You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

brilliant, confirmed pretty much that no-one but the man who won't want his legacy being matched had 100% choice in who is successor was

also found the Giggs and Neville appointments very amusing, Ferguson has worked with Giggs for god knows how many years without feeling the need to make him coach but Moyes decides to having worked with him for 3 days and as for Neville, well if he had played for anyone else prior to Everton is there a chance he'd have brought him with him?

I too find the appointment of Giggs and Neville amusing. If they wanted to appoint an arselicking moron with the IQ of 5 they could have brought Bryan Robson back. Well at least he's got coaching experience, he's also got the experience of relegating clubs, and has won the same amount as Moyes. These two are less imposing than Mike ''The nodding dog'' Phelan.

I also find it amusing that Moyes has fucked up well before he's started. I'm not being biased or anything. I don't rate David Moyes, in my opinion he's a cross between Mark Hughes, Harry Redknapp and Steve Bruce. In other words, Manchester United have appointed mediocrity.

Guest San Don

I still cant believe that bog eyed tit is now manager of manchester united and taking the training sessions. Un fucking believable.

Well thats because we're shit and have been for a while. Moyes' appointment still baffles me and his subsequent decisions should worry their fans. He has got rid of a winning staff and replaced them with his Everton team who havent the experience of managing and coaching to the expectations their side has. nobody is saying they will combust overnight but he doesnt seem lkke the best idea. He will finish top4 but they wont be as strong as they were unless they spend a bit of cash.

The point of his tsams being hard tk beat... is that what utd want? Or will they want attacking football? A lot of this depends on howhe handles the pressure really. A run of bad results will make those fans already unsure of him turn quickly. He has a tough job there.

Well thats because we're shit and have been for a while. Moyes' appointment still baffles me and his subsequent decisions should worry their fans. He has got rid of a winning staff and replaced them with his Everton team who havent the experience of managing and coaching to the expectations their side has.

He needed to bring his own people in.

But, it was a strange appointment and I can't believe Moyes was told by Ferguson at Ferguson's house! That guy had a fuckload of power at Man Utd, right down to anointing his successor. They'll surely pay for that in the short term.

Guest San Don

What will be interesting is how the opposition managers fare up to manchester now gollum's in charge.

With ferguson, all but the top 5 or 6 managers went to their gaffe to take them on instead of putting the reserves out like mccarthy. I know a sound lad who's a manc seassie ticket holder and he told me Liverpool are one of the few teams who'll go toe to toe with them (despite what ferguson may have said in the past) and that teams like stoke, west ham and west brom etc gave up before they took to the pitch.

Now gollum's there, will that class of manager see a a bit of room to maybe not go for the win but offer more of a fight to get a point?

I fully expect manchester to win most of their first 10 games. Teams with new managers tend to do well and they are a bit of a juggernaut so wont crash all of a suddent. But, if they start dropping points at home, it will be interesting to see what visiting teams do as well as gollum.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
snigger all you want he'll finish higher than us

If he does, and I expect he will, it won't be because of his managerial brilliance, it'll be because of the team he inherited. However, they're not judged - as we weren't when we were at the peak of our powers - by finishing above one or two of their rivals, they're judged on whether they finish top or fail by finishing second.

I expect he'll do a decent job there.

Maybe. Either that or he'll be their Souness. One thing is for sure, the only way is down for him after last season.

His teams have always been hard to beat and now he'll have the benefit of several world class match winners.

Sorry, but his teams have not always been hard to beat at all. If you go through his time at Everton, you'll see that his team loses shit loads of games. Even last season they lost 12, and the season they finished 4th they lost 13. Go back from there and they're losing up to 17 games per season. In fact, the fewest losses Everton ever had under him is when they lost 9. They lost 16 in 2006 and have hovered around the 10-13 loss mark since then. Everton were scrappers, but hard to beat? Not really. Certainly not always.

Everton were scrappers, but hard to beat? Not really. Certainly not always.

His won lost record speaks more to the teams lack of quality, by "hard to beat" I am referring to his style of setting his team up. Most teams hated playing at Goodison, just ask Mancini and Ferguson, I don't recall Everton getting overrun very often or losing by great margins, hard to beat doesn't mean unbeatable, it means even when you win you know you've been in a fight. With greater resources and more quality you will see an improvement in his team's defensive performance, add to that the one element that always eluded him at Everton (proven match winners) and he will be successful at Manchester. Whether it is successful enough to keep his job remains to be seen but he won't be the disaster many are predicting.

Shit new manager whos playing style is totally outdated, sponsorship deal with Russian airline. The plane crash omens are too obvious.

I hope that's not a dig at what i think it is, and if it is, it's a completely cunty thing to say.

Why would Ferguson hate to play at Goodison? It was 3 points guaranteed, more or less. I wonder what Everton's win percentage under Moyes against Man U was.

I'd guess it's dismal.

Moyes against the mancs.

Goodison: 3 wins 2 draws 7 losses 15-21 goal difference

Old Trafford: 0 wins 4 draws 8 losses 8-23 goal difference

What will be interesting is how the opposition managers fare up to manchester now gollum's in charge.

With ferguson, all but the top 5 or 6 managers went to their gaffe to take them on instead of putting the reserves out like mccarthy. I know a sound lad who's a manc seassie ticket holder and he told me Liverpool are one of the few teams who'll go toe to toe with them (despite what ferguson may have said in the past) and that teams like stoke, west ham and west brom etc gave up before they took to the pitch.

Now gollum's there, will that class of manager see a a bit of room to maybe not go for the win but offer more of a fight to get a point?

I fully expect manchester to win most of their first 10 games. Teams with new managers tend to do well and they are a bit of a juggernaut so wont crash all of a sudden. But, if they start dropping points at home, it will be interesting to see what visiting teams do as well as gollum.

Good points, well made.

Short term it will be more of the same from Man U. However when things start to go wrong, as they will, how he deals with it will be the big test.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
His won lost record speaks more to the teams lack of quality, by "hard to beat" I am referring to his style of setting his team up. Most teams hated playing at Goodison, just ask Mancini and Ferguson, I don't recall Everton getting overrun very often or losing by great margins, hard to beat doesn't mean unbeatable, it means even when you win you know you've been in a fight. With greater resources and more quality you will see an improvement in his team's defensive performance, add to that the one element that always eluded him at Everton (proven match winners) and he will be successful at Manchester. Whether it is successful enough to keep his job remains to be seen but he won't be the disaster many are predicting.

If he does that at United - makes them hard to beat - in the same way he did at Everton, fans will fucking despise him. Getting men behind the ball, kicking and elbowing opposition players, and going long isn't going to cut it at United. His teams probably aren't nice to play against, but hard-to-beat is something different. Well, it's being hard to beat, which a lot of teams did. Even when they finish high in the table.

Thiago signs for Bayern, which is nice.

excellent news, most top players Scum are linked with is paper bollocks in order to make things look all rosey in the garden hence Ronaldo being linked at the moment when they haven't got a hope in hell of getting him, but I did genuinely think this one was going to happen and they might have a really good midfielder for the first time in years

If he does that at United - makes them hard to beat - in the same way he did at Everton, fans will fucking despise him. Getting men behind the ball, kicking and elbowing opposition players, and going long isn't going to cut it at United. His teams probably aren't nice to play against, but hard-to-beat is something different. Well, it's being hard to beat, which a lot of teams did. Even when they finish high in the table.

It was good enough for Fergie whenever he came up against a side with more firepower in a big game (e.g. the worst game ever, FA Cup 96).

Man U already are hard to beat.

Few managers have the luxury of playing with style, the Manc coffers offer that luxury to Moyes, I suspect he will understand what the box office requires. Whether he can deliver remains to be seen.

Thiago signs for Bayern, which is nice.

And according to Ballague, Moyes "wasn't convinced" that he would fit in there.

Which is probably nicer, if true, given what it says about his eye for talent. I'd far rather face United with the likes of Cleverly and Fellaini in the middle than with someone really good like Thiago.

Which is probably nicer, if true, given what it says about his eye for talent. I'd far rather face United with the likes of Cleverly and Fellaini in the middle than with someone really good like Thiago.

Scum have been piss poor in centre mid for years, Carrick being the only good one but even he isn't at the top level

Anderson, Fletcher, Gibson, Jones, Cleverley etc all as average as they come and then Giggs and Scholes obviously have a fair bit of class and experience about them but couldn't run a game week in week out for a good few years now, if they actually got someone like Thiago in and maintained the threat they possess from the wings and up front they could be a hell of a lot stronger

thank the lord for Moyes who will probably try coax Lee Carsley out of retirement instead

Hopefully this is the new "failed medical"