You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Observing acts of gross stupidity

Just got back from a few days in Berlin where I saw a fellow tourist do possibly the most stupid thing I'd ever seen.

On a main strip a small crowd had gathered round a guy kneeling on the floor doing a version of the "three cups and a ball" game. He had 3 little boxes and a white ball and was doing the classic "guess which one it is, make a bet and I'll match it" by doing his mixing and letting people pick their own box and bet however much they wanted on it.

Obviously he had a couple of stooges in the crowd, a woman and a man kept betting and winning €50 at a time and making a huge fuss over it, the guy doing the trick looked gutted. I stood watching for a while to see how it panned out and a couple of times the fella did his mixing so shitly and clearly showed me which box it was under and then gestured for me to bet but there was no way I was getting involved.

After a few minutes one of the crowd members bounced over and put his foot on one of the boxes so the fella couldn't move it again and got his wallet out and bet at least €500 that the ball was under his foot, clearly he'd seen it and thought "here's some easy money"

Now I don't claim to be "Joe Streetwise" but even I could see what was coming. This has to be the oldest trick in the book.

Obviously when the box was turned over there was nothing under it. The guy who made the big bet was flummoxed as to why it his eyes deceived him and by the time he realised he'd been conned the fella running the scam had vanished along with the stooges who helped him create an illusion leaving me to be laughing to myself over what a complete idiot this fella was.

Anyone else seen an act of such idiocy at home or abroad?

A lad I know has decided to dabble with steroids. Now we normally enjoy his stupidity and find it all very amusing, but we have had to explain to him the stupidity of what he is doing.

The lad administering the jabs for him doesn't seem to know what he is doing, he isn't a 100% sure what it is he is taking, he is experiencing pain around the jab site, he isn't training particularly hard nor he is eating right. It is only going to end in tears.

A lad I know has decided to dabble with steroids. Now we normally enjoy his stupidity and find it all very amusing, but we have had to explain to him the stupidity of what he is doing.

The lad administering the jabs for him doesn't seem to know what he is doing, he isn't a 100% sure what it is he is taking, he is experiencing pain around the jab site, he isn't training particularly hard nor he is eating right. It is only going to end in tears.

Good lords above... He sounds like a winner.

Sounds like a prime candidate for The Darwin Awards

You're mates with robbief?