You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Alonso played for a club that finished 2nd in La Liga one season. Garcia played plenty of times for Barcelona.

Alberto was at Sevilla, loaned out to a lower league club in Barca B, Barca had the chance to sign him for 4m Euros, turned it down, and now he's at us.

No comparison between Alonso, Garcia, Coutinho, who all played at really high level, and Alberto.

The point I was making is they where relatively unknown to most. Just like Hyypia, Arbeloa and Agger who you failed to mention.

Anyway Paul, seeing as these signings are nowhere near good enough in your eyes, even though you've never seen them play in a red shirt. Why don't you tell us all who we Liverpool Football Club, a side that finished 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th in the last 4 seasons, a team without any European Football this coming season, should REALISTICALLY be going after and signing this summer.

The point I was making is they where relatively unknown to most. Just like Hyypia, Arbeloa and Agger who you failed to mention.

Anyway Paul, seeing as these signings are nowhere near good enough in your eyes, even though you've never seen them play in a red shirt. Why don't you tell us all who we Liverpool Football Club, a side that finished 7th, 6th, 8th and 7th in the last 4 seasons, a team without any European Football this coming season, should REALISTICALLY be going after and signing this summer.

Hyypia played for a team that came 2nd in the Dutch league and turned down CL football with them to join us.

I never said they all aren't good enough for us, I've said they don't seem to be the sort of players that will automatically improve the starting 11 given the level they've played at. Mignolet has played in Premier League but Reina is better and I don't think Toure is that great anymore. Skrtel is a better defender.

I'd like players like the Armenian we seem to be after. Done it for a while for a good club and in Europe.

Do you think the sort of signings we have made so far are the best we could realistically make? A free, a Barca B player and someone City let go on a free?

Hyypia played for a team that came 2nd in the Dutch league and turned down CL football with them to join us.

I never said they all aren't good enough for us, I've said they don't seem to be the sort of players that will automatically improve the starting 11 given the level they've played at. Mignolet has played in Premier League but Reina is better and I don't think Toure is that great anymore. Skrtel is a better defender.

I'd like players like the Armenian we seem to be after. Done it for a while for a good club and in Europe.

Do you think the sort of signings we have made so far are the best we could realistically make? A free, a Barca B player and someone City let go on a free?

1) Hyypia was playing in a weak as fuck dutch league. Nobody knew about him.

2) You keep saying they don't look like players who will improve the first 11. But you don't know this, nobody knows if they will or they wont until we've seen them play. The only reason why it bothers you so much is because like most of us you had probably never even heard of Luis Alberto or Iago Aspas until we signed them.

3) We may well sign Micky Ryan and another like him yet but, what you have to remember is we don't have a bottomless pit of money like Chelsea and City that enables us to go out and fill our squad with those types of players. These sorts of players cost 20 million plus and I'm afraid we just don't have that sort of money to spend mate.

4) I simply don't know the answer to the that question about our signings yet. As I haven't seen them play yet and I don't know how much we have to spend.

1) Hyypia was playing in a weak as fuck dutch league. Nobody knew about him.

2) You keep saying they don't look like players who will improve the first 11. But you don't know this, nobody knows if they will or they wont until we've seen them play. The only reason why it bothers you so much is because like most of us you had probably never even heard of Luis Alberto or Iago Aspas until we signed them.

3) We may well sign Micky Ryan and another like him yet but, what you have to remember is we don't have a bottomless pit of money like Chelsea and City that enables us to go out and fill our squad with those types of players. These sorts of players cost 20 million plus and I'm afraid we just don't have that sort of money to spend mate.

4) I simply don't know the answer to the that question about our signings yet. As I haven't seen them play yet and I don't know how much we have to spend.

OK.

i dont think we have moved to improve the first choice 11, yet. I think that comes with Mkhtaryan, err, and another CB. And quite possibly someone else should Luis leave. And hopefully we have interest in Wanyama too. Cant say ive seen much of him, but Aspas does seem like a clever signing, i wouldnt be surprised if he turned out to be the signing of the season in terms of what we paid for him.

Yeah absolutely no one knew about him, apart from anyone who watches international football.

Defintely on the same level as Luis Alberto

Well o.k maybe not anybody but, when it comes to the Liverpool fanbase, the large majority knew nothing about him at all.

i dont think we have moved to improve the first choice 11, yet. I think that comes with Mkhtaryan, err, and another CB. And quite possibly someone else should Luis leave. And hopefully we have interest in Wanyama too. Cant say ive seen much of him, but Aspas does seem like a clever signing, i wouldnt be surprised if he turned out to be the signing of the season in terms of what we paid for him.

I'm quietly optimistic about Aspas. 12 goals in La Liga for a team that was very near to being relegated is a decent return.

I knew little about Hyypia, Alonso, Garcia, Coutinho, Nunez, Josemi and a bunch others before they were mentioned as transfer targets for us. Some turned out to be good while others stank the place out.

Now our scouting department and managment have identified the players they think will improve the team, knowing that the target is top 4. Some of those players have signed already.

How anyone can conclude already that players like Alberto and Aspas won't improve the team nearly without having seen them play is beyond my logic.

I knew little about Hyypia, Alonso, Garcia, Coutinho, Nunez, Josemi and a bunch others before they were mentioned as transfer targets for us. Some turned out to be good while others stank the place out.

Now our scouting department and managment have identified the players they think will improve the team, knowing that the target is top 4. Some of those players have signed already.

How anyone can conclude already that players like Alberto and Aspas won't improve the team nearly without having seen them play is beyond my logic.

Exactly.

First of all we need a lot of money to buy players of that standard, secondly we are not in europe, top established players want to play in europe. This is were we are at, We could throw a lot of money at clubs and pay the players silly money, ohh we did that already we did that get us? It's not going to happen overnight unless you are man city and chelsea.

I'm quietly optimistic about Aspas. 12 goals in La Liga for a team that was very near to being relegated is a decent return.

So basically it's only the Luis Alberto transfer that bothers you then? A player that's been bought in to replace Jonjo Shelvey.

My positivity comes from the squad clearly being improved, and most of all the pursuit of the Armenian. Hopefully if we can't get him in we've other similar 'marquee' players lined up. There's at least 20 million to be spent and we're not going to be shy of putting down on one player.

Obviously we need another centre back too but this is probably being put on hold till Skrtel or Coates sale. Cover for Enrique would be nice but Rome wasn't built in a day. We can't solve everything in one window.

The lack of any solid defensive midfielder links is my only gripe. One injury or failure to return to form for Lucas would jeopardise what could be a very promising season.

Things just look a lot better then have the last three summers.

So basically it's only the Luis Alberto transfer that bothers you then? A player that's been bought in to replace Jonjo Shelvey.

None of them really bother me apart from Alberto being overpriced and I think Mignolet is a pointless signing when we can keep Reina.

I asked why is everyone so optimistic about players that haven't done much.

Yeah, and he was voted in the la liga team of the season, on the bench mind, failing to displace Falcao, Messi and Ronaldo. Celtas fans seem to love him too. So i think theres reason to be optimistic about him.

My positivity comes from the squad clearly being improved, and most of all the pursuit of the Armenian. Hopefully if we can't get him in we've other similar 'marquee' players lined up. There's at least 20 million to be spent and we're not going to be shy of putting down on one player.

Obviously we need another centre back too but this is probably being put on hold till Skrtel or Coates sale. Cover for Enrique would be nice but Rome wasn't built in a day. We can't solve everything in one window.

The lack of any solid defensive midfielder links is my only gripe. One injury or failure to return to form for Lucas would jeopardise what could be a very promising season.

Things just look a lot better then have the last three summers.

Why is it clear? Have you seen much of Alberto? Do you really rate Toure highly?

Why is it clear? Have you seen much of Alberto? Do you really rate Toure highly?

Well we've only really had Shelvey and Carra leave and the latter was forced. We've brought four in so squad improvement makes some sort of sense.

I don't expect Alberto to be making much of an impact next season tbh.

None of them really bother me apart from Alberto being overpriced and I think Mignolet is a pointless signing when we can keep Reina.

I asked why is everyone so optimistic about players that haven't done much.

1) Alberto may or may not be over-priced. Only time will tell.

2) Mignolet has been a better keeper in the premier league the last season or so. So I don't see it as a waste of money. He'll either provide good competition for Pepe or he'll be an improvement on current form, should Pepe leave.

3) I'm neither jumping through hoops at our latest signings or writing them off and claiming they wont improve us. I'm trusting in people who know more about football then me and waiting until I see our signings play before passing judgement.

Paul is right. It isn't clear that we've improved. Even if we sign this Mkhitaryan, it still won't be clear. We have to wait until we see the team play, it really is as simple as that.

I agree it isn't clear but, neither is it clear that these signings wont in fact improve our squad either. Which is what Paul was originally saying. That these signings WONT improve our squad. When the fact is nobody knows if they will or they won't until we see them play. So there is no point writing them off until that happens.

I agree it isn't clear but' date=' neither is it clear that these signings wont in fact improve our squad either. Which is what Paul was originally saying. That these signings WONT improve our squad. When the fact is nobody knows if they will or they won't until we see them play. So there is no point writing them off until that happens.[/quote']

Yep I agree with that and it's pretty much what I said earlier. It's a bit boring and cliched but we have to wait and see before we know if this transfer window has been successful or not.

Yep I agree with that and it's pretty much what I said earlier. It's a bit boring and cliched but we have to wait and see before we know if this transfer window has been successful or not.

It has to be success in the term of making the top 4. I think Luis wont go before the new season starts, But he might in the January window. I think if we don't finish in the top four he will be off after this season.

Another one could be Coutinho if he continues with his form. I can see a number of top clubs coming in for him.

This is the reality of what the club has become without champions league football.

I thin,it's obvious that we've improved, even before we kick a ball.

But that's just me, using logic. If you'd rather mope and worry then I don't suppose anything is going to satisfy you at this stage.

I think Alberto will make around 30 appearances next season, minimum. He may even play more than Aspas, dependant on what happens with Suarez.

One thing we need to concentrate on next is to look at players who can help us withstand a physical onslaught. I'm not sure we'll do that this Summer though, but there will continue to be occasions where a cunt just bullies us in the middle and wins everything in the air and shrugs off tackles from Allen and Lucas. Bit disappointed that Diame wasn't part of the Carroll deal.