You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

A few weeks ago a young Muslim girl said she’d been attacked by 3 blokes who’d tried to pull off her headscarf and shouting pro-Trump slogans. Seems like she was making it up to cover up for being late home.

She’s been in court this week and it seems her parents have shaved her head as punishment for having a Christian boyfriend. The world’s mad.

A few weeks ago a young Muslim girl said she’d been attacked by 3 blokes who’d tried to pull off her headscarf and shouting pro-Trump slogans. Seems like she was making it up to cover up for being late home.

She’s been in court this week and it seems her parents have shaved her head as punishment for having a Christian boyfriend. The world’s mad.

Under a headscarf... you’d have to ask does it matter that much to have a shaved head?

• 2 months later...

I've got to say that religion has supplied a fantastic amount of comfort to my whole family since my Dad's passing a few weeks ago and his funeral just a couple of days ago. He was a regular Mass goer(Roman Catholic) and the sense of community and social togetherness it provided him in his last years and his fellow parishioners,friends and family has been absolutely fantastic. While I am not much of a believer myself I do acknowledge and recognise the sense of society and community churches,temples,mosques,synagogues etc provide for both local communities and wider social circles too. I am sure our resident Rev will point this out too. I suppose religion itself is a lot like politics in that there are lots of fantastic people locally but when it becomes national and international it encourages some of the worst elements too.

In answer to my OP a few years back I'd say that faith is very individual and religion is a shared belief.

• Upvote 7

I've got to say that religion has supplied a fantastic amount of comfort to my whole family since my Dad's passing a few weeks ago and his funeral just a couple of days ago. He was a regular Mass goer(Roman Catholic) and the sense of community and social togetherness it provided him in his last years and his fellow parishioners,friends and family has been absolutely fantastic. While I am not much of a believer myself I do acknowledge and recognise the sense of society and community churches,temples,mosques,synagogues etc provide for both local communities and wider social circles too. I am sure our resident Rev will point this out too. I suppose religion itself is a lot like politics in that there are lots of fantastic people locally but when it becomes national and international it encourages some of the worst elements too.

In answer to my OP a few years back I'd say that faith is very individual and religion is a shared belief.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Vlad.

I have no faith or religious beliefs whatsoever, never have. But I have taken comfort from the 'routine and process' of a Catholic funeral over the years.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Vlad.

Thanks LF.

I have no faith or religious beliefs whatsoever, never have. But I have taken comfort from the 'routine and process' of a Catholic funeral over the years.

Yeah,it's something I've gone through many times with Uncles,Aunties,Cousins etc,who were pretty much all from a Catholic background. The local Catholic priest is actually Indian and a Bluenose. Despite this he is a decent man.

Yeah,it's something I've gone through many times with Uncles,Aunties,Cousins etc,who were pretty much all from a Catholic background. The local Catholic priest is actually Indian and a Bluenose. Despite this he is a decent man.

I've lost count of the number of Catholic funerals I've been too. 

Not really sure what 'it' is, just know it can give comfort.

I've lost count of the number of Catholic funerals I've been too.

Not really sure what 'it' is, just know it can give comfort.

Admit it, you're a Funeral Crasher looking to knob emotional women in need of comfort.

• Upvote 1

There's always some Jehovah's Witnesses outside the railway station in the morning, I always look at them & think they look a right bunch of fucking oddballs, not this morning though. There was a hot as fuck bird there, all librarian looking with thick rimmed specs & her hair up, absolutely amazing. Reminded me of Linda Cardellini from the Scooby Doo films.

How do you get into that racket anyway?

There's always some Jehovah's Witnesses outside the railway station in the morning, I always look at them & think they look a right bunch of fucking oddballs, not this morning though. There was a hot as fuck bird there, all librarian looking with thick rimmed specs & her hair up, absolutely amazing. Reminded me of Linda Cardellini from the Scooby Doo films.

How do you get into that racket anyway?

It’s called Flirty Fishing. You’ll be brain washed by Friday.

Very much my thoughts too.

We were never a religious family when I was growing up. Little bit of Sunday school here and there, but mostly we were only in churches for weddings, christenings and funerals.

After my mum lost a breast to cancer in 1997, she became a regular churchgoer, and remained so until that bastard disease came back via her lungs and finished her in 2001. Her faith and that of those who were around her was a massive support to her and really kept her fighting right to the end. And although I rarely touch it, I still keep her bible next to my bed to this day. I don't believe in God, but she did and that's fine by me.

• Upvote 6

My good friend is a vicar in London.

Here is a series of images of him:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2016/mar/02/photographer-jim-grover-london-priest-in-pictures

Here is the story behind it:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/21/moment-that-changed-me-faith-anglican-london-photgraphy

He is a good, good man who works hard every day to make the lives of others better.  His motivation?  His belief in God.

• Upvote 1

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2016/mar/02/photographer-jim-grover-london-priest-in-pictures

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/21/moment-that-changed-me-faith-anglican-london-photgraphy

He is a good, good man who works hard every day to make the lives of others better. His motivation? His belief in God.

Seems a very nice man,and the photographer has turned into a modern day 'Prodigal Son' it seems.

He is a good, good man who works hard every day to make the lives of others better. His motivation? His belief in God.

Not looking for a row, seems like a great bloke. But it seems weird to me the motivation is God rather than doing good for the sake of it.

• Upvote 1

Not looking for a row, seems like a great bloke. But it seems weird to me the motivation is God rather than doing good for the sake of it.

If he's a vicar for the church of England what else would his motivation be? I'd imagine that he sees God as the vehicle for which he does his good deeds.