You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

All these over sensitive, pc people on here, and there are many. Why is it that racism only seems to work 1 way, it's like it's a White trait. You never hear a black person call us White bastards etc? I have, many a time, but we don't take offence by it, soon as black gets mentioned the racism card gets pulled. I worked in a rough part of Brum for

2 years in the mid 90's in a predominantly black building site,and I have to say they were the worse racists I have ever met. I don't like racism in any form, but there's a lot of over sensitive pc correct people on here. What would happen if we had an awards

ceremony just for White music, to rival the MOBO's? I'd imagine there'd be uproar.The racism card gets pulled far too much now, were losing sight of what actually is or isn't racist. Why can't we celebrate our culture instead of worrying about other cultures living in our society? Christmas, Easter etc. Because these people are over sensitive & know that in this ridiculous pc world we live in,that as soon as The racist card is pulled people will have to listen. Pisses me right off, as I say I'm no racist but what I will say is that they use the racism card far too much.

Arguably the worst post ever.

Arguably the worst post ever.

Well it doesn't bear a great deal of relevance to the issue under discussion but I would agree that viewing this from afar it does seem that the moment a person of colour makes the cry of Racism everybody in the UK goes overboard in an attempt to be seen to want to rectify things.

As for Suarez it's all conjecture thus far with speculation now over him "possibly using the word Negrito". The sad part is that when Luis is cleared some of this mud will stick.

All these over sensitive, pc people on here, and there are many. Why is it that racism only seems to work 1 way, it's like it's a White trait. You never hear a black person call us White bastards etc? I have, many a time, but we don't take offence by it, soon as black gets mentioned the racism card gets pulled. I worked in a rough part of Brum for

2 years in the mid 90's in a predominantly black building site,and I have to say they were the worse racists I have ever met. I don't like racism in any form, but there's a lot of over sensitive pc correct people on here. What would happen if we had an awards

ceremony just for White music, to rival the MOBO's? I'd imagine there'd be uproar.The racism card gets pulled far too much now, were losing sight of what actually is or isn't racist. Why can't we celebrate our culture instead of worrying about other cultures living in our society? Christmas, Easter etc. Because these people are over sensitive & know that in this ridiculous pc world we live in,that as soon as The racist card is pulled people will have to listen. Pisses me right off, as I say I'm no racist but what I will say is that they use the racism card far too much.

A couple of points.

1) Who are 'they'?

b) Are you scared of Muslamic RayCams?

So as far as some people are concerned it's all his own fault. From the independant

Suarez 'only has himself to blame' for storm over alleged slur

Striker had chance to apologise, says Kick It Out – but Poyet accuses Evra of 'crying like a baby'

Ian Herbert, Nick Szczepanik Friday 18 November 2011

inShare.0Print Your friend's email address Your email address Note: We do not store your email address(es) but your IP address will be logged to prevent abuse of this feature. Please read our Legal Terms & Policies

A A A Email Latest in Premier League

Suarez 'only has himself to blame' for storm over alleged slur

Leon Britton: Loving the big time

Fighting-fit Redknapp is back in hot seat for Villa

Fearless Rodgers aims to pile pressure on United

Torres: Reds fans don't know truth

Culture shock behind spitting row – Martinez

Premier League betting preview: Newcastle can prove tough to crack

Thierry Henry trains with Arsenal

Sammy Ameobi signs new Newcastle deal

Dennis Wise rejoins Chelsea Pitch Owners board

Ads by Google

Learn Forex Trading

Trade With Bforex Experts, Open A

Free $100,000 Demo Account.

Forex Trading | bforex.com

Top Ranked Global MBA

Ranked #3 in the World by Financial

Times. Designed for Top Executives.

TRIUM Global Executive MBA, top ranked alliance of NYU Stern, LSE and HEC Paris

Dimension Prime 3

Excellent cover and ample insured

benefits from R1,482 p/m.

http://www.medihelp.co.za

Expat In South Africa?

Do You Have £70K to £1.8m In UK

Pensions? Free QROPS Guide!

QROPSpensiondesigner.com/FreeGuide

1 / 1The Uruguayan FA - and Gus Poyet - have leapt to the defence of Luis SuarezGetty Images

Suggested Topics Uruguay

Spain

Diplomacy

London

Luis Suarez has only himself to blame for the racism charge he now faces because he failed to apologise for, or personally explain, the Spanish slang which he claims has been the cause of the anger felt by Manchester United's Patrice Evra, the Kick it Out organisation said last night.

Liverpool are preparing a defence of the Uruguayan striker which will centre on the striker's declaration that he used a word which Evra's "team-mates at Manchester call him." That word might be negrito, which means "little black man" in Spanish, but is used in South America both as a term of endearment and as a gentle wind-up.

It is possible that an apology for any perceived slight could have enabled Liverpool to avoid a Football Association commission hearing which left their manager, Kenny Dalglish, reflecting yesterday on how his club have been on the receiving end of a series of perceived injustices from the football authorities. But none has been forthcoming, with the first public suggestion that Suarez used any slang coming when he addressed the Uruguyan press last week.

A spokesman for Kick It Out said last night: "It would appear that Patrice Evra had no other option than to lodge a complaint in the absence of an apology or any sort of explanation. The process has begun and we await the outcome."

The FA's decision, on Tuesday evening, to charge Suarez with abuse that "included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Patrice Evra" divided opinion intensely yesterday, with the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) preparing to throw its weight behind Liverpool's attempts to demonstrate that Suarez is not guilty.

Liverpool are preparing a defence which will centre on the allegedly benign nature of slang derived from the Spanish word for black, negro. The AUF is seeking help from the Uruguayan Embassy in London and its own Foreign Office as it seeks to bolster that aspect of the case for the impending hearing.

The sense of indignation felt by Uruguayans was also graphically revealed when the Brighton & Hove Albion manager, Gustavo Poyet, accused Evra of "crying like a baby" over alleged racist comments and another to join the Suarez cause last night was Liverpool's first black player, Howard Gayle, who insisted Liverpool would not support the player if he were guilty.

Poyet is concerned that the charges brought against his compatriot set a dangerous precedent. "I believe [with] Luis Suarez, it's simple," he said. "I played football for seven years in Spain and was called everything, because I was from South America , and I never went out crying like a baby, like Patrice Evra, saying that someone said something to me. I'm really sad about this charge because it's going to become too easy. I can make a complaint about any opposition manager, and if I take it as far as I can he's going to get charged. Why are we going to take one person's word over another one's? It's too risky."

Poyet, 44 , claimed there was insufficient evidence against Suarez, though the FA has been acutely aware of the linguistic complexities of the case. Its painstaking work on linguistic nuance has largely contributed to the investigation taking five weeks and careful reading of the more serious of two charges could see Suarez escape relatively lightly if he is found to have included a reference to the "colour" or Evra, rather than "ethnic origin" or "race." There is a significant difference between the Spanish word for black – negro, of which negrito is a derivation – and the same word in its widely understood racial context. The substantial number of United players interviewed by the FA may be key to the commission hearing.

Dalglish said Liverpool had felt they were on the receiving end of a lot. "Everybody at every football club thinks that someone can do better or be more helpful but you just get on with it," he said. "Most of the time you don't want to say anything but if you don't say anything they'll walk all over you. They might still walk all over us anyway but you've got to justify yourself, you've got to have an opinion and you've got to make a statement of a belief you've got. At the end of the day we know we've got to play the game and we will play it but it doesn't mean we haven't got an opinion about when we're playing it and it also doesn't mean to say we've got an excuse. "

The manager, who said he wanted the commission to do its work "quickly but correctly," insisted that the charge hanging over Suarez would not affect his form "for any other reason than, like everyone else, sometimes you don't play as well as you are capable of playing."

Former Liverpool star John Barnes says society is to blame for racism problem that football just can't shift

John Barnes, the former England international who endured racist abuse during his distinguished career, admits he is “not surprised’’ by the latest ugly incidents because football reflects a society taking time to shed ingrained prejudices.

‘’I’m not condoning what Sepp Blatter has said or John Terry, if he’s proven to be guilty,’’ Barnes said. “I think Blatter should resign over many things, and this is just one. But those thoughts are based on stereotypical views drummed into us over a long period of time.

“People have been told for 400 years since slavery that black people aren’t as intelligent as white.

“White players always said to me: ‘You can call me ‘a white so and so’, I don’t mind’. But that’s because society has indoctrinated us over the past 400 years to think that that’s like saying ‘you handsome so and so’. That’s why white players aren’t offended. They’re empowered. Black people aren’t empowered; 99 per cent of black individuals would be offended being called ‘a black so and so’ because we’ve had 400 years of being dehumanised.

“We don’t know whether the allegations about John Terry and Luis Suárez are true. What we do know is that it’s happened before. The words they are alleged to have said have been said in the past year but it hasn’t been reported. Now and then there’s an incident and people are surprised. I’m not. I know it’s there.

“Any black player knows this. We’ve played against players, got into an altercation, looked him in the eye, he’s not said anything, but you know he’s thinking “you black ----’. He wants to say it but doesn’t because he knows he’ll get into trouble. That happens very often. When I played they actually said it. They called me n----- to my face. It happened in training, in matches. Any black player of my generation had it. In 1984 with England in Brazil, I had it with the National Front.”

Four years later, the then Liverpool winger was targeted by Everton fans at Goodison Park.

“I had bananas thrown at me and monkey chants at West Ham and Millwall five years before that Everton game but because it was a high-profile match everyone took notice. It had been going on for ages. There wasn’t a game in the Eighties when you didn’t get racial abuse as a black player. I got racist abuse at Liverpool when I played for Watford. Then I played for Liverpool and didn’t get it. If I had played for Everton against Liverpool then maybe the Liverpool fans would have racially abused me.

“A lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon now about Blatter, saying he’s wrong – and he is. But if you want to have a South African-style Truth and Reconciliation Commission, get in every manager and player who is over 40 and ask them: ‘Say you have never used the N-word?’ Most won’t be able to. Much more than 75 per cent of people back then in the Eighties would have.

“But people could not get under my skin. I’m a middle-class Jamaican boy and where I was brought up in Jamaica [in a wealthy military household] I was not meant to feel second-class. If I was brought up in England, I’d possibly see things differently. Ian Wright dealt with racism differently to how I did.

“Racism’s still a big problem in football. Racism can be invisible. How many black managers in England are there? Two. Black managers are given very short periods of time because people don’t believe they are up to the job. That’s racism. It’s not just a white thing. Look at the hierarchy of black African football who believe European coaches are better than black African. They treat black coaches with disdain. There’s this black dynamic of not feeling good enough.

“We are all racist to a certain extent. We all make presumptions about other people based on their colour, culture or ethnicity in variable degrees. We judge people even on their accents. When Eric Cantona said what he said about trawlers and seagulls, he’s a philosopher because of the French accent. It sounds intelligent. If Paul Merson said it in his Cockney accent, we’d say he was talking rubbish.

“Race, for me, should be social and cultural, rather than the colour of your skin. Anton Ferdinand would have more in common with John Terry than he does with some West African from Nigeria. John Terry will have more in common with Anton Ferdinand than a Slav from Eastern Europe who happens to be white. Racism is such a complex subject.”

So what’s the way ahead? “Football can do nothing about getting rid of racism. Society has to [do it], through education and people understanding why they feel the way they do. Prejudice is a problem all over the world. I’m surprised when I see black people in the higher echelons of society. I know the most powerful man in the world is black [barack Obama] but 400 years of indoctrination into thinking about a group of people as inferior is not going to change overnight. There was the human rights movement in the 1960s and yet 20 years ago we were still being racially abused – and it was accepted.”

Now 48, Barnes does see hope for the future. “My children don’t get racially abused. There’s a new British culture; those from 10 to 25 now identify with each other, whether black, white, Indian, Chinese.

“Black kids once upon a time would hold on to their West Indian or African identity because of their parents. Black kids now are British. Indian girls are wearing miniskirts and going out dancing. White kids are listening to black music. We are going through a transitional period.’’ Leaving the unreconstructed likes of Blatter behind.

Former Liverpool star John Barnes says society is to blame for racism problem that football just can't shift - Telegraph

What's a racism card?

"Happy Birthday, you fucking black cunt

Love, Brave John Terry"

A spokesman for Kick It Out said last night: "It would appear that Patrice Evra had no other option than to lodge a complaint in the absence of an apology or any sort of explanation. The process has begun and we await the outcome."

so thats what Patrice wanted was it, Luis to come grovelling in front of him. Racism my arse, Patrice is just a whining cunt.

If this was really about racism an apology wouldn't be needed. He would pursue it till the end, but that statment suggests he would have walked away had Luis begged for his forgiveness.

Gus Poyet on talksport said Suarez 100% not racist and was talking about cultural differences which has got a few cockney wankers up in arms and you can tell that Manc cunt Ronnie O 'Rani and that fat cunt Brazil want Suarez to be found guilty by the way they talk.

I hardly ever listen to the sports radio anymore.Its full of self important bellends like Collymore,quite rich coming from a man that slap a woman or general rent a gobs like Savage and the wankers on talk shite.I happily listening to The Allman brothers on the security desk.