You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Might invest in them I was freezing this morning on my way in. Or just long sleeves of which I own practically zero as I'm always warm under normal circumstances.

Any tips on kinds of gloves to get? Think I'll need them shortly

Well, in responding to your request I've discovered that I dont know where my winters gloves are. Brilliant. But probably better to hunt them down rather than when I really need them.

Anyway, tips. I always wear gloves when I'm on my bike. For comfort, really. I've got a lightweight Endura pair with padded palms, about £20, and for winter a chunky waterproof pair with gathered wrists, Endura again, and about £35.

• Upvote 1

Cheers champ. My hands were Baltic when I got to work do think I'll require some soon. I'll look into decent ones as I've learnt quickly that when it comes to biking 'buy cheap buy twice'

On that vein I notice Aldi have a cycling event on this week. Anyone had any experience with their biking clobber/equipment? I've bought a waterproof from their and even a pair of trainees which have been boss but never had cause for cycling stuff

Cheers champ. My hands were Baltic when I got to work do think I'll require some soon. I'll look into decent ones as I've learnt quickly that when it comes to biking 'buy cheap buy twice'On that vein I notice Aldi have a cycling event on this week. Anyone had any experience with their biking clobber/equipment? I've bought a waterproof from their and even a pair of trainees which have been boss but never had cause for cycling stuff

Not Aldi but Mr Champ got me 2 pairs of padded undershorts from Lidl (a fiver, if I remember. Dont say he's not good to me) and I like them better than the fancy dan pair I later got from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op

Edit. I see you have discovered how much colder your extremities get on a bike than walking or running. The overshoes are great, not just for keeping the crap off your shoes but also keeping your feet toasty in the cold and wind

Not Aldi but Mr Champ got me 2 pairs of padded undershorts from Lidl (a fiver, if I remember. Dont say he's not good to me) and I like them better than the fancy dan pair I later got from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op

Might take a trip down then. My padded shorts are a Godsend.

My first big cycle (on my folding bike pre breakage) left me with half a numb dick for a week. ImmediAtely bought a gel seat and padded shorts.

Might take a trip down then. My padded shorts are a Godsend.

My first big cycle (on my folding bike pre breakage) left me with half a numb dick for a week. ImmediAtely bought a gel seat and padded shorts.

It amazes me that more isnt made of this, since you lot (men) are quick enough to complain about every other ailment you develop and your dicks being so important to you. Where do you put them, for god's sake?

The photo I posted above I took while I was out cycling with a friend earlier this morning. She's entered an event later in the year and was looking for a training buddy. We've only been out twice so far but each time the weather has been fantastic. Its only a shame I had to get back today and couldnt have gone further

Well, we really have had a good summer. I've been out cycling with my friend every Tuesday since mid July, barring a couple of weeks when she hurt her back, and the worst weather we've had was last week when it was a bit cool. Sadly, the forecast for Sunday, the day of the Cycletta is pants which is a shame but she'll be fine and stands to raise a few hundred pounds for Macmillan. Not bad for giving up a bit of your own time to cycle in some lovely countryside

Bastarding patches will not stick to goddamn innertube. I've sandpapered the surface put a thin layer of glue down let it dry a little applied the patch held it down even put weights on them and the little fucks just pop right off, I'm going to super spin this fucking inner tube into the sun.

they are 6 for 14 quid on wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-narrow-road-inner-tubes-6-pack/

just lash it and stick a new tube on you mingebag.

Edit. I see you have discovered how much colder your extremities get on a bike than walking or running. The overshoes are great, not just for keeping the crap off your shoes but also keeping your feet toasty in the cold and wind

told ya

Dont forget with overshoes to wear the tights over the top, if you tuck them in the water will seep into the shoe.

told ya

Haha! As with the arm warmers, I like to think, even if with misgivings, I am prepared to give things a try and am happy to admit that overshoes are great for keeping your feet warm. Too good sometimes. I was persuaded to wear them on for a ride last week. What a mistake that was. It was far far too warm for them but better to warm than too cold, I suppose

Only did Monday last week due to other commitments and certainly felt it this Monday after a week off. On it again today.

Decided to be a pavement warrior when it comes to big roundabouts from now on. Too many cases of cars simply not seeing me navigate them despite the high vis gear.

Haven't had any really hairy moments yet but only a matter of time

• 4 months later...

Very clever, set.

And I take back everything I just said about the weather improving. Got thoroughly soaked (enough!) out there this morning although, to be honest, once I'm out there its quite enjoyable in an odd sort of way.

Anyway, looking ahead I've registered to do the Ride to the Sun in June

http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/

Carlisle to Cramond, Edinburgh through the night.

It is a long way for me but its time to crack this distance lark. My difficulty in the past has been maintaining energy over the course of a ride so if anyone has any tips for a 'little and often' eater I'd gladly give them a try

Nightmare getting back from the pub tonight. Pretty gusty. Will go a bit further when the wind drops and it gets a bit warmer.

I think I was a bit hasty in my call to arms. Mr C went out to do 100k this morning (he'd seen the forecast) and was battered by the wind

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, so apparently there has been a recall for my bike (just the fork, really), which I bought back in Jan 2013. The recall was first made around early 2014 but I just found out about it (they had to issue it again because the response was way too low). It says the fork could break leading to "possibly lethal" injuries. Supposedly it broke in one case... 

I'm a bit uncertain what to do now tbh, because I did the finishing assembly myself (came partly pre-assembled, I didn't touch the fork) and have been riding it a lot, high speeds and all without problems. They will send out a new fork with 30 bucks compensation, but frankly I can't be arsed exchanging the fork myself really. I ordered it online and the store is far far away from me.

No risk, no fun I guess.

• 5 weeks later...

Back on mine to work tomorrow now the weather is nice.

Lightweight!

Seriously, do you have showers at work? I love my bike but I cant get my head round cycling to work and all that getting changed malarkey

They're sticking them in for the summer. I take a towel, some baby wipes and have a tramp bath in the disabled bogs

*shudders*

I'm going to have to get my act together and get out on some long rides. I've a 100k event to do around the Scottish Borders on the 26th

*shudders*

I'm going to have to get my act together and get out on some long rides. I've a 100k event to do around the Scottish Borders on the 26th

It's a bit grim but by the time I get back from work at 5, baby time takes me to 7.30, eating, house stuff, etc it's 9pm and can I be fucked getting my cycling padded boxies on? Least this way I'm guaranteed 10 miles each time I do it. My colleAgues will just have to smell my taint

It's a bit grim but by the time I get back from work at 5, baby time takes me to 7.30, eating, house stuff, etc it's 9pm and can I be fucked getting my cycling padded boxies on? Least this way I'm guaranteed 10 miles each time I do it. My colleAgues will just have to smell my taint

You're quite right and I'm spoiled with my working hours. I could have never done the running I did had I worked office hours