff breed apparently and ours is a blue heeler cross with a kelpie who is not a fighter in the least.

My bro had to pull the other dogs off her and she has a few puncture wounds.

The other dogs had leashes in but were just allowed to run off and the owner was just like oh sorry and left.

I was so pissed when I heard this, I've got more of a fiery temper than my brother and I would have booted those fucking dogs in the ribs then blasted the owner.

It's just another case of dickheads who aren't responsible, you're on a public beach and your dogs are fuck heads yet they let them off the lead? Fucking people.

Two dogs attacked our family's dog at the beach yesterday, I wasn't there my brother was with her. They were some mastiff breed apparently and ours is a blue heeler cross with a kelpie who is not a fighter in the least.

The other dogs had leashes in but were just allowed to run off and the owner was just like oh sorry and left.

I was so pissed when I heard this, I've got more of a fiery temper than my brother and I would have booted those fucking dogs in the ribs then blasted the owner.

It's just another case of dickheads who aren't responsible, you're on a public beach and your dogs are fuck heads yet they let them off the lead? Fucking people.

Planting subliminal messages for Stronts is well out of order mate.

I witnessed some sort of agressive, thick necked, unmuzzled cunt of a dog try and go for my son when he was two. Matthew got absolutely hysterical, and rightly so. I booted the dog and threatened the owner. Whilst i'm not hugely proud of my actions, i defend my right to volley the fuck out of anybodys dog that comes near my child in aggressive manner.

• Upvote 1

Too right Longo. There's a guy who lives near me who used to let his dog run free when they get back to our street, we've spotted him laughing as he watches his dog set off after the local cats. My cat's pretty elderly now and I've mentioned a few times that if his dog chases my cat into our yard his dog won't make it back out. It'd catch a boot to the face for that no problem, and that's just for a cat. If it was a kid the owner would be guaranteed a boot as well. He uses a lead now.

I don't put a lot of stock in the genetics argument. Dogs are genetically predisposed to be social animals and the reason they can be tamed is that they accept humans as part of their social hierarchy. If you treat a dog with love and kindness it will be a soppy twat. If it grows up in an environment where it is kicked and shouted at, it will take its vengeance when it sees the chance. The kind of people that generally want a pit bull or a breed like that are usually first grade cunts, so it's not surprising their animals reflect that.

I often seekids just run up to dogs in the street,dont there parents teach them not to do this?.

I was always told to ask the owner if i could stroke the dog as a kid and was taught how to approach dogs,far too many kids either run up behind dogs or bend over them to stroke them.

Amen. Kids don't understand the subtle body language signals given off by dogs. A dog that is uncomfortable will display a whole range of signals from the almost undetectable to the obvious bite. All are signals, or warnings if you will. Most adults miss these signs yet we have people allowing their children to run up to strange dogs? Madness.

I've seen thousands of dog types in my line of work and I am definitely of the opinion that whilst it is clearly in the genetics that some dogs will have certain characteristics, the real clincher is how dogs are raised. I've seen dogs that have been as good as gold and all it took was one incident to bring out the demons that lurk deep within the dog, a product of its past, that lead to serious injury.

Dogs are complex emotional animals that have 15,000 years of domestication under their belts, I often think they know us far better than we know them. They see the world very differently to us due to their physiology - eyesight geared up for movement ahead of detail, for example. It's us that needs to be educated about the animals that we keep instead of us simply slinging the mud at the animals when something doesn't go as planned.

I don't put a lot of stock in the genetics argument. Dogs are genetically predisposed to be social animals and the reason they can be tamed is that they accept humans as part of their social hierarchy. If you treat a dog with love and kindness it will be a soppy twat. If it grows up in an environment where it is kicked and shouted at, it will take its vengeance when it sees the chance. The kind of people that generally want a pit bull or a breed like that are usually first grade cunts, so it's not surprising their animals reflect that.

Good post. Spot on too.

Dogs are complex emotional animals that have 15,000 years of domestication under their belts, I often think they know us far better than we know them. They see the world very differently to us due to their physiology - eyesight geared up for movement ahead of detail, for example. It's us that needs to be educated about the animals that we keep instead of us simply slinging the mud at the animals when something doesn't go as planned.

Thats a great point.

I have seen a increase in Sled dogs on the streets and the amount of times you see them and Terriers(all types) of the lead amazes me.

Both dogs types are very likely to attack any small animal that runs across its eyeline.Any quick movement be it a squirrel,cat or small dogs that run across there eyeline are very likely to be in danger.

In general not enough people know how to train there dogs and its a issue.

Id be all for a license system put in place for the keeping of certain dogs inc staffs and Rotties.The license shouldn`t just be for the dog but for you,once you have shown you can keep your dog and trained it properly you should be able to request a full license so you dont need to go through the hassle everytime you get a new dog,this would be very important for people who adopts older dogs.

Again though Zig, I find this is just the default argument of people who own big dogs and think that because they're nice to them that they should be nice to everyone else. You're assuming that a dog is a complex creature and it's not, it's basically a set of teeth and a bunch of primal needs. If you fulfill its needs - i.e provide it with food, water and shelter - it'll like you for it, but its capable of flipping at any time.

I grew up with my nan's dog, we had her since she was six and she died when she was about 18, I remember once when she was getting older and she'd got shit on her fur and traipsed it all over the bed. I started shouting at her to get down and - presumably because she was feeling vulnerable - she started barking at me. She'd never barked at me, ever. If she'd been a big dog I'd have seriously shit myself.

Even people are capable of flipping out from time to time, we've all seen it, so I don't understand why anyone would view a dog any differently, when in fact it's far less capable of reason.

Again though Zig, I find this is just the default argument of people who own big dogs and think that because they're nice to them that they should be nice to everyone else. You're assuming that a dog is a complex creature and it's not, it's basically a set of teeth and a bunch of primal needs. If you fulfill its needs - i.e provide it with food, water and shelter - it'll like you for it, but its capable of flipping at any time.

I grew up with my nan's dog, we had her since she was six and she died when she was about 18, I remember once when she was getting older and she'd got shit on her fur and traipsed it all over the bed. I started shouting at her to get down and - presumably because she was feeling vulnerable - she started barking at me. She'd never barked at me, ever. If she'd been a big dog I'd have seriously shit myself.

Even people are capable of flipping out from time to time, we've all seen it, so I don't understand why anyone would view a dog any differently, when in fact it's far less capable of reason.

Firstly you've begun with an incorrect assumption about me, and then you've simplified and ignored the development of dogs as social animals over millions of years. I can't argue with that, because you've obviously pre-formed your conclusions.

One thing though; you started barking at the dog first, but you probably hadn't established your place in it's hierarchy, so all you were doing is threatening it. It would likely have ran away before trying to bite you if you had escalated that threat though.

But why should the dog obey someone who it doesn't have an established relationship to, especially when that person is threatening them? Dogs know who is in charge because that person eats first and then gives them their food. They are pack animals.

I'm fairly sure if someone you thought had no right to started shouting at you to do something, your response would be similar and yet you wouldn't classify yourself as just a big hairless ape.

Edited by zigackly

Thats a great point.

Id be all for a license system put in place for the keeping of certain dogs inc staffs and Rotties.The license shouldn`t just be for the dog but for you,once you have shown you can keep your dog and trained it properly you should be able to request a full license so you dont need to go through the hassle everytime you get a new dog,this would be very important for people who adopts older dogs.

I just don't see how we will ever be able to police a licence because a lot of these 'dangerous types' are effectively black market dogs. If you look on websites like gumtree or preloved you will see no end of these types of dog, with no info on their history and going for ridiculously low prices.

I agree on that.

Not sure how you could do it unless you had to carry the license with you.Having said that it not like there are loads of police about to check or youd want them stopping everyone with large dog.The other issue are the stupid amount of cross bred dogs these days.

Some really dangerous combinations around,both for the dogs temperament and health.

Im unsure on that myself.

Sadly one of my issues would be that id want my dog to be able to protect itself.

Only good pet owners would take any notice of any rules like that and the ones that would be the Staff/terrier arseholes that try and have aggresive dogs.

Also what dogs get muzzled and which ones dont,it would have to be all or non in my view.A huskey.golden lab can be just as dangerous to kids and smaller dogs as a bullmastiff

How do people feel about muzzling dogs when out of their homes?

Is this an effective deterrent and does it cause the dog any suffering?

Most of the incidents of dogs attacking children don't take place outside the home, and if they do it's usually dogs on the loose, not dogs supervised by their owners. I don't think it would make much difference. The dog obviously won't like the muzzle, but "suffering" might be a stretch.

I think there is an issue when you train dogs to be territorial and then expect them to also be pets. Your dog can be one thing or the other.

I was speaking to someone at a vehicle yard recently about their Alsatian which was a big soppy mess, and he was saying if it showed the slightest sign of territorial aggression it would have to go because they have members of the public in all the time. On the other hand if he wanted a guard dog then it couldn't have been there in the day.

Edited by zigackly

P = GxE,

the genes are part the prob as is the environment, as you have pointed out... like you point out dogs are social creature and have a hierarchy, they also can have a predisposition to aggression, it's genetic... you state you don't put a lot of stock in the genetics argument yet then go on stating a genetics argument... why do you think those first grade cunts want a pit bull? genetics for a fighting, aggressive dog perhaps? then mix it with a bad environment and you will be left with an unstable aggressive muscular dog....

Nurture overcomes nature, otherwise dogs could never be trained. I said I don't put a lot of stock; I didn't dismiss it entirely.