You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

in hindsight what rodgers should have done was keep the likes of agger  not sent out the likes ibe on loan  and brought in 3 or 4 marquee signings  ok we were short on players but the squad needed tweaking not overhauling  

we need stability in the squad not this chop and change each week the problem is he is trying to keep everyone happy and that needs to stop  players  can play more than 1 game a week  something he has forgotten back to basics pick the best 11 players you have and keep them in the squad  only way we will gain any kind of confidence  and get that understanding back that we had last year 

Agger wanted to go back to Denmark and if he couldnt he was going to retire.

It seriously boils my piss that people are talking about Rodgers like last season never happened. Short memories.

• Upvote 1

I get the impression that some people hope that we are entering the end game for Brendan.

i get that feeling as well Tony, i will state now that i don't want him gone, i would like to see him come away from this 433 he is persisting with.

what are your thoughts on Brendan Tony, i know you are a man of few words?

It seriously boils my piss that people are talking about Rodgers like last season never happened. Short memories.

never said last season didnt happen infact i said we need to get back the confidence we had last year  but at the same time i refuse to believe we  were a 1 man team  last year  when suarez was out we played just aswell so i think you have to say  that rodgers has got something fundamentally wrong this season  i think all this chopping and changing isnt helping the situation  

This question would actually get some proper responses if it was asked next April or May.  Right now it's an opportunity for those out of love with Rodgers to stab him in the arse and for those who still believe in Rodgers to rock their righteous indignation stance.

...he said from his high horse.

• Upvote 1

I do not have a clue what the owners expectations and goals they set for Rodgers are. But American owners with a background in hedge-fund tend to be ruthless and not pay people for what they did the previous season. In fact very few places tend to pay people for what they did last year. Although I think there is plenty of time for Rodgers to win games and get us in the top 4. But his shite PR and politics must stop. It is turning a lot of more sane people than me away from him.

As for Agger, he turned down City and Barca in the past. I think his loyalty and commitment to Liverpool can not be questioned. I am pretty cynical but Agger was way more loyal than most. He left as the manager bought two left sided cb for 40 odd million and he was deemed surplus to requirements. After you can make up your own versions to suit what you want to believe.  But it is widely accepted the club touted him around, but he said if I am no longer wanted I will only stay here or play for my boyhood team.

I do not have a clue what the owners expectations and goals they set for Rodgers are. But American owners with a background in hedge-fund tend to be ruthless and not pay people for what they did the previous season. In fact very few places tend to pay people for what they did last year. Although I think there is plenty of time for Rodgers to win games and get us in the top 4. But his shite PR and politics must stop. It is turning a lot  more sane people than me away from him.

As for Agger, he turned down City and Barca in the past. I think his loyalty and commitment to Liverpool can not be questioned. I am pretty cynical but Agger was way more loyal than most. He left as the manager bought two left sided cb for 40 odd million and he was deemed surplus to requirements. After you can make up your own versions to suit what you want to believe.  But it is widely accepted the club touted him around, but he said if I am no longer wanted I will only stay here or play for my boyhood team.

People can always point to a club like west ham signing players who supposedly look good. Doing it once makes it look like a fluke. Doing it over 4 or 5 transfer windows shows whether they are actually onto something.

There's no massive pressure on these players at clubs like west ham or newcastle. They arent expected to be the big club there to be turned over.

Ive got to laugh when players at west ham are held up as better than ours. Can you imagine the apoplexy from some here if we'd have signed one of those players at west ham?

What? Like Song? Behave man. Valencia had a decent world cup too as i recall. PS. They all would have cost less than Lolvren or Markovic.

i get that feeling as well Tony, i will state now that i don't want him gone, i would like to see him come away from this 433 he is persisting with.

what are your thoughts on Brendan Tony, i know you are a man of few words?

I've never watched or listened to a Brendan Rodgers interview and gave that Being: Liverpool business a miss, so I can't really say whether I like or dislike him as a person.

Even if I did listen to his interviews I'd only be going off his public persona. There must be loads that goes on behind the scenes that football fans have no idea about.

I do, however, think he is a good young manager, albeit one who has some obviously flaws, which is probably to be expected given his relative lack of experience.

Having sold Suarez and bought the players we did, I thought he'd have a job on his finish in the top 4, let alone challenge for the title.

As I've said previously, I'd like to see a list of the players, in preferential order, that he wanted and for someone at the club to explain why we ended up getting the likes of Balotelli instead.

That said, I didn't expect us to make as poor a start to the season as we have, but it is only 11 games and we have been with our our main goal threat for much of that time.

My worry is that while Sturridge will obviously make a difference, he won't be able to single handed and we will still be missing all that Suarez gave us last season.

• Upvote 1

Last season's gone, Robbie

I'm not a fan of replacing managers mid season as it rarely works well unless a clearly superior man is available like Klopp so BR should get at least until the end of he season.

However, it's clear that BR has deficiencies he needs to address quickly,,,the defence, the playing 1 up front, the tactical inflexibility, the picking of out of form players etc and that's not mentioning his poor record in the transfer market.

We need to see a rapid improvement in this team. I'd like to see us getting back to pressing and an aggressive attack..we know he can do this but it seems to have vanished.

He can turn it around and he has to or he'll be looking for another job

I'm curious. Let's imagine that he hadn't signed a new deal until 2018, I think it is, but instead was in the last year of his 3 year deal.

Would the people who are so pissed off at the slightest suggestion he might not be the right man be clamoring for him to be given a new contract right now? It's the same question as do you want him sacked at the end of the season if results don't pick up.

Last season we had somebody called Suarez and a shit defence.

Now one of them is missing and all we have is what's left.

Lets remember too that we won nothing other than a European place so in real terms it was a big improvement but still trophyless.

I did suspect we would ultimately miss out as its happened a few times before in my time.

He can turn it around and he has to or he'll be looking for another job

I agree Brendan can turn things.

Our next games are against Palace, Ludogorets, Stoke, Leicester and Sunderland. We are capable of winning all of those league games, but need to take the Ludogorets game very seriously. A hatful of points and CL qualification by beating Basel awaits. It is hardly mission impossible.

Then we have four crunch games, against Basel and Bournemouth in the Cups, and Arsenal and Man U in the PL.

There is no reason why we cannot go into Xmas in the knockout stages of the CL, the semi finals of the LC, and be in touch with the top four. That amounts to his objectives list which, if achieved, will remove all question marks.

But in a doomsday scenario of being out of the LC and Europe and being off the top four pace, firstly recruiting anyone decent in January will be out, secondly FSG would inevitably wonder what their £200m had bought.

I think that Brendan will come good, and hope he does, but this is no time for shiny teeth, but mud on his training boots and trackie bottoms.

• Upvote 4

Agger has stated that he left because of Rodgers, has he not?

James Pearce out of the Echo said otherwise. Pretty sure Agger said he couldnt play at this level anymore because of injuries too. I'll check it out.

never said last season didnt happen infact i said we need to get back the confidence we had last year  but at the same time i refuse to believe we  were a 1 man team  last year  when suarez was out we played just aswell so i think you have to say  that rodgers has got something fundamentally wrong this season  i think all this chopping and changing isnt helping the situation  

The Rodgers stuff wasnt aimed at you, mate. Sorry for any confusion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last season we had somebody called Suarez and a shit defence.

Now one of them is missing and all we have is what's left.

Lets remember too that we won nothing other than a European place so in real terms it was a big improvement but still trophyless.

I did suspect we would ultimately miss out as its happened a few times before in my time.

Who do you think had Suarez playing that well?

Glass half full perspective:

- Even if we played half decent we probably wouldn't match Chelsea this year, apart from them it is possible to catch every other team.

- League Cup quarter finals.

- Win two very winnable games and into the last 16 of the Champions League.

- Surely we can't go on being as shit as we have been, I know that's not very scientific but surely we can't be can we, especially when Sturridge is fit again.

- Sturridge is almost fit.

• Upvote 1

The Dane, who returned to Brondby in a cut-price deal before the transfer deadline, admitted upon leaving the club he was no longer physically capable of meeting the demands of the Premier League.

He contradicted himself here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11112829/Agger-I-left-Liverpool-because-of-Rodgers.html

• Downvote 1

What? Like Song? Behave man. Valencia had a decent world cup too as i recall. PS. They all would have cost less than Lolvren or Markovic.

If song was that certain to be a better than good player, why wasnt arse, spurs or united in for him instead of the might west ham?

The answer is they didnt think he was worth the chance.

as for agger, yes his devotion to the cause cannot be questioned. Yes, he reportedly turned down barca and city. Yes there clearly was a problem between him and rodgers. But guess what, a problem between manager and player is only going to end one way.

Agger said if his body couldnt stand the rigors of the PL so that crossed out him going to any club here. He probably wouldnt have stood the rigors even though they are less of la liga. He said if he left Liverpool, he wanted to go back to Bronby and the danish league where his body could cope with their league.

Agger was a good player but he was no Beckenbauer. He used to break ribs falling on the pitch. Its unfortunate that he was injured so much.

it's a dogs dinner of an interview isn't it?

The article could just as easily be headed " Agger Hails Rodgers' Skills after bowing out"

Whatever charge sheet you want to prepare against Brendan, letting Agger go is not on it.