You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Just now, TD_LFC said:

I think any league where a treble is expected or seen as the norm is probably fair game.

I wouldn't put Spain in their, France probably should be but it's only PSG''s incompetence that prevents it from being a fully signed up farmers league.

I wouldn't call any top division in any Football country a 'farmer's league'. Just seems like a really ignorant thing to say.

Scottish Football doesn't stand much of a chance with all the money in England & the Old Firm hoovering up support with the sectarian pish that goes on, yet I believe attendance is higher per head of population than in England, or it was a few years back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Is every league which isn't pumped up with TV money a 'farmer's league' now?

I find that phrase very ignorant tbh, seen someone applying it to the Spanish league on here recently too.

I see that “farmer’s League” bollocks on Twitter all the time. Winds me something rotten. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Penny for your thoughts @Bjornebye

Surprised he was even in the running but I've warmed to it because despite the man, he's a very good manager and has proven that. Another treble in the bag instead of taking a risk. If he wins the next Old Firm who gives a fuck. 

6 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Massive backwards step that. What’s to be gained from managing the best team in a farmers league, will they even pay as well as a top tier championship club? Should have went to Palace or stuck around for a premier league club after the first round of sackings.

Glasgow Celtic (as are the other lot) are bigger than most teams in the PL and the only reason people say different is because of the Premier League. If both came down to the PL you'd see how big they are. 

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

He did a wonderful job last season.

He's an overrated cunt, he jumped from Celtic as quick as he could and despite the cup win died on his arse back in the Premier league.

May he rot in piss!

He was a cunt for leaving when he did, could have made himself a legend at Celtic. Blinded by the lights of the PL but he went and won the FA Cup with Leicester. He didn't have any money to spend did he last summer? The fella was a point away from being an all-time LFC legend so let's not pretend he's a shit manager he isn't.

One egotistical twat? Absolutely. I don't like him. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He was a cunt for leaving when he did, could have made himself a legend at Celtic. Blinded by the lights of the PL but he went and won the FA Cup with Leicester. He didn't have any money to spend did he last summer? The fella was a point away from being an all-time LFC legend so let's not pretend he's a shit manager he isn't.

Have to disagree with you mate, I think he's fucking wank! The only positive about 2013-14 was that it shifted that cunt out of the door quicker!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Have to disagree with you mate, I think he's fucking wank! The only positive about 2013-14 was that it shifted that cunt out of the door quicker!

To be honest the day I agree with you about anything footy related is the day I follow the drowning man into the swamp 

iltcZyM.gif

Never was and never will be good enough for Liverpool Football Club.

Whatever the squad did the season we nearly won the league with him ‘in charge’, we did in spite of him. I always resented the bosses sacking Kenny & not giving him a couple more seasons until Jurgen came in.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

How many of his signings contributed to that title challenge? I'd argue that only Sturridge and Coutinho added to the cause. (He also signed Mignolet, Toure and Sakho, but none were good enough and it was a collective inability to stop conceding goals that cost us).  Everyone else who did well that season were players he'd inherited.

The thing about Leicester is that they had the best squad in the bottom six, so you have to ask why the manager failed to organise and motivate them.

Sorry, but it's nonsense to say a team that almost won the league did so "despite" a manager.  I'm no fan of Rodgers, and agree that he wasn't good enough for us (although there's an argument that there's been plenty of versions of "us" that managers of Rodgers calibre were good enough for) but no team achieves anything without key inputs from their manager.  Whenever a manager is turned on I see this all the time, and it's just not the case.  

• Upvote 5

A few things conveniently ignored about Rodgers and 2013/14 - he man-managed Suarez well. Also, we coped well without Suarez during his long suspension at the start of that season. We got off to a brilliant start without our best player. We were far from a one-man team and we were phenomenal to watch. He has to get some credit for that. 

For me, the difference between Rodgers and top level managers is an inability or slowness to change tactics when they were no longer working or when they've been found out. We were far too easy to play against by the very end under him. 

He and Celtic need to make some progress in Europe this season, but they'll still struggle to do so. They'll run away with the domestic stuff again though. 

• Upvote 4

I'm sure the Celtic fans will welcome him back with a new song

I hope you die in your sleep, Brendan Rodgers, hope you die in your sleep I pray, hope you die, hope you die, Brendan Rodgers, from a bullet from the IRA

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

A few things conveniently ignored about Rodgers and 2013/14 - he man-managed Suarez well. Also, we coped well without Suarez during his long suspension at the start of that season. We got off to a brilliant start without our best player. We were far from a one-man team and we were phenomenal to watch. He has to get some credit for that. 

For me, the difference between Rodgers and top level managers is an inability or slowness to change tactics when they were no longer working or when they've been found out. We were far too easy to play against by the very end under him. 

He and Celtic need to make some progress in Europe this season, but they'll still struggle to do so. They'll run away with the domestic stuff again though. 

Suarez was missing for the first four games: three 1-0 wins and a draw. Rodgers sent Suarez to train with the kids for a while at the end of Summer: I'm not sure that counts as particularly great man-management. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Suarez was missing for the first four games: three 1-0 wins and a draw. Rodgers sent Suarez to train with the kids for a while at the end of Summer: I'm not sure that counts as particularly great man-management. 

He was actually out for a fifth game, I think, but we lost to Southampton.

I just find the whole 'one man team' thing from that season a bit nauseating. Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge were fantastic for long spells too. 

On the man-management thing, Suarez could regularly be a complete prick himself, so I don't think there was any harm in giving him a bit back. Was he trying to leave the club at the time, like he was every single summer with us? Whatever it was, the treatment didn't harm his performances afterwards. 

Anyway, it was the closest we came to a league title in 24 years. Suarez was immense and other players weren't far off him, but I find the constant suggestions on here and elsewhere that it all happened in spite of Rodgers a bit odd. 

• Upvote 1