You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is this the 50-over Final, Jairz?

So, is this the old NatWest Trophy, or the old Benson & Hedges Cup.

Or an amalgamation of them both?

Neither, I think. This is what used to be the 40 over Sunday league. I'm guessing that having ditched the Natwest and B+H Cups they wanted a final of some description (the old 40 over sunday league was just that, a league).

The Notts side has Hales, Lumb, Patel, Hussey, etc. They've also fucked off whichever bowlers got them to the final to put Swann and Broad in the side as well. Which is pretty much why I want Glamorgan to win. Alas, they won't.

Glamorgan are still just about one of the proper counties like Yorkshire, Durham, Lancashire, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Somerset. Counties with an identity, trying to play some local players, etc.

Some 20 year old that has played four games for Glamorgan, Andrew Salter,  has just taken their first wicket.

Neither, I think. This is what used to be the 40 over Sunday league. I'm guessing that having ditched the Natwest and B+H Cups they wanted a final of some description (the old 40 over sunday league was just that, a league).

The Notts side has Hales, Lumb, Patel, Hussey, etc. They've also fucked off whichever bowlers got them to the final to put Swann and Broad in the side as well. Which is pretty much why I want Glamorgan to win. Alas, they won't.

Glamorgan are still just about one of the proper counties like Yorkshire, Durham, Lancashire, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Somerset. Counties with an identity, trying to play some local players, etc.

Some 20 year old that has played four games for Glamorgan, Andrew Salter,  has just taken their first wicket.

Yeah, watching it on the box down here.

Notts does look a bit of a celebrity XI.

Perhaps they'll trot out Richard Hadlee when they bowl.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let you lads know I captained my first official game on the weekend, which also commenced my 15th season of cricket. At one stage we were in all sorts of shit at 7/35. Long story short, we won! Memorable in itself but the fact it was my captaincy debut made it even more special. :)

• Upvote 4

Just thought I'd let you lads know I captained my first official game on the weekend, which also commenced my 15th season of cricket. At one stage we were in all sorts of shit at 7/35. Long story short, we won! Memorable in itself but the fact it was my captaincy debut made it even more special. :)

Congrats, mate.

Get ready for the very best and very worst season of your life, regardless how well the team actually does.

How the fuck do Pakistan loose to Zimbabwe in a test one month then beat South Africa the next month?

Please try and answer with out using the word bookmakers or anything similar.

I don't think there is a team in world cricket whose best and worst performances are as far apart as these guys. A hot and cold team if ever there was one.

I don't think there is a team in world cricket whose best and worst performances are as far apart as these guys. A hot and cold team if ever there was one.

Normal service resumed by Pakistan as they where out for 99 batting first and South Africa (minus Amla) are currently on 460/4 at stumps on day 2.

WG Grace and Shane Warne in Wisden all-time World Test XI

Wisden has named four Englishmen in an all-time Test World XI to mark 150 years of the Cricketers' Almanack.

Openers Jack Hobbs and WG Grace are included, along with wicketkeeper Alan Knott and fast bowler Sydney Barnes.

The team is captained by legendary Australia batsman Don Bradman and features his countryman Shane Warne.

West Indians Viv Richards, Garry Sobers and Malcolm Marshall all make the XI along with India's Sachin Tendulkar and Wasim Akram of Pakistan. 

Wisden World XI

1. Jack Hobbs (England, 1908-1930)

61 Tests, 5,410 runs at 56.94

2. WG Grace (England, 1880-1899)

22 Tests, 1,098 runs at 32.29

3. Donald Bradman (Australia, 1928-1948 - captain)

52 Tests, 6,996 runs at 99.94

4. Sachin Tendulkar (India, 1989-2013)

198 Tests, 15,837 runs at 53.86

5. Viv Richards (West Indies, 1974-1991)

121 Tests, 8,540 runs at 50.23

6. Garry Sobers (West Indies, 1954-1974)

93 Tests, 8,032 runs at 57.78, 235 wickets at 34.03

7. Alan Knott (England, 1967-1981 - wicketkeeper)

95 Tests, 4,389 runs at 32.75, 250 catches, 19 stumpings

8. Wasim Akram (Pakistan, 1985-2002)

104 Tests, 414 wickets at 23.62

9. Shane Warne (Australia, 1992-2007)

145 Tests, 708 wickets at 25.41

10. Malcolm Marshall (West Indies, 1978-1991)

81 Tests, 376 wickets at 20.94

11. Sydney Barnes (England, 1901-14)

27 Tests, 189 wickets at 16.43

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/24640224

Cheating cunts.

South Africa were penalised five runs for ball tampering on the third day of the second Test against Pakistan in Dubai. Faf du Plessis was the player in the centre of the controversy and the ICC said its ruling on the incident will be announced tomorrow.

The ICC confirmed that the five-run penalty and the change of ball after 30 overs was due to ball tampering. "As per 42.1 of the ICC playing conditions, the umpires replaced the ball and fined South Africa team five penalty runs for ball tampering," an ICC spokesperson said.

The incident took place at the start of the 31st over of Pakistan's innings, two overs after tea, when umpires Ian Gould and Rod Tucker called South African captain Graeme Smith for a chat. The fourth umpire, Shozab Raza, brought a box of balls onto the field and a new one was selected for use.

No individual player has been charged yet but television images showed du Plessis rubbing the ball allegedly on the zipper of his trouser pocket.

The playing conditions (see sidebar) dealing with ball tampering were changed recently, coming into effect only from October 1. Any player found guilty of ball tampering, which is a Level Two offence, will be fined 50 to 100% of his match fee and/or get a ban of one Test or two ODIs or two Twenty20s, whichever come first.

South Africa were well in control of the Test, having taken a commanding 418-run first-innings lead, when the incident occurred.

The only other time a team was handed a five-run penalty for ball tampering was in the infamous Oval Test in 2006, in which Pakistan refused to take the field after the umpires deemed that the seam on the ball had been raised.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-south-africa-2013-14/content/current/story/682501.html

Virat Kohli has scored 17 ODI tons from only 118 games. 11 of them have come in run chases, of which India has won all 11 games. The guy is incredible. 

Who had this guy in his ODI Draft XI again? Yet all the plaudits went to the bowling attack!

RE: Wisden All-Time XI

Great team, which also considers more than just statistics. That said, I'm a bit surprised Gilchrist didn't get the keeper's gig. Not only are his numbers very impressive, they were actually so impressive he changed the way we look at wicketkeepers in the game now. Both his keeping stats and his batting stats could stand up on their own and warrant inclusion in any Test team in the world. Yet he did both!

Then there was his ODI record....

Virat Kohli has scored 17 ODI tons from only 118 games. 11 of them have come in run chases, of which India has won all 11 games. The guy is incredible. 

Who had this guy in his ODI Draft XI again? Yet all the plaudits went to the bowling attack!

Was it you?

It was:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/101094-cricket-odi-draft-rules-selections/page-11

He now has his 11th in 69 chases, behind only Sachin Tendulkar's 17 in 242 attempts.

Aussie why is it Bailey can't get in your test team? He just came the send fastest player to hit 1,500 runs in ODI which he has managed in 33 games.

So long as he doesn't fail dismally in a couple of first-class fixtures in the next couple of weeks (he averaged only 18 in FC domestic games last season), then I think he is a lock for the 1st Ashes Test in Brisbane late November.

• Upvote 1