You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

with you on most of that, but it would still be funny to see them collapse completely.

i still remember getting battered as a team, and me individually, at old toilet the season they got relegated.

unfortunately, they came back.

they were poorer than before, last season, and although they got off to a weak start, they still recovered to finish above us.

i think that the point that i'm trying to make is, that despite some set backs, they have an annoying habit of finishing above us in recent times.

in order for us to reverse this we must get stronger, not them get weaker.

First of all, I think you're wrong. In order for us to finish above them we definitely need them to get weaker. Which I think they already are after replacing Mr. Ferguson with Moyes.

Secondly, I'm not talking about finishing above them. I'm talking about them not hoovering up titles like they have in the last 20 years. I'm pretty confident that will not continue under Moyes, but I guess time will tell.

First of all, I think you're wrong. In order for us to finish above them we definitely need them to get weaker. Which I think they already are after replacing Mr. Ferguson with Moyes.

Secondly, I'm not talking about finishing above them. I'm talking about them not hoovering up titles like they have in the last 20 years. I'm pretty confident that will not continue under Moyes, but I guess time will tell.

i don't think that either of us is going to persuade the other to change our points of view.

i do think that we agree on the possibility of them becoming weaker under ginger, as today's telegraph article tends to suggest.

however -

a trend, (to use the language of gertrude stein),

is a trend, is a trend.

but, the question is -

will it bend?

will it alter it's course through some unforseen force -

and come to a premature end?

i would like to see us "hoovering up" titles, (as we used to), but other than the 2 league games against them, i can't see how we can weaken them.

the only solution is to become stronger than them.

like it, or not, they are the current champions, thereby setting the benchmark.

we have to raise our game.

not too sure how we do that in our curent cicumstances.

anyway, nice to debate this with you, without it descending to levels of personal abuse, (so far?), as sometimes happens with other posters.

ps

are you related to captain thain, or what?

Gutted.The mancs euro dominance is now guaranteed, giggs will be running the euro show! Fucking hell, the same giggs who in 20 years under fergurson won just 2 champions leagues, and one of them because terry hit the post!

Moyes shows weakness again, i bet ancelloti, guadiolla etc are terrified of giggs taking over the mancs euro campaign. It's going to all go tits right up, anyone who doubted if moyes would be out of his depth doubt no more, the mans admitting it himself, every time he opens his mouth.

Gutted.The mancs euro dominance is now guaranteed, giggs will be running the euro show! Fucking hell, the same giggs who in 20 years under fergurson won just 2 champions leagues, and one of them because terry hit the post!

Moyes shows weakness again, i bet ancelloti, guadiolla etc are terrified of giggs taking over the mancs euro campaign. It's going to all go tits right up, anyone who doubted if moyes would be out of his depth doubt no more, the mans admitting it himself, every time he opens his mouth.

I get that he's in over his head, that he doesn't know what he's doing (perfectly highlighted by the journo adding "[qualifiers]" after Moyes' big hard "I've played in the CL" statement) and that he'll have to seek advice. But to publicly come out and say that to the press? The bloke is a fucking clown. I hope there are many more articles like this one to come. I sense an entertaining season ahead.

“For me, the Champions League will be a thrill, but I’m going to have to learn a lot quickly,” Moyes said. “That’s where I’m looking to the likes of Ryan Giggs and a few players around me for the things which I need to be told about.

Sound plan. I wonder what, exactly, he means by "the things which I need to be told about."? Maybe Giggsy will fill him in on the away-goals rule?

“It’s not all about the playing side of it – I’ve been in the Champions League, watched loads of games and managed in the Europa League – everybody has to start somewhere.”

Errrr, ... when was that, exactly?

and yes, I know the article puts "qualifiers" in brackets, but he didn't say that.

“I think the year when Manchester United and Chelsea played in the final, everyone connected to football in this country stuck their chest out.

O_o:sick:

I find it incredible how people are writing them off after 3 pre-season games in Asia.

It was the same back in 2004-2006, they're fucking shit, finished, dross everywhere, etc. They ended up having one of their most successful spells ever.

You'll spare yourself a lot of pain and frustration if you just accept that they'll still be way ahead of us and contend for major trophies in the foreseeable future.

I don't think some people are aware just how ridiculous all this is. David fucking Moyes is expected to compete for the champions league!

The man is a goof. I dunno what would be funnier, them not qualifying and playing in the Europa league or qualifying for the last 16 and getting absolutely rinsed by someone.

You'll spare yourself a lot of pain and frustration if you just accept that they'll still be way ahead of us and contend for major trophies in the foreseeable future.

Do you believe they will be way ahead of us next year?

I can understand why so many fans don't want to tempt fate but seriously they are in decline.

If we keep Suarez or replace him with 2 quality signings I don't see why we cant finish above them, admittedly it would be 1 hell of a points swing in just 1 season.

Gollum the dinosaur!! What was it he said? "It wasnt like this at the shite"!

Robin van Persie's pre-season injury niggle is down to 'dinosaur coaching' methods, says Dutch fitness expert - Telegraph

Van Persie was withdrawn at half-time during United’s friendly in Japan on Tuesday because he had experienced tightness in a thigh.

Moyes said the substitution was pre*cautionary and that he expected the striker to be fine, but the new Manchester United manager was still subjected to stinging criticism from Raymond Verheijen, who has worked with Barcelona, Chelsea and Manchester City among others and has a reputation for being outspoken.

Writing on his Twitter account, Verheijin noted that Moyes had previously said United had ‘overtrained’ Van Persie at the start of pre-season.

He wrote: “In Sydney Moyes said: ‘We’ve overtrained Robin this week to build up his fitness’. [in Japan] he picked up muscle injury. It really makes you wonder how these prehistoric training methods can still take place at the highest level.

"The only way to solve this problem in Jurassic Park is to improve education of these dinosaur coaches, fitness clowns & scientific cowboys.

"All over the world in pre-season you see the pattern ‘overtraining-fatigue-injuries’. Always avoid accumulation of fatigue in pre-season.

"But as long as most dinosaurs are still in denial & ignore how things develop in other countries, nothing will ever change in Jurassic Park. Obviously, players like RVP should learn to protect themselves better against ‘overtraining’ & ‘punishing training’.”

Moyes admits he will be forced to rely on Ryan Giggs to guide him through the early stages of United’s Champions League campaign after admitting he has much to learn about the competition.

Moyes, who suffered a 4-2 aggregate defeat with Everton against Villarreal in the 2005-06 qualifying stages, will experience the Champions League proper for the first time as a manager when United begin their group stage fixtures in September.

Having taken charge of Everton on 26 occasions in Europe, Moyes was unable to go beyond the last 16 of the Uefa Cup or Europa League, but he takes charge of United with the club aiming to build a squad capable of winning the European Cup for a fourth time.

But while conceding that he will go into the Champions League as a relative rookie this season, Moyes believes that player-coach Giggs, who has more than 150 European appearances to his name, will be a crucial sounding board during the group stages.

“For me, the Champions League will be a thrill, but I’m going to have to learn a lot quickly,” Moyes said. “That’s where I’m looking to the likes of Ryan Giggs and a few players around me for the things which I need to be told about.

“It’s not all about the playing side of it – I’ve been in the Champions League [qualifiers], watched loads of games and managed in the Europa League – everybody has to start somewhere.”

With efforts continuing at United to lure Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas to Old Trafford, Moyes, in Osaka ahead of Friday’s friendly in Japan, remains hopeful of adding to the squad he inherited from Sir Alex Ferguson before the start of the season.

But having admitted that he must win a trophy quickly, Moyes is determined to add to the club’s history of success in Europe.

“The history of this club is immersed in Europe and I think to win one of the big European tournaments would always been seen as something special,” Moyes said.

“Winning your own domestic league is very important, but winning the Champions League has become very important, for the country and Premier League as well.

“I think the year when Manchester United and Chelsea played in the final, everyone connected to football in this country stuck their chest out.

“It was the German teams this year, in the past it’s been the Spanish teams. I genuinely think there’s a swell of pride from our country that we want the British teams to do really well.

“But I’ve got to say I’m really looking forward to it and hopefully we can do well this season and I do think it’s a much more open competition than it has been in the past.

“Even from the draw – if you don’t get a particularly good draw it can become a struggle whichever part of the world you’re playing in now.”

Not a snow balls chance in hell of an article like that being printed if demento was still charge, never mind inserting derogatory words into quotes. The old cunt must have destroyed dozens of journalists careers over the years, I'm sure a fair few have made their way back up the ladder and have some serious axes to grind. With Jose being back and fleet street sniffing his arse, I can really see an uncomfortable year ahead for Moyes. Any more retarded comments like the ones above and they may well fast track him into Ashford's psychiatric hospital.

This happened a couple of years ago, they then got rinsed in the Europa League by Bilbao.

Oh yeah. That was fun. I also remember it wasn't too long ago when they didn't qualify for either.

They always seem to have very mixed fortunes in Europe. Seems like they either do really well and reach the final, or do quite shit. Here's hoping for the latter this season.

I find it incredible how people are writing them off after 3 pre-season games in Asia.

It was the same back in 2004-2006' date=' they're fucking shit, finished, dross everywhere, etc. They ended up having one of their most successful spells ever.

You'll spare yourself a lot of pain and frustration if you just accept that they'll still be way ahead of us and contend for major trophies in the foreseeable future.[/quote']

Wise words. I expect there will be a slight decline but they'll be in contention.

Do you believe they will be way ahead of us next year?

I can understand why so many fans don't want to tempt fate but seriously they are in decline.

If we keep Suarez or replace him with 2 quality signings I don't see why we cant finish above them, admittedly it would be 1 hell of a points swing in just 1 season.

Get down the Betting shop and throw a few bob on your prediction I'm sure they'll take your cash off you when they've stopped laughing.

Get down the Betting shop and throw a few bob on your prediction I'm sure they'll take your cash off you when they've stopped laughing.

So do you think we have no chance of top4 this season.

Our club seems to target top 4 as priority, to play Champions league football and then acquire top talent to improve further.

I imagine most fans would predict the top 2 being Man City and Chelsea, we shouldn't fear 3rd spot or think it is out of reach. If we do, can you honestly blame LS for wanting out?

A bit of ambition is nothing to be ashamed of.

So do you think we have no chance of top4 this season.

Our club seems to target top 4 as priority, to play Champions league football and then acquire top talent to improve further.

I imagine most fans would predict the top 2 being Man City and Chelsea, we shouldn't fear 3rd spot or think it is out of reach. If we do, can you honestly blame LS for wanting out?

A bit of ambition is nothing to be ashamed of.

So you think we can overhaul a 28-30 point advantage united had on us last season,so we are going to make up these points next season and united are just gonna fold - take a powder.

Has for 4th we don't have to overhaul united next season to achieve that because they where points ahead of arsenal last season so that's who we aim for but selling our top player won't help that cause.

Here's my bets..

Man utd take em on on the handicap betting. Crash & burn.

Villa, bet to do well on the handicap betting, they've kept benteke and there's always a side which over achieves, I'm betting this year it's them.

Man city, league winners

Qpr, championship winners ( though Leicester are a danger)

Wolves, Div 1 winners

Straight treble on the 3 above.

I agree with City and Wolves, wouldn't touch QPR, so unpredictable.

Villa will be top half, replacing Everton of last year and Newcastle season before, they could get 7th.

We should aim for 3rd, but ridiculous to say at present as Spurs might have £80m, we might have £50m and Arsenal might have Suarez.